What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Landed a habitat on Eve, so Jeb has somewhere to live while I pick him up.

It missed.

The delivery stage then accelerated back out of Eve's SOI with a carefully-timed burn, and proceeded to park itself in a nice low orbit of Moho with next to no fuel left.

Exactly. That was my issue on Minmus. It was a 20 ton rover capable of lifting a lot on Kerbin... Had to add 20t on weights only (the KAS hooks are 1t each! Great for adding weight to balance things). Now is the Minmus rover 46 tons and quite stable.

User hyperedit to test it on Minmus. It went crazy like a kangaroo on steroids. Tested on the Mun and it did fine. That is until i start testing the top speed and turning capacity. Then it BUMMM.

Going to test on Duna before attaching it to the rocket. Only have two more KSP days before the transfer window opens for Duna.

Minmus already has a heavy mining base with orbit capability for refueling the mission to Duna so this rover will not go there.

wLFNQen.jpg

Tested out my new utility truck chassis (far right), and made a Kethane and Kerbal Transport out of it. Now to make a plane large enough to fly them to the other side of Kerbin where the kethane miner was dropped

Not all were successful in the tests though, atleast the brake lights still work ...

y6Aiz27.jpg

I did a lot of testing on designs for a new interplanetary spacecraft system:

Given that our updated Munshine V was once again quite a hit, Wayfare engineers have set their sights higher and further - to Duna and beyond! Going to the Mun and back seems like a fairly cozy backyard adventure compared to the conquest of interplanetary space. In order to put Kerbals on distant bodies, we'll need all sorts of cool stuff: bases, exploration vehicles, crew shuttles... Oh my.

We decided to develop a MOdular Mission System, MOMS. Using a series of "core" modules (basically a collection of Senior docking ports strapped around an RCS, power and control unit) we aim to create a variety of mission modules and propulsion kits that will allow you to assemble the mission of your dreams. Jeb snuck a camera into the Improbably Dangerous Experiments Agency (IDEA) proving grounds and got you these pictures:

fA8D6Lc.jpg

An updated "Munophant" exploration rover, based on that fine space truck which saw foul-mouthed space trucker Herbo Kerman and his crew explore some Mun arches, sits atop our newly developed Munshine VI 20-ton launcher.

0SCf1rd.png

Detached from the Munshine VI second stage, the Munophant descends back into Kerbin's atmosphere for a landing test.

2s3a3Ns.png

It burns real pretty!

Cwr6k7V.png

Drogue chutes deploy as the now obsolete docking port heat shield decouples.

aVwXocV.png

With main chutes deployed the Munophant comes down perfectly vertical. Note the extended, one-sided landing legs.

l6lLQzf.jpg

Engine power is used to slow down the final descent. The landing package has enough thrust and fuel to set the Munophant down on the Mun - and therefore any non-atmospheric body except Tylo.

ekYLYyF.png

Remember those landing legs? As soon as they hit the surface, the chutes cut and the whole thing tips over to drop the Munophant on its wheels. The landing package is decoupled with the engines still running so it burns away and crashes a safe(ish) distance from the payload. This is ground-breaking engineering, folks!

RBudGm5.png

The Munophant ditches its ballast RCS tanks and surveys the wreckage of the descent package.

TJcdeKN.png

Well guess who snuck himself aboard the Munophant cockpit - it's Jeb!

s5Ivp5A.png

Here, the Munophant is being docked to an experimental surface base. Note the MOMS core module at the far end. Multiple mission modules like these can be joined together, have a propulsion module plugged in the back and be flown to any body your heart desires (except Tylo, and Eve is a one-way sort of thing).

Sent up something to scan the Mun, to investigate Kethane and Ore locations, to consider the logistics for my new base.

Not one to do things by halves, I made a ship that could scan for Ore, Kethane, perform a Mapsat scan, as well as visual examination.

SL3vQWQl.jpg

Werhwin Kerman spent five days above the Mun, making observations, taking measurements, and monitoring the systems. He changed orbits several times, to accommodate the different scanner properties.

As I neglected to include return systems, and used up all most all the fuel, Werhwin had to be picked up. My Mun rescue/canyon investigation mission rendezvoused with him on their way home, giving him the last seat.

Did you know you can push kerbals up a ladder?

uGKlhr9l.png

I also "simulated" something near the site for the base...

IkvzhSPl.jpg

Without great success..

Then, it was time to start landing important things.

Fairings look funny.

5QLYI0il.jpg

I had mechjeb land whackjob-esque wheel shape module right on top of a pre-placed marker. Hopefully it will be able to store enough parts to build something useful when that part of the mod gets updated.

8qg9dkPl.png

And that looks like plenty for one post.

Finally got my first Kethane extractor and refinery down on the Mun. I found that the 4 rtg's we're sufficient to constantly power the two large drills when extracting nor to constantly power the converters. But I managed to fill up, fully refuel the rig and then fill up with kethane again. I then was able to launch, rendezvous and dock with Harmony Station (my Mun station) carrying a full load of kethane.

Tonight I'm going to design a refinery and storage module for Harmony. This will launch and rendezvous with the tug docked at Rhapsody Station (my LKO station) and then on to Harmony. Then a probably redesigned surface extractor with more power and I'll crash the old one on the surface.

The long term goal of all of this is to allow the Mun to act as my refueling point for interplanetary craft. Once that's done set up a similar one around either Duna or Ike, which will be called Symphony Station.

In an attempt to make up for the lack of debris in orbit, the Kessler Project was started, which would put hundreds of small pieces of debris in several different low orbits around Kerbin. The first launch put up 580 pieces of debris.

Now that's how rings should be around any new gas giant! LOL!

Yep, that's nice, going to make a manned kethane truck and send it to minmus. where science exists lol!

Finished my Apocalypse 7 mission to the Mun last night. Landed two kilometers off the NAM and jetpacked Jeb out to Bullseye - he had about 30% left in the tank by the time he got there. Took Bullseye out to a Hellrider that had busted its wheels four klicks from the NAM and had Jeb fix it; went ahead and drove the Hellrider the rest of the way to the NAM, fulfilling its original mission. I gotta say, the Hellhound may be safer to drive, but the Hellriders are a lot more fun on the new Mun. Slightest bump sends them flying but they're so stable they wind up in all kinds of positions.

That Hellrider drove forty kilometers to get to the NAM from its lithobraking point; I need to update my ribbons.

Then it was time to drive Jeb back to his ship. Six kilometers. Had a scary moment about a klick out where Bullseye was going too fast and hit a bump; that's the first and only time I've ever seen a Hellhound 7 rover flip. Landed upside down with Jeb still in the seat; he stayed in. Was able to right it with some its probe-core torque and off we went. Got Jeb back to the Apocalypse, drove Bullseye back to its parking spot at the NAM, and sent Jeb home.

I also finally, finally have a booster that will get the Castle Romeo 7 into orbit without having to cannibalize the payload's fuel. With luck I'll be sending it to the Mun tonight or tomorrow.

Work also continuing on KCP.

Brought Jeb, Bill and Bob back from the munar surface. This was not without any problems as they seemed to not have enough fuel to do a Munar escape burn. Luckely I could get them close to my space station in orbit around Mun and I could rescue our beloved trio with the Kerbin-Mun shuttle. After a transfer to my "parking station" around Kerbin they have now landed safely on Kerbin's oceans. Still no deaths :)

Total and utter failure.

A few days ago I put together my first Munar landing since .20. Ran out of fuel and crashed on the way down. Opps. First time I've created a failed Munar lander in ages.

Then last night (after a couple of days ago boosting a new Mun mission to Kerbin orbit) I went to land on the Mun, with a rover underneath this time. I landed on a bit too much of a slope and toppled. I figured I could right it, but I wanted to drop the rover first. Big mistake, I didn't get a Kerbal on it first...so it slid down the slope for 2km periodically breaking pieces off and blowing them up :blush:

I then righted the lander and took jetted up the mountain I landed nearby (that big double crater with the trench right around the Munar terminator with the far side to the left looking at the Mun, smaller/top crater rim wall was my landing spot). I got to the top, planet my flag on top of "Mons Adaquetus" and went to return to the lander. Since I couldn't see Kerbin from the top because a higher peak was nearby, I figured jetting up higher. I got to about 1km high and Kerbin rose behind the mountain peak. Beautiful view...and then I came in WAY too fast landing next to the lander and snuffed a Kerbal. Apparently as I switched back to the lander I accidently still had my finger on the shift button desperately trying to save my kerbal...well it was just enough thrust I couldn't recover and the lander tipped over and rolled down the slope breaking apart.

dang.

I did at least return my one orbiting Kerbal in my CSM above the Mun to Kerbin safely.

Time to redo the mission tonight/tomorrow. Time to find a flat landing spot.

Today I almost made a robotic Mun sample return vehicle, almost because it couldn't quite achieve the return part, best I could get after 4 attempts was a 200km kerbin perapisis. But it looked like it would work and thats all that matters really :)

y0m4.png

Then I sent a 1st crew to my Minmus base, the transfer vehicle really performed above my estimates (well guesses, I don't calculate anything beyond, hmm that looks enough)

6z1.png

The transfer vehicle returning home via the Mun, I have left the boost stage in orbit So later Minmus missions can use a smaller lifter.

h97k.png

Then I messed about with a new lander design, possibly for Duna. If the pilot survives then its technically a success right?

nigw.png

Edited by Shania_L
Spelling

Over past few evenings i built and landed a rover on Duna. After that i sent an old rocket design to Minmus after landing i used a RCS powered rover and EVA pack to return Jeb from Minmus back to Kerbin. Bill and Bob then climbed back to the lander and set out to land on the Mun.