Random Facts About KSP

Pigbear

In older versions(don't know if the newest have) if you move upward in VAB then set angle of camera a little downward, you can see through the roof and watch the parts interface hanging up there.

If you send a Kerbal into Jool at high time warp, there's a chance it can break the game when they reach Jools "surface"

doesn't that work for any planet/moon though? It definitely can go through any planet at high warp.

Hmm. Random facts.

aircraft in game can only be saved if you land them or get them up above about 35 km.

If you have an already saved ship, you can launch it directly by clicking on the launch pad rather than going to the VAB (click on the runway for spaceplanes.)

Minmus has an inclination of exactly 6º, and both of the moons of Kerbin along with Kerbin itself have 0º eccentricity around their parent bodies. Gilly has a surface gravity of 0.049 m/s^2. Ike has an inclination of 0.2º and has a mean anomaly of 3.14. Kerbin has a radius of 600 km and Jool 6000 km.

All from memory, no wiki used.

Kerbin is half as large as Pluto.

Jool is the same size as Earth.

MIND BLOWN.

The collision box of the SPH is way too big: Standing on it it seems like you float in air.

The Mainsail Engine is the only stock engine wich overheats near kerbin without other boosters or engines around it.

If the 1m parts have a diameter of 1m, Kerbals are only around 50-70 cm tall. Cute!

You cant move planets or moons because they are on rails.

those tiny cubic struts? NEVER EVER use those. They ruin EVERYTHING if you have any of them on your ship and dock. I've lost entire ships to them. I think they ought to be called "The Kraken's little angels"
I use those all the time, and never had a problem. In fact...

Random Fact: you can use the tiny cubic strut to attach things in places they wouldn't normally belong! Temstar's "engine cluster" trick is a famous example.

One of the loading screen hints says "Overlaying grid onto Bezier curves", this is a high-geek reference to the recurring "Reticulating Splines" line found on similar loading screens in many a Maxis game

A "Spline" then refers to a mathematically defined curve, which is continuous as a function of x/y coordinates, SimCity2000 would then "Reticulate" such curves by arraying grid tiles at regular intervals, creating an isometric 3D terrain. - A female voice read "Reticulating Splines" aloud when a terrain was generated, back in the '90s, this sounded "futuristic" perhaps...

The term was further popularized when it reappeared in the first version of "The Sims" during loading, possibly as an internal joke, although there indeed were still some splines being reticulated, as that game was not entirely rendered on 3D models

I told HarvesteR about this curious fact maybe a month or two ago... He got the joke, apparently! :wink:

Edited by Moach

• 1 year later...

Some Jool facts:

If you Observe the Materials bay above jool you´ll the famous line: "I'm sorry but i can't let you do that" from the Doors... a nice Easter egg

Jool doesnt actually have a surface,the universe will basically vanish around you like when entering a black hole and you`ll be crushed by Jools pressure! (I have actual Video footage)

Deep into Jools atmoshphere you´ll only see black below you!

At around 2000m above the surface youll craft (in my case a Spaceplane) will shake uncontrollably which is the first sign of Jools extreme pressure!

You can get out of Jools atmosphere without using an engine!

Jool is the Size of earth!

Its green!

You can see clouds while floating at 200000m

NEVER SET JOOL AS A MOON OF KERBIN! :(

In 0.25, if you accelerated an object fast enough by clamped launch clamps, physics gets confused and the launch clamps will follow you up for a few hundred meters, farther if the launched object gets tangled with the flying launch clamps.

Click and hold your middle mouse button while in flight and you can drag the camera around in a small cone.

Intakes float on water and make a 'Ping' noise if they submerge and pop up again, get enough of them rolling around and you get a pleasant tinkling sound.

If you attach a Claw to a cargo bay door, then open the door, the door will slide through the claw and the claw will float in space where it was first attached.

You can tilt forward and back while using the jetpack on EVA by clicking and dragging up and down. Tilting down head-first while falling so the kerbal lands on his helmet is an almost-certain way to survive a fall from orbit.

aircraft in game can only be saved if you land them or get them up above about 35 km.

I'm pretty sure this is no longer correct. It may be true that you cannot save below 3500m but I'm pretty sure you can. In fact over the weekend I had to do a save edit to not lose Jeb because I quick saved a plane in flight with Jeb sitting in the EAS-1 External Command Seat while trying to complete an aerial survey mission. Unfortunately whenever I would Quick load Jeb would get knocked slightly out of the seat and would no longer register as a pilot so I was no longer able to engage SAS and the navball would register say 15-20 degrees off what it should have making navigation very difficult. Presumably when the game was loading up the physics the wind shear was pushing him slightly out? I don't know but even after dozens of attempts I gave up and simply edited him back onto the roster. I am now staying away from using the EAS on Kerbin aircraft.

In 0.25, if you accelerated an object fast enough by clamped launch clamps, physics gets confused and the launch clamps will follow you up for a few hundred meters, farther if the launched object gets tangled with the flying launch clamps.

I remember doing this a few times when working on kraken warheads that could be detonated when you wanted them to go off rather than at any moment. After a while they fly around at multiple c and I think I got a launch clamp out of the atmosphere.

If you hold shift on a ladder while pressing one of the WASD keys, your kerbal's head will look in the direction corresponding to one of said keys. If you do this and click space, your kerbal will dive in that direction.

W= Up

A= Left

S= Down

D= Right

I never knew that. So do they actually dive or just jump in that direction and basically trip on the landing.

If they actually dive I'm gonna do something really cool.

Some EVA facts :

common facts :

(1) The jet packs has about 500 m/s of dv, and it's fuel has no weight

(2) It accelerates at ~4 m/s, Duna has the highest surface gravity at which you can use them.

(3) However, a jet powered jump on kerbin is ~70 cm high, ~20 cm higher than without jet. Can be usefull when you forgot the mobility enchancers.

(4) A Kerbal on EVA wheight 90 kg, but that wheight is not added/substracted while entering a pod. However, it is when on a command seat. A kerbal on a command seat is very much like a Kerbal on EVA.

less known facts :

(5) The drag coefficient of a kerbal is 0.1, while most parts have it set to 0.2. That's why you will most likely fall of ladders if you try to go on EVA in atmosphere, and fall faster than your rocket, unless it is mainly made of plane cockpit and wings.

(6) Crash tolerance is around 60 m/s, more than any non structural parts. However, Kerbal often randomly bounce instead of crashing (I've been up to 200 m/s, sturdier than Grider!). Here are conditions that favor bouncing :

- no time warp

- feet first (preferably with jet on)

- even more efficient : head first (left click and drag while jet on, or

).

- speed : the slower the best. The jet can save tenth of m/s. (I would say 20-30)

- crash on land. I have never bounced on water.