Your Biggest Fail in KSP!

gmpd2000

My biggest fail in KSP had to be my failed Eve rover that missed landing by 2-3 units of liquid fuel. I'd set it up to just enter Eve's SOI and land but I could only get my periapsis down to 200,000m before the fuel ran out.

Well I don't have any pics, because I didn't know how to take them back then (I do now). but my biggest fail was in making my Mun mining base, I had sent up a Mapsat and a Kethane Scanner satellite to pick a good landing site near a kethane pocket. my next mission was to send up a lander with a rover to scout the area. Ran out of fuel in the lander, so I crash landed, miraculously, the pod and the rover survived, but ended up almost 20km from my proposed landing site, So I said "Hey I can still do this," loaded Jeb into the rover, got it onto its wheels, and began scooting towards the site. Then it all went horribly wrong when I skipped off an errant bump, my rover flipped into the air, I managed to eject Jeb in time and soft land him thanks to his jet pack, but the rover was a complete loss. So now I have Jeb stuck in the middle of nowhere, and Bill and Bob are sitting in what's left of the lander, all awaiting me to build a rescue ship.

My most recent project has been trying to get a probe into orbit around the sun. I have had so many mission failures during this project. I have run out of electricity while warping to maneuver nodes, accidentally separated stages way too early, had engines fall off, forgotten to put RCS thrusters, forgotten RCS fuel on and most recently released solid fuel boosters before they were empty. They promptly flew up and at the center of my ship causing everything to explode and rain debris on the space center.

On three separate occasions on the same day, I managed to ruin a mission by running out of electricity.

Standard interplanetary probe launches. Once I arrive at the destination, I get into a proper orbit and separate the probe from the remaining propulsion. But I kept forgetting to extend the solar panels once I reached space, so a few hours later I'd end up wondering why the ship wasn't responding and see that it had run out of power.

So I built this three part interplanetary ship, which took hours even with MechJeb. I flew it to Duna and got into Duna orbit. I crashed the lander module on Duna's surface, losing an important module needed for interplanetary return (Protractor). So I decided to go into Ike orbit for a bit. I detached the first Ike probe and crashed it. Luckily I brought a spare, so I successfully landed that one and returned to Duna orbit. While awaiting Kerbin return, the remaining two parts (crew/nuclear reactor and propulsion module) of the ship got captured by Ike (turns out my orbit was just a bit too high) and I was on a very elliptical impact trajectory with Ike. Unable to correct in time because a) I was going at 500+ m/s and B) I was on 5x warp seconds before the ship was hit, I lost 10 Kerbals, 2 in the lander, and 8 in the crew module.

On my first mission to Eve, the entire rocket relied on the power created by 4 static solar panels on the atmospheric probe it was carrying. Unfortunately, when it had it's encounter with the planet, the rocket was aligned rimward, and was therefor out of power. The mission was promptly abandoned and a superior second version featuring RTGs on the interplanetary vehicle was launched.

First time attempting to send a lander to the mun, I timewarp to interception but overshoot, luckily I'm still on course for a second so I time warp to it and miss it again. Those two fly-bys give me enough energy to leave the mun SOI and also Kerbal SOI. Don't have enough fuel to slow down to two Kerbals go into a Sun centred orbit. On the second attempt to fly to the mun, I again overshoot the interception and end up on a free-return trajectory back to Kerbal. On my first attempt to EVE, I made it into EVA SOI after about 300 days and then accidentally ended the mission. On my first mission to Duna I managed to enter the SOI but Ike was strategically placed for a slingshot perpendicular to my trajectory. After trying to avoid said slingshot I ended up crashing straight into it. Since then though I have had better luck. I have flags on the mun and minmus :) I have full orange tankers in orbit around Kerbal thanks to a nice onion staging tutorial and I'm Currently prepping to go back to Duna

Building the ultimate Mun base, packing it all into a realistic rocket, calculating dV, refueling in orbit, only to have the base smash the surface and be turned into dust and debris because the lander design turned out to be uncontrollable (couldn't test on Kerbin, too low TWR)...

Yeah, it wasn't pretty, debris was found as far as 26 km away from the landing site... was such an epic fail that it corrupted my save game (srs)

Downloading every mod i saw :confused:

The game would take 10 minutes to load, and crash at a 90% rate.

I now like to stick with stock.

You were using too many mods. Launching this game is a bit like launching a space mission, pack as light as you can, and trim stuff down wherever possible. Me? I've culled the Squad folder down by nearly half, I rarely use any stock parts.

Oh god. Just last night.

Finally made my first mission to the internal planets. Reached Eve with my satellite deployment ship, carrying 4 satellites intending to deploy two of them around Eve before determining if we had fuel for a Moho or should we return home.

instead of hitting Tracking Station, I hit END FLIGHT.

:0.0:

Finally wanted to get my five Kerbals (three the famous trio!) in failed mission pods without any fuel orbiting Kerbal back home - burned the wrong way while trying to get closer by pure engine power, wondering why I didnt get closer all the while ... this:

KLDMy4m.png

So another more complicated rescue mission on my hands - luckily only one man ... but Squad is to blame! why cant we place empty lander cans when starting out with a probe!! This loyal Kerbals exile is on your hands!! *shakes fist in the air*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.