Carina: SSTO Heavy Cargo Shuttle (B9 Aerospace)

I'll have to try this one out. I spent all morning working on a SSTO to get a small station core to orbit. It just kept getting bigger and bigger.

27ysx8z.jpg

2rxv120.jpg

I was looking for a workable shuttle, would like to find something smaller that would work and be reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
GReat design, flies good, but definitely need to readjust Launch sequence for reaching orbit in 0.21.. even with only 16t load, ran out of fuel before a 50km apo (not even circular) Gonna play with some flightpathing to see if i can max out efficency on it.

Good to see it's not my piloting skills in this case.

I'm working on a B9 Aero SSTO that's ended up being similar to the Carina.... was tooling around with adding air intakes. Perhaps there's a way to salvage this design, without resorting to the gianormous wings?

Edit:

What I did with mine that fixed it, and I'm betting this is going to translate well to the Carina...

On the leading edge of the wing, in the space between the wings, put the box intakes.

Other things that have helped: fuel drop tanks, and SRB booster rockets.

Edited by almagnus1

• 1 month later...
What an amazing craft, and an amazing post, with the video, pictures, etc.! Great work!

Tested in FAR...can take 2 full orange tanks to 100km orbit. VERY difficult to control but can take twice the payload if you want to put in the extra effort. Note: if the altitude starts to drop at any time, switch to rocket mode until it starts to rise, then switch back to air breathing.

http://www.filedropper.com/planetaryclassheavylifter

• 6 months later...

As of April 28, 2014, the VAB and SPH files are missing/not downloadable. I had this plane on my old KSP install and LOVED it, but I had to restore everything after some mods when kraken-y on me...any chance of getting the links in the OP fixed? If not, could someone that has the files put them up so this glorious plane doesn't get lost to the ages? Pretty please? :sealed:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't mean to revive this thread from the grave, but I got a direct message request about this ship and I realized that the original links went dead many years ago. I've updated the links to the original .craft files. I'm sure work will be required to update this to v1.6, but it's a start!

28 minutes ago, ChronicSilence said:

I don't mean to revive this thread from the grave, but I got a direct message request about this ship and I realized that the original links went dead many years ago. I've updated the links to the original .craft files. I'm sure work will be required to update this to v1.6, but it's a start!

Nothing wrong with necroing your own thread :-)

Welcome back, it's a nice looking plane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.