SSTOs! Post your pictures here~

I managed to create my very first SSTO, it is heavy and has quite some problems at taking off, but as soon as it gets to 200m/s it flys quite well.

Also as soon as it is in orbit it eats Oxidizer as hell.

tgpj.png

c22c.png

a3s4.png

qyk7.png

Also as soon as it is in orbit it eats Oxidizer as hell.

You think it could be because of all those highly inefficient R.A.P.I.E.R. engines you have on it? You might get a bit more fuel mileage in orbit with LV-909's or Toroidal Aerospikes.

Alternatively, you could set an action group to put the R.A.P.I.E.R. engines into something that I like to call "Econo-mode" once you're in orbit. Basically, shut down one pair of engines and use the other pair for orbital maneuvers.

Finally, holy intake spam Batman!!

Edited by speedboiae86

Inspired by Macey Dean's Interplanetary SSTO "Dragonfly Mk. XII", I present the next step in interplanetary exploration. LunarWolf Industries proudly presents:

Prototype Model Interplanetary Ion Powered Single-Stage-to-Anywhere ship: LunarWolf Industries Shrike Class SSTO Dragonfly Mk. XV.

1978672_10152230193956815_920807443_n.jpg

The prototype model features a larger cross section of air intakes (13 to 2 ratio) for more performance at higher altitudes. Dual Turbojet engines provide the primary thrust in atmosphere, along with a back up R.A.P.I.E.R. engine for those times when you want extra kick. Dual Rockomax 48-7S engines provide the necessary boost to get into orbit, and a cluster of six PB Electric Ion Engines make this platform a Single-Stage-to-Anywhere craft. Onboard RCS monopropellant provide the ability for this craft to dock to a mothership or space station as well once an underside docking port is added.

Action groups are as follows:

1 - Toggles Turbojets

2 - Toggles R.A.P.I.E.R. engine

3 - Toggles Rockomax 48-7S engines

4 - Toggles Solar Panels

5 - Toggles Ion Drives

0 - Toggles Intakes.

This model is best flown when taken off just before dawn. Climb with the Turbojets straight up at first, then gently pitch over to 45 degrees. Climb to 12,500 metres, then pitch down to 30 degrees. Climb until the Turbojets flameout, then close the intakes and either engage the Rockomax Engines or engage the R.A.P.I.E.R.

Climb out of the atmosphere or at least until you are high enough to deploy the solar panels without them ripping off, build apoapsis to 80km. Coast to about 10 - 15 seconds before apoapsis, engage ion engines and/or Rockomax engines, and circularise your orbit.

I think many will find this to be an idiot-proof version of Macey's craft. Prototype version comes with Mechjeb, stock version available upon request. I'll post a download if interest warrants.

Edited by speedboiae86

Inspired by Macey Dean's Interplanetary SSTO "Dragonfly Mk. XII", I present the next step in interplanetary exploration. LunarWolf Industries proudly presents:

Prototype Model Interplanetary Ion Powered Single-Stage-to-Anywhere ship: LunarWolf Industries Shrike Class SSTO Dragonfly Mk. XV.

https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1978672_10152230193956815_920807443_n.jpg

The prototype model features a larger cross section of air intakes (13 to 2 ratio) for more performance at higher altitudes. Dual Turbojet engines provide the primary thrust in atmosphere, along with a back up R.A.P.I.E.R. engine for those times when you want extra kick. Dual Rockomax 48-7S engines provide the necessary boost to get into orbit, and a cluster of six PB Electric Ion Engines make this platform a Single-Stage-to-Anywhere craft. Onboard RCS monopropellant provide the ability for this craft to dock to a mothership or space station as well once an underside docking port is added.

Action groups are as follows:

1 - Toggles Turbojets

2 - Toggles R.A.P.I.E.R. engine

3 - Toggles Rockomax 48-7S engines

4 - Toggles Solar Panels

5 - Toggles Ion Drives

0 - Toggles Intakes.

This model is best flown when taken off just before dawn. Climb with the Turbojets straight up at first, then gently pitch over to 45 degrees. Climb to 12,500 metres, then pitch down to 30 degrees. Climb until the Turbojets flameout, then close the intakes and either engage the Rockomax Engines or engage the R.A.P.I.E.R.

Climb out of the atmosphere or at least until you are high enough to deploy the solar panels without them ripping off, build apoapsis to 80km. Coast to about 10 - 15 seconds before apoapsis, engage ion engines and/or Rockomax engines, and circularise your orbit.

I think many will find this to be an idiot-proof version of Macey's craft. Prototype version comes with Mechjeb, stock version available upon request. I'll post a download if interest warrants.

If you replace the gigantor panels with several smaller ones, you'll save a good amount of weight...which is nice considering you're using ion engines :wink:

This is the Zip 1.

Looks like a plane, flies like a plane, over 2Km/s Delta V at LKO.

The downward facing jets are there cos I thought it might be able to get to the Mun, but I don't think it would quite manage it.

And I'm getting really fond of this three layers of landing gear, with the middle one set lower than the others so the reaction wheels can tilt the craft back - makes for uneventful take offs.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Nearly stock....

No part clipping, moderate amounts of Air Hogging... There are a lot more radial intakes on the underside.

I modded the nose cone and nose cone adaptors to hold fuel, same capacity to part weight as other jet fuel parts.

Its mainly a "for looks" mod.

Also, the radial intakes have been modded to also produce "intakeAtmosphere" which is useless on this craft (for use with an "electric ducted fan", which is not on this), but the 2nd air intake module is closed on the intakes before flight (in this case, all the mod does is make the intakes produce 2x as much drag until you shut off the intakeAtmosphere and only keep the "intakeAir" open).

It can take roughly 41 tons to LKO. Basic jet engines are used during takeoff and climb to ~15km, I keep them on even when they become inefficient, simply for better acceleration. They stop working completely at 1000 m/s, so I shut them off just before then.

Depending on my ascent profile (I don't use mech jeb, its all manual), I get to between just over1500 m/s 28km to 1600m/s at 30km or so on jets.

I think if I had action groups for pairs of jets, I could get a little better (If I end up just running the inner rapiers-- they do have the advantage of flaming out at a lower threshold, and with my placement, they won't create so much torque from an imbalance)

The rapiers are used with aerospikes during the 2nd climb phase (after jet engine cutoff), since I'd be chasing my apoapsis, I need to accelerate and put it into a climb again.

Also due to oberth effect, I think I should keep them on a bit longer, but at some point I shut them off, and circularize with the higher ISP aerospikes (I would have a nuke pair on there, but I want to limit myself to only using those outside of kerbin's atmosphere, in orientations where the exhaust is on a kerbin escape trajectory (given that the exhaust velocity is ~8,000 m/s, thats not a problem in most cases once in orbit)

1966881_10102506321827793_636161842_n.jpg

Here it is in the VAB, loaded with the Duna 1 mission main payload.

The "Tug" and crew capsule

An earlier launch brought up some more fuel (half an orange tank's worth), and a science module (with landing legs, de-orbit/landing thrusters, and parachutes)

1962739_10102506322172103_1122623981_n.jpg

Its named the Mk3, but it should really be the mk 4

My 1 had basically the same cargo cradle and inner wings, and got to orbit in just fine, but when a payload was added, it was underpowered, and didn't carry enough fuel.

So the Mk 2 was built, basic jet engines were added to help during launch, and toroidals to help in orbital insertion, more fuel was added

It launched with a 40 ton payload, but it was a little underfueled, and had to burn 2 tons of the payload's fuel to get to orbit.

The mk3 was built, adding FL-400 tanks to the nose, and some other minor changes (part position adjustments, additional intakes), it successfully launched the duna science package + extra fuel to orbit.

It lacked a power source, and exhausted its electrical charge operating reaction wheels. It also proved to be unstable when nearly compleely empty, using the RCS fuel in the nose only exacerbated this, it barely was able to make it down for a safe landing.

The mk4 was launched, including supplementary battery packs, solar panels, and additional lifting/control surfaces to the rear.

The payload was near the upper weight limit, but more importantly, was too wide... it wouldn't fit horizontally in the cargo cradle, and when rotated vertically", some parts scraped the ground, and the payload parts interfered with the strutting of the cargo cradle. The former was solved via a minor payload redesign.

The latter was unsolvable, and it required an extra soft landing, because it was extra flimsy (although not so bad when its so light after returning) it also took a lot of wiggling and rcs use to dislodge the payload, with parts that didn't fit so well through the gap in the cargo cradle.

- still the mk4 is stable, reliably launches 41 or so tons to orbit, although that payload is subject ot certain dimensional restrictions.

I'm considering widening the caro cradle for a Mk5 variant, or designing a completely new "Heavy Lifter"

I also made a small piggyback lifter for launching small payloads, but it is a bit... meh, the payload must have its own rocket engine (fuel will be transfered to top up the payload tanks before release) (its an SSTO, made for launching a SSTO spaceplane for use on Duna, which makes use of the aforementioned ducted electric fan part to get the spaceplane to about 200 m/s and about 7,000 meters altitude before firing its rocket)

* will add pics when I get home, and of the "SSTO mk1"

My first working, complete stock prototype of this nice thing...

KDpGTjJ.png

part count: 174

- engines: 2 Turbo Jets and 2 of the small Rockomax

- doing a first 105k orbit with fuel left

btw in atmosphere it flies like a brick but it flies...

292qknm.jpg

2lvfpt4.jpg

j9oeh5.jpg

2l9s7pi.jpg

Edited by 9t3ndo

I've done some tweaking on the Dragonfly Mk. XV edition, mainly, I added a pair of RTG's to keep power flowing even when the solar panels are retracted. I tweaked the outer tanks attached to the turbojets and drained half of the oxidizer, since I don't really need it. Haven't tried replacing the Gigantors with the smaller 1x6 panels yet, I'm concerned that an equivalent amount of 1x6 panels would not supply the same amount of power to the ion drives that the 6 Gigantor panels would provide. I also have moved the Radial 1x6 panels slightly forward to catch more sunlight. Still trying to figure out where I wanna place a ladder so Jeb can get on and off of the ship.

A productive day-off (at least concerning KSP) has resulted in a few new SSTOs.

This first one was built around rapier engines. I really haven't investigated them much since their release, so I figured I'd play around.

AD9aOMm.png

I just wanted to mess with some build Ideas that were knocking around in my head. It's really nothing special, but I think it is pretty.

xOySLSx.png

I also managed to make a Light Cargo SSTO in record time. Sometimes they just fall together, and sometimes you fight them endlessly.

lQvPo3A.png

I still haven't decided which cockpit arrangement to go with...

Ew9f2Wj.png

Any opinions on that?

And then THIS thing happened.

hMjw2ed.png

I was just trying to make an "engine pod" sub-assembly for a larger craft when I thought "hey... slap a cockpit and some wings on that sucker and go!"

It is successful as an SSTO, but is much more adept at causing serious eye pain.

PPDqt3E.png

First One is saiks.

Second first cockpit is my preference. saiksee too.

But the last one. I swear. If you don't let us download the craft file I'll zgoizbgoz^z^^cozdeogzbv^zb^gh. Please? :'( the plane is SO from the X games.

I have looked through "almost" every posting and I cannot see that anyone has done what I am trying to do. But I could be wrong.

I want to build a SSTO with these specifications

-Vertical takeoff to circular 70km orbit and then back to vertical landing at space port without refueling

-No air-breathing engines

-MK1-2 command pod (3 men).

-No Parachutes

I can do this with the Command Pod MK1, and almost with the 2-man MK2 lander-can.

I am at the point where if I add more fuel, it just uses that fuel to carry itself. And if I get too much more fuel, then I don't have the thrust to get into orbit. Catch-22.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regex, cool shuttle!

It's really a crime that we don't have a stock mk3 cargo bay.

NKL, I'll upload that monstrosity just for you when I get home tonight.

Edit: Here it is.

Note that I take no responsibility for playability, flyability, or reliability. That said the litterally 20 minutes of testing I did seemed good!

Edited by Exothermos

I have looked through "almost" every posting and I cannot see that anyone has done what I am trying to do. But I could be wrong.

-Vertical takeoff to circular 70km orbit and then back to vertical landing at space port without refueling

-No Parachutes

I can do this with the Command Pod MK1, and almost with the 2-man MK2 lander-can.

I am at the point where if I add more fuel, it just uses that fuel to carry itself. And if I get too much more fuel, then I don't have the thrust to get into orbit. Catch-22.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

my first thought was - build in a kraken drive

-No Parachutes

The LV-T30 is a good engine for rockets like this. For example, take the command pod, and attach a X200-32 fuel tank below it. Then add four more X200-32 fuel tanks radially, and attach a LV-T30 engine below each of the five fuel tanks. You'll get almost 5800 m/s of vacuum delta-v, with TWR 1.09 at launch. Some fine tuning will be needed, but that's probably quite close to the right engines-to-fuel ratio.

Regex, cool shuttle!

It's really a crime that we don't have a stock mk3 cargo bay.

NKL, I'll upload that monstrosity just for you when I get home tonight.

Edit: Here it is.

Note that I take no responsibility for playability, flyability, or reliability. That said the litterally 20 minutes of testing I did seemed good!

Wow thx man ! can't wait to see how you do such a design ! And to test it of course :P

The plane look like a whale shark with the big mouth wide open hahah =D

I think I caught the spaceplane bug... I was trying to keep this install completely stock but I just had to have a cargo bay.

http://imgur.com/a/FNKU0

That looks great! I've got to get myself something along those lines. And ditto on the cargo bay, such a part should make it into the stock game.

A productive day-off (at least concerning KSP) has resulted in a few new SSTOs.

(snip)

A productive day indeed! You must be a very aesthetically talented person, I mean, I can get a plane to look that cool once in a while, but you churn out beauties non-stop. I like the cargo one a lot, especially with the first cockpit. Good job!

Rune. Design does go faster with experience.

This is my first truly successful SSTO or space plane really. I have made plenty that could get to orbit but none actually flew very well. This thing is just so docile, you have to try to get it to lose control and when it does it will quickly recover.

It has a service ceiling of about 33km and a top speed of 2km/s. It might be able to go faster but I don't have the patience to find out, it was still accelerating but very slowly. It gets to orbit with about 1k dV left in the rocket mode. I designed it to go to Laythe with my orbital lab. It is capable of flying manned or unmanned.

On the ground if you keep it below 10 m/s you can unlock the nose wheel with action group 0 and taxi with no fear of tipping. To toggle air intakes you use the action groups 8 and 9, 1 is to log data from all the science instruments and 2 toggles the mobility enhancer.

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jccrh5m1g3i9fqq/Staggerwing.craft

https://www.dropbox.com/s/da60yc5h9kdmbby/screenshot19.png

This thing has impressive short field performance. If you rotate at 10 m/s you're flying at 18 m/s.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayaqdiut5futwv9/screenshot32.png

I couldn't figure out how to get my dropbox images to display so I just made links to the images.

Edited by HelmyJune

Finally did it, I have gone absolutely crazy. Here is a SSTO Spaceplane for the Real Solar System with RO plugin.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

110km x 110km orbit, very little fuel left but it is the first SSTO spaceplane I have made for the RSS. Now that I know what I need I can finally get to the hard work and making them bigger and better.

The LV-T30 is a good engine for rockets like this. For example, take the command pod, and attach a X200-32 fuel tank below it. Then add four more X200-32 fuel tanks radially, and attach a LV-T30 engine below each of the five fuel tanks. You'll get almost 5800 m/s of vacuum delta-v, with TWR 1.09 at launch. Some fine tuning will be needed, but that's probably quite close to the right engines-to-fuel ratio.

Thanks for the help. I was using the FTmn 280 nuclear engine to get the Mk1 into orbit, but it is just too large and heavy for much else. Your help was just the bit I needed. I used X200-16's for two of the tanks and that worked well. However, the resulting lander is quite large and it topples over easily, so I still have some work to do.

Thanks.