Your Biggest Fail in KSP!

gmpd2000

Other than all the times I staged wrong, My first Minmus Probe was designed in such a way that I found I need more fuel to land. So I went back and switched out fuel tanks but didn't move the struts down. So it landed nicely on the engine with these sad little landing legs sticking out the top......

The other was just last night I was trying to send a refueling station up into orbit but It was a horrible design, it got stuck in a sub par orbit, and I later found out that I had no idea how fuel transfer works cause I had put the coupler in a place where it could not transfer fuel. So when I sent the rocket up to fix the orbit I found all this out, and then fixing rocket couldn't even push it into the orbit I wanted....The whole Project was scrapped due to my immense ineptitude. Literally everything I could do wrong I did wrong. Gonna go now and try and do it right this time.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is my biggest, but it's my latest. Mission to Duna. Got into Kerbin orbit and had some of my Asparagus stage still attached. Decided it would be a good time to refuel for the trip to Duna. Sent up an almost identical ship sans some dead weight, the second ship was unmanned. Refueled without too much trouble. As I decoupled there was a minor collision. Didn't notice any damage to the main ship. Went to Duna. Left lower stage in orbit while lander landed got science and returned to Duna orbit running on fumes. I was trying to rendezvous with the lower stage so I could refuel my lander. Managed to sync orbits and bounce off the docking ring a few times. After it didn't connect I took a closer look. Apparently during my minor collision with the Kerbin refuel I knocked off the docking ring. Doh. So THAT is what exploded. I guess when I get home tonight I'll be sending a rescue ship to recover my Kerbal and my science.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ah, biggest fail.. so many to choose from!

I guess it would have to be the Mun landing that had no lights, no fuel lines, and only one landing leg. I proved my name with this particular mission. Or perhaps the space station with the docking ports on backwards? Take your pick :)

Well, let's see. Recently I was trying to do a quick flyby of the Mun to get some science (since I didn't think I had enough fuel to land, gather science and lift off again). I was coming in real low (below 10,000 m) but I didn't think it was low enough to be worried about, besides I went pretty high up again after my close fly by. I wasn't really paying as much attention as I should have when the rocket was doing the real close fly by (I think I was answering a text on my phone at the time) and I didn't notice the mountain flying into view of my shuttle until it was way too late and I had already smashed into it.

Also, I just recently had a capsule get stuck in orbit around the Mun with no fuel. Poor Jeb and all that Science are stuck in orbit and I probably won't have a way to get him back for a while.

• 4 months later...

I'm new to ksp, so I was fairly proud with my munar lander. Completed the "explore the mun" mission in career mode without a hitch and was making my final return to Kerbin. Accidentally set warp up too high and crashed spectacularly into Kerbin before I could correct my mistake. I was not pleased.

I'm new to ksp, so I was fairly proud with my munar lander. Completed the "explore the mun" mission in career mode without a hitch and was making my final return to Kerbin. Accidentally set warp up too high and crashed spectacularly into Kerbin before I could correct my mistake. I was not pleased.

Never trust time warp, NEVER

(First post, yay!)

My best fail thus far was also one of my first. I didn't quite have the concept of deltaV down yet, so my Munar Lander was a little understocked for fuel and ended up stranded after landing. I ended up having to send up a separate rescue craft - basically, the original lander with all the science instruments and living quarters replaced with fuel and a probe core for unmanned flying. Not quite knowing how to land accurately, I set her down on the wrong side of the crater, and had to EVA my crew across to board. Jeb and Bob made it okay, but Bill managed to run out of EVA fuel about a kilometer over the crater.

In Pace Requiescat, Bill Kerman.

Never trust time warp, NEVER

One time Bill and Bob were stuck on EVA in a highly eccentric Duna orbit due to a Kraken attack on Ike. The rescue craft was getting set up for a rendezvous but then time warp flung it onto a solar escape trajectory. After that, I just declared the Duna system cursed on that save and didn't send any kerbals back.

Way back when I was still new to the game but had progressed enough to learn how to dock, I tried assembling a massive ship in orbit to try and reach Jool. It took something like 8 flights of hauling parts up and docking them together. I finally finished it after at least a few days of play, throttle up the engines...

And the whole ship collapses under the stress, tearing itself apart and flinging debris everywhere.

3E86182BA7366BC68E5365F603960EEA26B372C4

This is when I learned that docking ports weren't that strong.

Step 1: Launch a new module for my space station.

Step 2: Rendezvous.

Step 3: Realize I somehow put the docking port on backwards.

Step 4: Revert to VAB and relaunch.

Step 5: Rendezvous.

Step 6: Realize I forgot to fix the docking port while in the VAB.

Edited by Mitchz95

One particularly notable mistake from my early games happened when I was struggling to doc something to my first space station. It was in a low orbit, I didn't know to dock by the navball yet, and the low orbit curving effect kept throwing me off.

So I tried the hack gravity button. After more time trying to dock, the game crashed.

Now when the game saved, it didn't record velocity. Just orbital parameters. And when I rebooted the game, gravity was back to normal.

My station, now stuck on its gravity hacked trajectory, was now a on a rapid, one way trip to deep space.

I bailed most of the Kerbals, and like to think the escape pods made it to safe orbits. But there was no way they had the delta v.

Step 1: Launch a new module for my space station.

Step 2: Rendezvous.

Step 3: Realize I somehow put the docking port on backwards.

Step 4: Revert to VAB and relaunch.

Step 5: Rendezvous.

Step 6: Realize I forgot to fix the docking port while in the VAB.

This happens to me to much. I tend to build a new launcher for every vehicle. Its a trivial task (albeit it enjoyable) after 1100+hours of designing and flying. I always tend to notice the little things I want to iterate while I am on my way up. So, "lets move these RCS nozzles", "the solar panels would work better with this orientation", "it's flipping dark, where are the lights?". Sure enough, on many occasions I've had a backwards docking port. So, I'll revert to fix it... But wait... Let me just modify these other bits and pieces first.. Great, looks good, launch it! Oh ya.... about that docking port. Whoops. At least the lights look pretty :)

I once built a rocket and launched it using time control to see what it looked like in slow motion.... Every single piece ended up detaching and scattering each and every one of the 200 some parts all around the KSC. I'm so glad it wasn't destructible then. All of my buildings would have been destroyed.

Even the swimming pool....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.