[0.90] Procedural Dynamics - Procedural Wing 0.9.3 Dec 24

DYJ

Hmm, I have to retract my earlier statement. I can't figure out WHAT is causing the game to crash, but it's clearly pWings-related. Whether it be while I'm pressing 'G' to change the shape of a wing, or just swapping between the scenes, when I'm dealing with a pWing on my craft it has a tendency to crash. The problem is it's a hard crash, straight to desktop with just a KSP stopped working. The log doesn't show anything useful beyond showing me placing pWings and the part count changing. The crash folder doesn't even have all the normal files, just error.log and report.ini. If other people aren't experiencing these crashes I have to assume pWings isn't playing nice with one of my other mods and the only thing I can think of, since I'm in the editor, is maybe the latest version of editor extensions. I'll try to wrangle a better bug report out of this but it's just frustrating that no one else seems to be having these crashes and the logs aren't turning up anything useful.

EDIT: So, after a two hour flight and multiple trips to the SPH I forgot about the bug. I removed editor extensions and the game hasn't crashed yet so hopefully that was the offending mod, but as for why it conflicts with pWings I cannot say. If anyone else experiences odd crashes in the editor, you might look there.

Edited by Hyomoto

Do I have to have FAR installed? I have this mod with stock KSP aerodynamics and using these wings apparently kraken the crap out of any plane I make . They work good on the runway, but then 15 - 20 seconds after lift off, the camera does a wierd pan scan and then the physics go to some nasty crap. My plane then starts to get grabbed by the rear end and pushed into directions its not suppose to go.

Considering how ungainly planes are in stock ... maybe?

EDIT: I found something on that crash. This is from the output_text.log:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

stage count is: 0

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Proceduralwing2 added to ship - part count: 13

Proceduralwing2 added to ship - part count: 14

[VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.KnownPartMarker_1_7_2_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.KnownPartMarker

[VersionTaggedType] found KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.KnownPartMarker_1_7_2_0 for KSPAPIExtensions.PartMessage.KnownPartMarker

tlsf_create: Pool size must be between 3208 and 1073745020 bytes.
Crash!!!

I don't know if it's pWings-specific, but these seem to only happen when I'm working in the SPH with EE installed. I launched several large missions yesterday including adding a piece to my space station and flying halfway around Kerbin and back in a plane. No crashes until I started building a new plane, and not until I started forming a new set of pWings.

Edited by Hyomoto

I just installed this mod and loaded up KSP. The first thing I did was head over to the SPH to try it out. I plopped a wing on a fuselage and tried to reshape it with the t, g, & b keys but I get nothing when I drag my mouse over the wing. The mod seems to be installed correctly, the "ProceduralDynamics" folder is in the Game Data folder with the rest of my add-ons. I looked in the in game debug log, but I didn't see any mention of this mod. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I just installed this mod and loaded up KSP. The first thing I did was head over to the SPH to try it out. I plopped a wing on a fuselage and tried to reshape it with the t, g, & b keys but I get nothing when I drag my mouse over the wing. The mod seems to be installed correctly, the "ProceduralDynamics" folder is in the Game Data folder with the rest of my add-ons. I looked in the in game debug log, but I didn't see any mention of this mod. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Try dragging your mouse OVER the top , as in changing the camerea view so your looking down at the wing from the ceiling. Did it for me.

Figured out why it's not working for me. Turns out I have to use the Pwing parts in the SPH. I thought this mod would let me resize any of the wings in game. The reason I couldn't get it to work was because on my career mode game, I haven't unlocked and Pwing parts yet. I started poking around in the Sandbox mode and found the Pwing parts. They work great. Now I just have to move along on my career game to unlock these things.

They work in both the VAB and SPH. However, you may have to rotate your vehicle in the VAB to be able to make the reshaping work better (i.e. shift-click on the vehicle, use A to rotate it horizontal, click to put down. Now try reshaping wings). It's all about the axes involved...

When I add B 9 landing gear to a wing the second symmetry one is on the opposite side of the wing pressing R works for fixing this for adding tails but not B9 landing gear. Anyway to fix this?

Edited by LMA

Control Surfaces seem to not autosnap. Is that intended?

When I want to add a Control Surface to a Wing it snaps to the part of the wing closest to the body of the plane. When I then enlarge the length of the control surface the two mirrored control surfaces clip through the body of the plane before they reach the desired length…

When I want to add a Control Surface to a Wing it snaps to the part of the wing closest to the body of the plane. When I then enlarge the length of the control surface the two mirrored control surfaces clip through the body of the plane before they reach the desired length…

I had the same issue. Press C to turn off the angle snap, that will allow you to put the control surfaces on anywhere on the wing.

My wings dont change shape. What can i do to fix that? I reinstalled this 2 times and i still have the same issue.

It is described in the first post of thread. First attach desired wing on craft. Then hover mouse over the wing and press "G" key.

While you hold "G" key move mouse (up or down depends if you want to strech it or shrink it).

I suggest that you first strech wing with "G" key and after that change shape of root (how wide wing is near hull) by holding "B" and moving mouse. After that use the same to change size of wing near tip with "T" key.

Once you have desired size, use "G" and left-right mouse move to change swept of wing.

For advanced users it sounds like stupid qestion, but for noobs to this mod it is not so intuitive, it require some time to figure out.

I had the same issue. Press C to turn off the angle snap, that will allow you to put the control surfaces on anywhere on the wing.

Yeah, I've got the same problem, and using FAR I have to have the control surfaces centered with the wing (and my OCD), so I can't not use angle snap... this is a shame :(

The b9 procedural wing and all moving wing don't like each other. Try placing the b9 wing, then try to attach an all moving wing... the side that autoattaches to the b9 wing is wrongly scaled and cannot be rescaled (B-key doesnt work).

For some reason, all my non-moving wings cannot be placed/stuck on anything when I'm trying to build my spaceplane. It stays green, indicating it can be stuck on, but when I click, it doesn't stick and it just flickers green again.

This time I have installed PW and other mods trough CKAN. Between other mods I also installed MemoryUsage. That was alowed me to see strange memory leaking in SPH editor. It is related with procedural wings.

Whenever you resize wings small amount of memory is consumed each time. Memory usage is increased each time you resize some wing until game finally CTD.

It can be prevented if you watch memory usage and when it is near critical area (3.3 GB in my case) then you can save and load craft in SPH editor.

This will reset memory usage to "normal" level. In my customized game it is near 2.8 GB due to larga number of used parts.

I hope that this helps to narrow down bug and other users to make workaround of this.

An interesting infobit for those who use pWings without FAR/NEAR:

While going through the source to raise lift ratios (which for my taste, were too low), i noticed something i haven't seen mentioned before.

With pWings, stock aerodynamics (or really anything but FAR/NEAR) will respect wingshape, regarding drag and lift generated! Don't get overexited though: It doesn't do anything dynamic during flight..... however, when you size a pWing, the applied lift and drag values do consider wing shape - well, as long as you don't mount them 180deg rotated x_x

Krakenwing:

I was trying to debug an inbalance in the lift of my plane and found it to be the tail stabilisator, which was a standard pWing (not rounded, B9 or such - the original pwing). Even reattaching it exactly at the center changed nothing. So i removed the part, began to reshape it from a new wing:

krakenwing1.jpg

Perfectly straight, and thus far the CoL looks right. Now, what if i hold the G-key and make it just a few inches taller:

krakenwing2.jpg

Wat?

Relevant plugins installed: SDF, procedural parts, editor extensions, RCS build aid. FAR/NEAR NOT installed.

It's not the part it is attached to - i tried with other stockparts, and the same happens.

EDIT: Wat #2: After attaching it back and forth a few times between parts, it now stopped this behavior, and can be reshaped with correct CoL

EDIT2: And the behavior is back.

Edited by rynak

• 2 weeks later...

hey DYJ i bundled this mod into my thunderbirds pack and your license says i have to ask for permission. it should be no trouble to direct them to this page for a download but just a little bit harder for me.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109533-fly-the-THUNDERBIRDS-%281965%29!-3500-parts-in-one-weld-0-90?p=1713578#post1713578