What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Thought I might add a bit more to my own recent adventures here. First, I'd like to share this picture since I think it's well one of the better ones I've managed to take during my time playing KSP. Really not much that needs to be said beyond that:

B32E4716C969BBF0BBBB7C70283C40FD6FD3EE7E

Basically, for the first time in KSP, I've sent a Kerbal (in this case, Neilton Kerman) on an interplanetary mission and brought said Kerbal back home safely. Not sure why I never tried this before but it's done now. It was a simple affair really; leave Kerbin, orbit Eve, flyby Gilly and come home. I got about 860 science points for my trouble and this is the craft I used - shown here in a more illuminated fashion:

754BC66EFAC429F685A6BA842E8D36C18CD3BE45

Anyway it was an exciting trip, glad I got it done and also glad I didn't try to land on Gilly, it turns out I needed that 400 m/s of Delta-V once I made my Kerbin-return burn. Good day everyone!

I was thinking 25 boosters was going to be enough for the first stage.

Turns out the magic number was actually 57!

That's a very small rocket...

Sent Jeb to the Mun again. Got enough science points to unlock the Mk1 Can and the Skipper engine, so I'm now thinking of a no-nukes trip to Duna or its environs.

Fiddled around with a delivery system for my Hellfury rover. Didn't particularly like the results.

My Evepod is loading again!

6lmjHpc.png

Turns out it was the mapsat chip bugging things up. I'm so glad to have it back, a lot of careful design went into that thing.

I drove it into the sunset.

5FK7KKD.png

Then, I took it for a spin in the ocean. It is carefully tuned to KSP water physics.

Ytog9Zi.png

For the final part of the shakedown, I took it to Airstrip Island, where it demonstrated its terrain handing capability.

It's ready for the long term mission. We leave for Eve at the next window.

After sheltering the heat and acid-proof vehicle in the sheds, I derped around the Old Airfield for a while.

1JEU7uB.png

With these, a mechjeb and an RTG, I made the tower into a temporary lighthouse.

Today I wanted to get my first space station part into orbit.

Sadly, during the first attempts I had not enough fuel for getting the orbit done (was about ~1900m/s). So I decided to send my Kerbals on EVA for some nice light show. Suicided Jeb.

After some time I was finally able to establish my first space station part in a small 100km orbit. I´m planning on docking some more fuel onto it for increasing the orbit.

http://imgur.com/a/KLewD

Staging is kind of tricky with this one because the first two rings are just powerfull enough for lifting this if all engines are firing. As soon as I get rid of some (because of my precious design) the whole ship begins to fall. Only the last ring is capable of pushing the remaining weight into near orbit.

With two remaining engines I will then establish an orbit.

I´m pretty proud of it :)

Maybe I can finally go on a rescue mission for my long lost Kerbal who is just orbiting the sun since the beginning.

Today I went to the Jool system for the first time. I found out why people seem to go there so often: it's a blast using the various moons to slingshot yourself around the system. It was going to be my final science-oriented mission in career, as well, which was beyond successful. Got tons and tons of science, I don't even know how much, but at least 7000. This was with only a probe, and I only landed on Pol, so I didn't get crew reports, EVA reports, or surface samples, and very little in the way of surface experiments (as I mentioned, only landed on Pol).

If I start a thread on huge rockets, will you please show me how to make this?

Sure!

I explained quite a bit of their construction in this thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51961-Post-some-of-your-huge-rockets-for-distant-missions/page4

You might want to look on youtube for allmuhran's thrust-plate video, I was explaining the construction to him, and it's based on some of the techniques he used for his thrust plate launchers.

Anything specific you want to know, just ask.

I put Jeb as the first career landing on the Mun and brought him back alive.

My design worked flawlessly on the first go, pretty chuffed as it's the first time I've ever done a landing on the mun with a single part ship.

Although rendevous are hard, a single vessel ship has it's own set of challenges. In someways I think the apollo style CM/LM configuration is easier.

All I did today was put a Kethane satellite and a VTOL SSTO space plane in orbit of Duna. Oh and then I crashed the satellite into Duna after I mapped enough of it to get my landing site down.

KS-2D my Kethane Satellite for Duna

2eyi.jpg

And SVO-9A Goat in orbit of Duna... Mission time T+104days

76x1.jpg

Last night i landed my Permanent Manned Science Rover on Duna, packed with all kinds of experiments and loads of battery. Netted me around 2500 science just repeatedly transmitting the results from near orbit and surface (i had already done high orbit in a previous mission)

Bae8hwG.jpg

So far I have launched survey rockets to land in different terrains on Kerbin, circled Kerbin a few times, built an exploration plane for more precise landings (which was a hell to land, so I shelved that), made a flyby of Mun and Minmus (did I ... ?), shot a probe into Kerbols orbit, sent Jeb into Kerbols orbit parallel to Kerbin for a few days and wasted weeks of his and my time aerobraking at to high an altitude over Kerbin - played it to safe obviously, but 3km/s at PE felt just to much at first.

Science yield from this wasnt that plenty, flyby of Mun was to high to get any biomes (not enough fuel for more), though I can already read some of the 550pt. nodes in the tech tree, but still not bought them. Now with the seismic gizmo I should start landing probes on the Mun - somehow I dont feel able to land a can and bring it back yet, I miss the big tanks and engines and my designs often seem to lack dV for anything big - career mode gets me back to learn more, I think!

Flew a mission to Mun's east side crater. Unlocked Specialized Construction from the science I collected (also did Space Exploration, but only because that was the last of the Tier 4 techs I had left to unlock; I didn't really need it at all). Designed a lander and separate two-way no-nukes transfer stage for a KOR mission to Duna. Launched the transfer stage; realized after it was up there that I'd designed the asparagus booster accounting for the mass of the lander, so it wound up with way more fuel than it needed.

Built/launched a long-range science probe; nothing's in phase so I haven't done much else with it yet. During testing I was able to fly it to the VAB helipad and land it successfully (though I had to add a chute to do it).

Today I took another shot at interplanetary. First attempt took almost a year KSP time, but I touched a probe down on ike after gathering some data from dunas orbit, then ikes orbit, before touching down.

The second probe - same model, a Kerbasat 3 - got flung right at duna, first on a 30km flyby, then 10km, which turned out to give me a very unexpected opening for a landing. Took me two tries, but I managed to touch the probe down with a good amount of fuel to spare, so got about almost 700 science out of that run alone.

Now I'm working on Kerbasat 3-N, which uses an LV-N instead of an LV-909 as interplanetary. A beefier launcher to get it going, and I hope to get a good deal more mileage out of it that way and reach some inner planets. The probe itself also has been improved with some folding solar panels, so it can regain its - admittedly pretty sizable - energy buffer faster.

I sent a two probe mission to Duna. I inserted one into orbit around duna and then used to Duna to bend the other into an orbit around Ike.

Commenced science at both then landed the Ike probe.

After landing the Ike probe and breaking a solar panel I landed the Duna probe on Duna. The Duna landing went fine and I started more SCIENCE.

Then I took off from Ike to drop my second probe on Duna's north pole.

TIL that Duna's polar caps are really tall. I came down to steep and too fast and didn't realize that the ice caps were 5,000 meters high. Boom goes the probe.

Worked on getting my VToL SSTO to Laythe. This was not all done in one day, it took a while so some of this is a bit older and the pictures are out of order but tell the basic story of what happened.

7CE4C08A227CD3047025C84E488BB9B921C29B3F

AFE7E4C163F99F64CA57398DDB4AD4A8945A94C5

630748EEBFE5A2571C99E7ABA1738D562AAF4C24

9F8AB85C63D6E8111F32E88F9E4D52CA851DE4DD

Docking both of these was fairly challenging, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

DF430DACFF20398C223EE40C2C1F50876619455C

On approach!

66B1D1CBA02093A1DB4E5E4C0FE8AAAF14E1F39E

4A7313B96687C330B0AF516C3AFB5AA753E04072

148C55D8BB32183D73559402F066F35062125747

F67B69F97B23C1D2A620BB49D3471F334BC63566

Romeo Down safely.

AFC7BB204868CD8C324169283D3D749F2B5902CE

Juliet safely parked in orbit awaiting refuel.

634BD4DB8EAB9D9C00E66685E1A89CF9D3DE449F

Shakespeare safely in orbit, but badly damaged from Aero-capture. Missing three engines, two small docking ports and a large docking port. Predictably the three ships separated while aero braking but I hadn't brought them low enough to hit the ground so all three came out the other side and I simply adjusted their orbits from there. Thankfully two of the remaining engines are aligned so the tug can still be used, disabled the other engines.

5AE7CD31AA90B67CF1FB642BDF9F6AC12A3BDA89

AC7AC17FAB1B86439284D728C3DFC478655D4791

Edited by [email protected]