Thinking about colonizing Dres...

SpaceshipFood

I recently did my first manned Dres mission. I am starting a Dres base to, but I want it to be (semi) mobile. Dres had a very interesting geology.

Be prepared for a rugged non flat terrain. You either keep the home bas small, or in separated modules. If you want a rover, I recommend using the huge wheels or something snake like.

You should build the colony in Dres' massive canyon:

I did this! At least, until I got bored with it because my idea didn't work. I had about 50 Kerbals living down there, and after discovering the SQUID modded part, I thought that I could have living modules hover by the canyon walls, then just anchor on. But I couldn't figure out how to do it, then I got bored, and moved my colonization efforts to Laythe.

If you're going to colonise Dres, I would recommend the following:

1) A reliable interplanetary ship to transport all of the parts that you're going to need out there.

2) A colony module capable of housing numerous Kerbals.

3) At least one rover to move those Kerbals around.

4) A Duna space station to store your fuel/monoprop and act as a base in orbit for your operations there and act as an entry point for interplanetary ships arriving in system.

5) A Duna capable reuseable SSTO to ferry Kerbals between your space station and your colony.

The following would also 'be nice' :

6) A plane or planes capable of flight upon Duna for long range exploration.

7) Surface refueling facilities for the planes and SSTOs.

If you're going to colonise Dres, I would recommend the following:

1) A reliable interplanetary ship to transport all of the parts that you're going to need out there.

2) A colony module capable of housing numerous Kerbals.

3) At least one rover to move those Kerbals around.

4) A Duna space station to store your fuel/monoprop and act as a base in orbit for your operations there and act as an entry point for interplanetary ships arriving in system.

5) A Duna capable reuseable SSTO to ferry Kerbals between your space station and your colony.

The following would also 'be nice' :

6) A plane or planes capable of flight upon Duna for long range exploration.

7) Surface refueling facilities for the planes and SSTOs.

He's going to Dres, not Duna. :)

He's going to Dres, not Duna. :)

Well, who said Squad could include two planets that begin with the letter D? That's just crazy and apparently too much for my brain to handle! ;)

Okay, scrap all the parts that rely upon atmosphere and keep what's left.

LOL, the Duna base actually makes sense though. I went to Dres. Got a poor intercept, burned a lot of fuel to land. By the time I'd dealt with the inclination on the way back, it was clear I wasn't going to reach Kerbin. I have a Duna intercept though, and a refuelling depot there.

I WILL bring these guys home.

Personally, you'd want to look for exactly what the purpose of your operation is and how long your staying. I wouldn't do it in one go. I'd also as advised above, practice everything your doing on the surface. As well as this, your going to want think about if your capsules are all going to be joined together or not. A lot of thought is required.

I considered this, but if you aren't waiting for a phase angle a trip - one way - to Dres takes 6km/s of delta v. The inclination change alone is 850m/s or so, maybe closer to 900m/s.

The canyon is flat bit, steep bit, flat bit, steep bit, in steps. I did intense exploration of that place. In terms of how powerful the ships need to be, if i remember it's smaller than Mun, but still way to large for RCS landers. Rovers get minimal grip, and a rover that could do 20-30 m/s on kerbin can only manage a max of about 5-10m/s.

My first (and only, I wanna do an Eve ascent now..) Manned mission there abandoned the Landing stage and orbiting stage of the mission plan, and just flew by. I would have no delta/v left in the ship to return after orbital insertion.

Despite all this, however, I have 2 landers, a rover, a Geosynch Probe and a low orbit probe there. I don't reccomend it for manned missions, Jool ends up easier to travel to because of its low inclination and large gravity well, along with aero-braking allowing a low delta/v entry, or a tylo gravity assist allowing you to leave/enter the Joolian system easily.

Hmmm...I wonder if I can make a bridge-base that spans the whole canyon?

It's about 5 km wide at the top if i remember correctly. I measured it at one point (very inaccurately). The lower areas are barely 400m, if even 200m.

Edited by Stelith61
DID I REALLY RIGHT INTELLECTUALLY INSTEAD OF INACCURATELY

• 3 years later...