Is it bad to use KSP mods?

Some consider it cheating, but hey, if you want to have a greater part inventory to choose from to vary the game play, then have at it. Whatever floats your boat my friend.

Mods in a game is like option in a car. It's for your personnal use and pleasure, some make the life easier, there's always someone to complain about it but it's your own choice. In a sandbox single player game there's no cheating because cheating is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain unfair advantage in a competitive situation. There's no competition in KSP unless I've missed something. And mods are what differentiate good and amazing games. A good game could only become an amazing one if it can be modded.

People use mods for all sorts of reasons - new parts, extra challenge, more fun. At the end of the day, its only cheating if you want it to be cheating (and just who ARE you cheating? Its a single player sandbox game, at the moment anyway.) :)

You sir, are worse than Hitler!

Seriously though, I don't use mods because I think they're more hassle than they're worth. However if it gives you pleasure to use them then you're not exactly hurting anyone.

It's really an opinion, and if anyone starts raging otherwise the thread will no doubt grab moderator AKA "mod" attention... ha. I think Hyperedit is essential if you like building more intricate structures in space for art, or, like me, computers, but there are a lot of amazing well-balanced more out there if you want to play legit...

It's really an opinion, and if anyone starts raging otherwise the thread will no doubt grab moderator AKA "mod" attention... ha. I think Hyperedit is essential if you like building more intricate structures in space for art, or, like me, computers, but there are a lot of amazing well-balanced more out there if you want to play legit...

Both mods you listed are, for the most part, balanced against stock. They don't so much make things easier as they provide more flexibility. A case could be made for MechJeb or HyperEdit to be "cheating", if such a thing is possible in a sandbox game, but for things like KW Rocketry or B9 Aerospace? Not so much. There are also non-parts mods that just give you more information about your craft and allow you to make informed design decisions during the build phase, such as Engineer Redux.

Furthermore, some mods actually add an additional level of challenge to the game, such as the RemoteTech mod, which enforces line of sight communication back to the Kerbal Space Center in order to control unmanned probes/rovers. This means it's necessary to put up a functional communications satellite network to really do much with unmanned craft. Or Ferram Aerospace Research (highly recommended!), which implements a realistic aerodynamic system in the game, rather than the incredibly simplified system the stock game uses. I use both and they really add a new layer to the game.

Anyway, I'd suggest trying a few of those mods, and see what you think. If you don't like them, or feel they make things too easy, it's a simple matter to remove them anymore. Personally, I would avoid things like MechJeb and Hyperedit, simply because they remove the challenge, but that's me. The great thing about Kerbal Space Program is that it's got such incredible mod support. Make the game your own.

Some mods like hyper edit seem like a great idea at first but totally ruin the game play. I used to play a game called civilization 4 it was a good game it was challenging, fun and creative but i found this button called "world editor"

What it did was basically make it so you can spawn units in and tip the balance of the game.

After I discovered it I vowed to never touch and i would play completly letgit but eveytime the game got even a bit hard I would always glance up at the darn world edit button and finally i started to use it

Then I started to use it more and more, eventually the game wasnt challenging anymore and i grew board of it. What I am trying to say is use mods at your own risk personally I think there are some amzing mods out there that make the game so much more fun but keep in mind its only yourself that your cheating if you do use a cheat mod

I never use HyperEdit unless I want to test a craft on another planet, and afterwards I always "clean up" (end flight on ALL THE DEBRIS!) But other than that just part packs and some plugins.

Some mods like hyper edit seem like a great idea at first but totally ruin the game play. I used to play a game called civilization 4 it was a good game it was challenging, fun and creative but i found this button called "world editor"

What it did was basically make it so you can spawn units in and tip the balance of the game.

After I discovered it I vowed to never touch and i would play completly letgit but eveytime the game got even a bit hard I would always glance up at the darn world edit button and finally i started to use it

Then I started to use it more and more, eventually the game wasnt challenging anymore and i grew board of it. What I am trying to say is use mods at your own risk personally I think there are some amzing mods out there that make the game so much more fun but keep in mind its only yourself that your cheating if you do use a cheat mod

That's probably a good thing; Civ 4 was, at the time, the most addictive game ever made. The amount of times I swore I'd go to bed at 10pm and end up playing until 4 am were countless. The sleep deprevation was worse than having a newborn baby.

Mods add parts and variety to the game. If you want to use the same few parts to build the same lookalike ships over and over, go for it. But the rest of us will be having fun with our mods, making cool looking ships.

Also, can vouch for Civ 4 taking up many nights that I swore to myself I would study.

The Developer team working on KSP is very small and while they work very hard and do their best to fix bugs and roll out new content they can only do so much at a time. Thats' where the mod makers come in. When you look at all those planned features on the KSP wiki you'll find that a lot of them currently have a mod that will do the same thing or something similar now, just look at the Kethane or sub-assembly mods for example. Some mod makers have even been hired as developers and a few of their mods will be integrated into the stock game such as KSP X.

So no, mods are not bad or "cheeting", they are just getting early access to planned features as well as more variety with existing ones.

Both mods you listed are, for the most part, balanced against stock. They don't so much make things easier as they provide more flexibility. A case could be made for MechJeb or HyperEdit to be "cheating", if such a thing is possible in a sandbox game, but for things like KW Rocketry or B9 Aerospace? Not so much. There are also non-parts mods that just give you more information about your craft and allow you to make informed design decisions during the build phase, such as Engineer Redux.

Furthermore, some mods actually add an additional level of challenge to the game, such as the RemoteTech mod, which enforces line of sight communication back to the Kerbal Space Center in order to control unmanned probes/rovers. This means it's necessary to put up a functional communications satellite network to really do much with unmanned craft. Or Ferram Aerospace Research (highly recommended!), which implements a realistic aerodynamic system in the game, rather than the incredibly simplified system the stock game uses. I use both and they really add a new layer to the game.

Anyway, I'd suggest trying a few of those mods, and see what you think. If you don't like them, or feel they make things too easy, it's a simple matter to remove them anymore. Personally, I would avoid things like MechJeb and Hyperedit, simply because they remove the challenge, but that's me. The great thing about Kerbal Space Program is that it's got such incredible mod support. Make the game your own.

What you call challenge is not what other people call challenge. And as long as it's a sandbox single player game, you only have the challenges you choose.

It clearly depends on your own ability to impose yourself limits. If you're not able to do so, you'd better have to not touch them.

What you call challenge is not what other people call challenge. And as long as it's a sandbox single player game, you only have the challenges you choose.

Yes. As I said directly in my post that you quoted, "that's me". It's ultimately up to people to decide what they're looking for in the game. If they simply wish to see space, and not worry about the specifics of getting there, then HyperEdit and Mechjeb are a good bet. That's not what I'm looking for, but with Kerbal Space Program, due to the incredible customizability, you can make the game your own. There's not necessarily a right or wrong answer here.

Yes. As I said directly in my post that you quoted, "that's me". It's ultimately up to people to decide what they're looking for in the game. If they simply wish to see space, and not worry about the specifics of getting there, then HyperEdit and Mechjeb are a good bet. That's not what I'm looking for, but with Kerbal Space Program, due to the incredible customizability, you can make the game your own. There's not necessarily a right or wrong answer here.

That's why this game is so amazing. You maybe find challenging to land on Gilly "by hand" when I seek the same level of challenge by having a probable space program :)

You sir, are worse than Hitler!

Seriously though, I don't use mods because I think they're more hassle than they're worth. However if it gives you pleasure to use them then you're not exactly hurting anyone.

Hassle?! You unzip a single folder into another single folder and that's it. You don't like the mod, you delete it. And this is a hassle how?

But I LOL'd at the Hitler comment... though I thought more about prude nuns :D

Using mods are NOT cheating, and nobody should tell you that using one does. Except for Challenges, where you'll have to conform with the parameters set by the poster of a challenge you are taking.

No one should dictate you what or what not to use, and everything would merely serve as a guide. YOU CANNOT CHEAT IN A SINGLE PLAYER GAME, NO MATTER WHAT YOU'LL DO. YOU ARE IN CHARGE ON EVERYTHING, AND YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING WHAT YOU WANT.

Don't get me preaching around here.

And this is a hassle how?
Glance around the forum at all the posts that say things like, "I installed Mod X and now my Kerbals have no faces!" Or "I can't play the new version because all the mods I need haven't been updated yet!" I'd call those headaches. :)

Glance around the forum at all the posts that say things like, "I installed Mod X and now my Kerbals have no faces!" Or "I can't play the new version because all the mods I need haven't been updated yet!" I'd call those headaches. :)

I guess I've gotten used to modding all sorts of games, and modding heavily at that. Do not try this at home kids, we are trained professionals :D