Your Biggest Fail in KSP!

gmpd2000

Too many failures to count, but my most recent colossal failure would be during the orbiting of 'Jebediah Station'.

Dzg5YBw.png

This was the first station I ever built and given its age I decided to de-orbit it and replace it with a new station. So I dutifully launched a bus to carry the Kerbals back to Kerbin and used the RCS to de-orbit

qFGmfto.jpg

Only then did I realise that Desberry and Shelbus were still in the storage module. I moved Desberry into the Cupola. So I could watch the descent from the IVA. Anyway the station hit the ground hard.

NMH5dTk.jpg

Shelbus was killed on impact, but Desberry somehow survived!

74zsH6F.jpg

I suppose in reality this wasn't a complete failure, but Desberry is now one of my favourites.

had an absolutely perfect mission going, launched a 3 man lander with kethane probe into a 150km x 72km orbit and at Pe burned for Duna, ended up with a PERFECT free return trajectory so i decided to go with that instead of burning more fuel to get a better landing spot, well i get about 10 days out of Dunas SOI and decide to land anyway, one problem well two problems, first issue was i forgot power craft was dead in space had no control anymore, second issue was that at some point the game decided to put Ike right in my path, i guess i could have just restarted the flight but i decided to watch the inevitable LOL i later figured out that i had stupidly activated the kethane probe over kerbin and forgot to shut it off, ontop of not having any kind of solar panels or batteries

Fortunately, none of my failures have gone like this...

ziM8YlT.gif

LOOOOOOL EPIC!! xD

and as of my biggest fail? it's hard to tell, every time i make a new ship i always miss some detail, like ASAS, monopropellant, air stabilization, etc. But the most recent was when i sent a Drone Rover to the Mun and it broke all its wheels when it landed xD

So, one of my fails. I was coming back from an important Eve mission of my rover getting samples of Eve's soil and "seas" for the scientists back on Kerbin.

Got back to Kerbin, rendezvous with my space station, but couldn't dock since I had no free docking ports. So I had to get my Kerbal that was in the station to EVA and repack the chutes. After that was done, I used MechJeb's Landing Guidance to pick KSC as my LZ.

Burned through the atmosphere, no problems seen so far. Then at 110m/s, I popped the chutes. At 100m/s, the chutes ripped off due to tremendous Gforce, and my Rover/Lander plummeted to the ground. And if that's not the only thing, the Landing Autopilot picked the VAB as its LZ...

So I tried to Quickload, and it was before I got to the station. :P

So, three fails in one. 1, didn't quicksave before I entered Kerbin's atmosphere. 2, chutes ripped off. 3, MechJeb landed me on the roof of the VAB instead of on the ground.

Edited by Benie

buying a resource intensive game when I have a 8 year old computer that lags running minecraft on lowest settings.

Not that the game is bad, it's amazing, but I can only build ships, sometimes launch vehicles, but rarely.

Only had about 20 some flights in the past year.

Fortunately, none of my failures have gone like this...

ziM8YlT.gif

LOL, as a teen I made an pipe bomb who behaved a lot like this rocket. Somebody had digged two 3 meter deep holes around 5 meters from each other on an field, this looked like an safe place to test the bomb.

Place bomb in one hole, light fuse and jump down in the other.

Unfortunately the hole for the fuse was to large and acted as an rocket engine spinning the bomb around. And yes it jumped up of the hole and down in our. Later we tried to make actual rockets but non performed as well as that bomb.

Getting al the way to Duna with a probe and I realized i forgot to put solar panels on it when i ran out of energy... I spent a long time flying that... I was pretty annoyed... Overalll that was probably the stupidest thing I have done in KSP.

My first mission to Jool started with a bad omen: my intended target was Eve, but I left Kerbin SOI in the wrong direction.

So, I quickly changed the mission parameters and luckily managed a Jool intercept with a Duna assist. I hit the Jool system with almost no inclination and even managed to aerobrake through Laythe to close our orbit. Despite not wanting to even go to Jool, I was set up pretty nicely with a low delta-v corridor. I figured my first stop would be Bop. Not too easy, not too difficult. Again, I got lucky and had a nice and easy burn to Bop's SOI as I was finishing my Laythe aerobrake. It couldn't get any better. As I approached Bop and was preparing to enter orbit around it, it finally hit me:

I had entered the system on a clockwise orbit! Every body of interest was orbiting opposite my direction, wasting all my delta-v to achieve any orbit.

I didn't want to just scrap the mission after hitting so many perfect burn windows on accident, so as I neared Bop, I burned off every ounce of fuel in my rockets, sending my ship on a dive to Jool, and sent my one-seat lander to park around Bop.

The ship was carrying two of my most valued heroes, Mallie and Sherburry, who had each set some amazing records (Mallie for the first to walk on Duna, Sherburry for the first to leave and re-enter the atmosphere). As they descended through Jool's atmosphere, Sherburry stayed with the pod and Mallie EVA'd. To this day, she's still standing on the 'surface' of Jool, waiting for a ride that can never come. I only just noticed yesterday that she's listed in the tracking station as 'Landed at Jool,' and her marker is only visible in the map view during flight, like a beacon of tragedy only for Kerbals to see.

Turns out, while I was dealing with the last moments of the ship, the lander had disappeared. I must have put it in too low of a polar orbit and it smacked a high mountain as the orbit rotated around the moon.

So ended my mission to Eve.

My 369 part rover base/kethane rig.

It took a lag filled hour to get it to the moon with many close calls along the way. The mission went perfect until I launched the rovers. Which didn't work on the Mun.

I haven't had a successful mission since. It has damaged my confidence. :(

My biggest failures have historically occurred on or about the launch pad, since I have a tendency to build ridiculously large.

Apropos, a failed launch of this:

ourapad.jpg

Resulted in this:

screenshot51t.jpg

And a failed launch of this:

Gf6AS5e.jpg

Resulted in this:

GI7LkpI.jpg

Edited by allmhuran

I'm just getting started so I'm sure bigger fails are in my future but: I was returning Bob, Jeb, and Bill from my first successful moon landing. Got back into orbit around Kerbin and started my reentry. I decided to get a screen shot from Bob's point of view during the reentry.

WHY are the EVA and IVA buttons are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER?

Yes, I accidentally sent Bob out of the hatch as the flames of reentry engulfed the capsule. It did not go well for him. At this point I just wanted to get Jeb and Bill home so they could mourn him properly. I got down to 1000 feet, popped the chute - and got a linkage failure between the chute and capsule. The chute tore away and the capsule smashed to Kerbin doing several hundred meters per second, killing Jeb and Bill instantly.

I spent hours designing and building a reusable rocket capable of taking huge payloads anywhere in the solar system. I decided that its maiden voyage would be a grand tour of the Jool system. After I had docked the 2 SSTO planes for Laythe and one of the 2 landers for the other moons, I went to go and launch the other lander, but instead of hitting "Space Center" I hit "End Flight."

I eventually rebuilt the ship and it works great.

2py9ano.jpg

I was returning a HUGE 500-part mothership from a Grand Tour of Jool. "This is going to be a close call!" "Very close!" BOOOOOOOOOOM! My 500-part mothership smashes at interplanetary velocity into my 500-part, 13-kerballed space station, destroying it. The Rings of Kerbin have been discovered! About 760 parts (240 were lost in the explosion) now float around Kerbin. I don't delete debris :).

Back a long time ago, landing on the moon was hard stuff. The feeling of accomplishment when you finally did it was quickly overshadowed by accidentally pressing space and separating the capsule from the tank and engines, right before you lift back off.

Yesterday I wanted to see the new features of 0.21 so I send 3 rockets to the mun. One with the hitchhiker crew thing, one with a pod containing 3 crew members and another one that drops a rover.

So I launch my first hitchhiker rocket and while trying to leave kerbin's atmosphere my liftoff stage explodes sending my rocket tumbling around. Not a particularly good start but I managed to stabilize it in flight and continue with the second stage which was enough to reach the mun. While trying to land the mun i realized it's hard to find a flat surface and manage to land on a slope. My rocket that contains the crew launches with no major problems however. So then I launch my rover ( http://i.imgur.com/fHrYXMI.jpg ) which flies somewhat unbalanced, with the weaker SAS I have to constantly adjust it but it's not a huge deal. However since my base is on a slope I have no idea how I'm supposed to land the totally unbalanced crane. So with quite some quicksave/load I manage to drop the rover while the crane is crashing.

For a while I'm having fun with the base on the mun, roving around, planting a flag, etc. And then I remember you can send your kerbals back to kerbin and use them again so I build a new rocket that should have enough fuel to get them back home. http://i.imgur.com/oJMdGps.jpg It all works fine, I manage to go the mun, get them in my seats and take off again however I had to use all my fuel and most of my mono-propellant to have a trajectory towards kerbin. I still had the second to last stage connected but it was empty so I pressed space.

For some reason disconnecting it made the entire thing explode sending debris everywhere. Fortunately my kerbals were still alived but 2 of them were still on a crash course towards kerbin, one of them managed to get into orbit. I really didn't want to lose Bob, Bill and Jebediah on their first mission so I had to make a quick choice, I build a rocket with a pod, put one kerbal in it and try to intercept the 2 who are about to crash in kerbin. Jebediah was in an orbit so I could pick him up whenever I wanted to. So I send a rocket and manage to intercept Bill but I realized Bob was ahead of him and he was going to crash first so I quickly send another rocket. It took me several tries using quicksave/load to pick him up, he was going at 3km/s towards kerbin, in the end I just had enough time to intercept him before I reached the atmosphere. Both pods managed to land safely on kerbin.

Jebediah was also saved.

I don't think I've ever had a mission with so many fails and still managed to keep the kerbals alive.

Mine was my first attempt to land on the Mun. In a way, a was a victim of a rocket that was too good. I had plenty of fuel left in my middle stage that I used it to help my descent. Except I forgot to ever drop it off, so I landed engine first on my middle stage (which had no struts, of course) and landed on my side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.