SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I believe I've finally cracked this nut.

nhSucUg.jpg

After the fuel gets moved to internal tanks and the excess are dropped the Flyingfox is orbiting at 243T with 94T rocket fuel not including the one jumbo payload. That's about 3.8km/s dV and if you account for the halfway point delivery, I'm guessing roughly 4.5km/s dV for the round trip. That's enough buffer to make the journey routine enough for my tastes. My back of the envelope calculations also tell me 20T to Laythe is a very doable mission too.

It's not a finished design by any means, there's a huge amount of cleanup to do like, winglet stacks from testing need to be pulled out, some intakes could probably be shed and the join of the top and bottom skins needs major work(very ugly stuff). However, I know KissSh0t, you'd like to get your hands on a working heavy lifter so, here you go.

Download

Flyingfox v1.0

Warning: this craft is currently a member of the 1000+ club. I'm working on having this status revoked.

I know this is unrelated to the thread... but I just thought of it when seeing Mesklin's screenshots with the clouds.. Obviously that is a mod of some sort.

But the thing I thought of was what if there were weather affects in the game, like storms, rain, lightning.. and maybe some other types of weather affects, and they would not only alter the look of the game, but things like visibility when landing aircraft... Turbulence / Wind Change... um.. Storms.. that could buffer the craft to make it a bit more challenging to land... even though it is quite challenging for some of us already.. hahaha..

And maybe Weather Anomalies on other planets, so like.. things like Dust Devils on Duna "Dust Devils actually do happen on Mars". Google image search Dust Devils.. Basically it is spinning wind that picks up dust making a funnel of dust, and they could randomly appear and if a Kerbal gets caught by one it could fling the Kerbal away xD

Or if it caught a ship, depending on the size of the craft it might get flung or pushed over or just nudged.

With weather in the game you could take that into account as well when launching a rocket or aircraft instead of just time of day.

I don't know how you would suggest ideas to SQUAD, but I would love to suggest this!! xD

While I agree it would be very cool, don't attempt to actually suggest it. It's been brought up often enough that it was included in the forums' official "What Not to Suggest" thread. O_o

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36863-What-not-to-suggest

Guest Space Cowboy

Best thread on the forum. Anyway I just had an aneurysm and an endorphin high as never before experienced. I finished a video takeoff, full stable orbit (with major fuel and oxidizer to spare), and touchdown on the numbers and on the center-line. I overshot the field on my deorbit but fortunately there was enough jet fuel left to assist getting back to base. With practice a glide only landing would be cool and not excessively difficult. Full upload and blah blah blah coming shortly.

screenshot990_zps2fbb648a.png

While I agree it would be very cool, don't attempt to actually suggest it. It's been brought up often enough that it was included in the forums' official "What Not to Suggest" thread. O_o

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/36863-What-not-to-suggest

I am unable to find Weather Affects in the list... I went through the list twice... am I blind or am I really not seeing it?

ohh... it has Weather in Planned Features...

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... Wind & turbulence conditions

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features

ohhh cool.. it has lots of cool things in Planned Features.

Edited by KissSh0t

The Spacebus.

There's so much going on inside that fuel tank in the middle it's unbelievable. I mean, along with the (many, many) air intakes and the aerodynamic surfaces, there's a whole other fuel tank in there. I think it must be quantum. (I'm not normally this abusive with clipping, I promise!)

My first SSTO out of the VAB, it's capable of achieving Munar orbit but should probably be refueled before return as the run shown had to be quicksaved after a somewhat terminal landing in the mountains so it's a bit of a mashup. I hate losing crew :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvlsngktialkhuz/Spacebus%20One%20NMJ.craft

Edited by Fellow314

I finally learned how to make a Kraken Drive... I ended up dismantling designs by other KSP players and then made from scratch my own version...

I thought I'd stick it in an old SSTO that has internal storage.. So I did just that and here are screenshots from my very first Kraken Drive Orbital Test and WOW OMG WOW IT WORKS.. When I tested the drive by itself on the runway it just sort of vibrated funny... So I really didn't expect this to work properly.

The last 3 images are when the Kraken Drive is activated.. It VERY quickly accelerated out and I was like wow this thing can go anywhere.. And I deactivated it pretty quickly because it just kept accelerating *__*

SOMEONE SUGGEST A PLANET FOR ME TO FLY TOO!!

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kosoWYOF1r2k180o10_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kp03nqOX1r2k180o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kp03nqOX1r2k180o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n2kp03nqOX1r2k180o3_1280.jpg

It's called Lander One Beta, because I didn't change it to something exciting before the run.

Actually worked first time out of the box, to my amazement.

(Something odd with the middle gear though)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxt79d12i3tfkav/Lander%20One%20Beta%20NMJ.craft

1 - downward rockets on the lander

2 - Jets

2 - Nukes

7 - ladders

8 - front landing gear

9 - lander legs

0 - other landing gear

That looks ace, very tiny compared to the early ones I saw.

Go to Dres. :)

ETA: I also really like the plane!

Okydoky.. I will try~ http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Dres

The previous version of this craft with internal storage is shared in the original first post of this thread.

My version has some tweaks xD

*edit*

I couldn't get to Dres but I did get Eve intercept.

Then when slowing down the K-drive Exploded... Thank goodness for Quick save *___*

Currently trying to slow down to get into Eve orbit.

Edited by KissSh0t

I've updated the Flyingfox for a release version. It still sits at v1.0, I've just replaced the craft file.

I've replaced the wing and stitched this one down alot tighter. This has sharpened the handling right up and made it a true STOL craft at the same time. The added lift on the wingtips takes out some of the front-end lift and gives it a handsome bow at low altitudes and under heavy loads. The only drawback is the lack of flex has exposed an odd behaviour in the physics engine which seems to randomise the joint strength of symmetrically placed girders. This often leaves the plane with a barely noticeable asymmetry once the lift starts to flex it. There's no real impact except for the tiniest yaw moment when you come in to land with ASAS turned off. And by tiny, I mean probably a total of less than 5 degrees over a 1km approach.

I tried to keep the part count low, some air intakes came out but, all the accessories for release added whole bunch of bits and pieces onto the craft. I don't see the part count coming down, there's very little kit on board that isn't essential.

I went back and ran the numbers again, this time after a bit more sleep. It looks like a jumbo to Laythe is on the cards. Plus more luggage could be carried to Duna. This is definitely going to be my lifting/landing solution for the foreseeable future.

Check out that rear end! :kiss:

eO4bRCf.jpg

Guest Space Cowboy

Nice flights KissSh0t! I am beginning to give up on carrying cargo in a winged vehicle although I haven't completely given up yet.

O-Doc I think you have done it. That's where my brain would have led me I think. Very nice & impressive. I don't suppose you you would want to but Ubiozur's Weld-It would work nicely on this. You'd have to distribute your custom made part file along with the CRAFT file. I am thinking of going this route. You can include one action groups worth of engines in the single part as well. The only big downside, is the part created has nodes EVERYWHERE, and internal placement like perhaps the second engine group may be very difficult. Also I think it's only working in version 22. Nice ship.

EDIT I think you could actually get those 8 engines added after welding if that is your only other engine group I think it would work well.

Edited by Space Cowboy
O-Doc simul-post

It's called Lander One Beta, because I didn't change it to something exciting before the run.

Actually worked first time out of the box, to my amazement.

(Something odd with the middle gear though)

Snip

1 - downward rockets on the lander

2 - Jets

2 - Nukes

7 - ladders

8 - front landing gear

9 - lander legs

0 - other landing gear

Now that's a cool design

O-Doc I think you have done it. That's where my brain would have led me I think. Very nice & impressive. I don't suppose you you would want to but Ubiozur's Weld-It would work nicely on this. You'd have to distribute your custom made part file along with the CRAFT file. I am thinking of going this route. You can include one action groups worth of engines in the single part as well. The only big downside, is the part created has nodes EVERYWHERE, and internal placement like perhaps the second engine group may be very difficult. Also I think it's only working in version 22. Nice ship.

EDIT I think you could actually get those 8 engines added after welding if that is your only other engine group I think it would work well.

Cheers. I'm playing and releasing with stock only at this point. Mostly to get my designs into as many hands as possible. If you want to modify the craft, definitely send me the craft file and I'll include it in my catalogue once the entry is made. Unfortunately, RL issues dictate that I'm not going to be updating my catalogue for another 3-4weeks. [sad face] The update package is going to be massive though. We're talking dozens of crafts. Good crafts. Great crafts!

One thing about the action groups. I have some tricky business setup with the inside engines so that they are overlapping action groups. This is about addressing pitch balance under different loads. You can turn off the bottom turbos to counter-act the natural pitch-up moment that the craft will go through when outside your flight envelope above 20km. You also turn of your turbos from outside-in sequentially 33% at a time to maximise usable airflow for thrust once you get to the outter reaches of the atmosphere. So, my recommendation is to keep all engines as separate parts.

One easy way to ditch a lot of parts is to clip the intakes as I use zero debug part clipping(I'm all about stock, yeah!). Also, you can weld the wings but, don't weld the skeleton or you will drastically alter the balance and handling. The design is a result of a very long and detailed analysis of the behavioural characteristics of that airframe. It now has the exact strength and flexibility I was looking for.

Edit: I should mention that I created a thread for the Flyingfox

Edited by O-Doc

Guest Space Cowboy

I am gonna pass - the internals would be formidable. On the Millennium Falcon project Weld It was essential, but for example, I absolutely could not have the domes as welded parts, to add to the main chassis. I also attempted to mount internally attached (but protruding) engines for the VTOL group, and this turned out to be impossible. Welding your wings would be a plus, there would be zero flex with zero struts or whatever you're doing. I am doing an A/B video right now with a current design non welded and welded and the aerodynamics are not identical, although close. COM is preserved in the welding process btw. Still, something changes. I get what you're up to with the engine groups, I have had to do it albeit on a simpler scale for the same reasons. I'll PM you a link to the weld / no weld video. One other thing to my knowledge Weld It is not working with 23 at the moment. It has other limitations as well but most have workarounds. It is a bit of a hassle.

Edited by Space Cowboy

I am gonna pass - the internals would be formidable. On the Millennium Falcon project Weld It was essential, but for example, I absolutely could not have the domes as welded parts, to add to the main chassis. I also attempted to mount internally attached (but protruding) engines for the VTOL group, and this turned out to be impossible. Welding your wings would be a plus, there would be zero flex with zero struts or whatever you're doing. I am doing an A/B video right now with a current design non welded and welded and the aerodynamics are not identical, although close. COM is preserved in the welding process btw. Still, something changes. I get what you're up to with the engine groups, I have had to do it albeit on a simpler scale for the same reasons. I'll PM you a link to the weld / no weld video. One other thing to my knowledge Weld It is not working with 23 at the moment. It has other limitations as well but most have workarounds. It is a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the link. I'm all stock at the moment. If no-one else does it then I'll check it out at some time in the future but, I'm pretty easy with the lag issue, I'm normally cruising the web while I'm playing/testing large crafts.

If you pull off all the wings from the center cage you'll see the layout is actually pretty simple. If you use something like Weld It then, the best bet is to combine all the intakes. The other thing you could do is weld the two main engine blocks down their length and pull out some of the struts supporting the individual fuel tanks. I'm guessing the part count could go as low as 600 before the handling qualities of the plane starts to get affected.

Guest Space Cowboy

Just a couple thoughts. I actually am still on v 0.22 'cos Weld It doesn't work on 0.23 at this time. UBoZur is too busy in the real world. Yeah - struts are completely redundant when using weld it, in fact, they do crazy things aesthetically - one end attached - the other hanging out in space onto nothing. On or off has no effect after welding except those visuals. Intakes - as of right now - I believe they cannot be on whatever is welded, and retain their function. They'd have to be added after welding. Engines - yes they can be welded and truthfully on something like this with a lot engines you WILL see a drastic increase in frame rate and play-ability because engines are one of the number one frame-rate killers as you I am very sure well know.

Weld it is kind of an all or nothing ventur, in my experience, to this point. Trying to attach two pre-welded parts is like trying to push two 10 ton magnets together with same poles facing each other. Have to see it to believe it.

Get me a craft that is made in 0.22 if at all possible, if you have the time and inclination.

Stuff that can't be welded: things that move control surfaces, landing gear, or any other item with animation

Any engines you wish to be on seperate groups. The resulting part created will have a single engine that can be assigned normally in action groups - and it will apply to all engines welded.

Another thing - the CPU will not be skipping as many aerodynamic calculations now, so - things may be different, and I believe more accurate, or I should say, truer to the way the aerodynamics are intended to be portrayed in KSP.

Eve is strange.. I've never been to it before.. I pointed the craft down, under no power due to having no fuel.. and it was falling at 57m/s ....

It could have glided for ages, it's like the atmosphere is really thick, but there is no air to use the TurboJets.

I am going to build from scratch an SSTO with built in Kraken Drives.

Was testing a new Kraken Drive design this morning on this same craft posted above.. 2 of the new design and the same central one in the craft above.... and holy fudgsicles.

This craft has no gyro.. so it was nearly impossible to keep it going in the intended direction lol..

Kraken Drives are so awesome on SSTO xD

they are also a little scary... They literally can accelerate for infinite.

I have no idea what a Krakken Drive is. Is that in 23?

A Kraken Drive is a self built engine that functions on game bug.. I guess that would be the best description for it... if someone else has a better description then please feel free to chip in on the conversation.

Basically it is a landing leg, or legs.. My new one uses 4 of the tiny ones.. my first one uses 1 large one. the landing leg when deployed passes through an object and then pushes against a plate making that object vibrate or... sort of like a piston action creating a force pushing forward. the ones I made look like a piston moving in and out.

They are tricky to build *__*

I had to dismantle quite a few different designs by other players just to get an understanding of what on earth was happening to make it work.

With a Kraken Drive you can go............................. FAST..........................that is an understatement.

You can launch yourself completely out of the Kerbin Solar System.... Seriously..

You can probably make one in the earlier version that you are in.

I will take some screenshots of mine so you can see it close up.

*edit*

Here you go, in this thread >>> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/69088-The-Kraken-Drive-is-Showing-It-s-Worth/page10

There is some video footage of them being tested and some screenshots showing inside them.

And~ this thread has lots of Kraken Drive stuff.. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68369-Harnessing-the-Kraken-Eeloo-in-11-hours!?highlight=kraken+drive

Edited by KissSh0t