[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Ofcourse. But it would be nice with just a few lines explaining what the partmodule does/what fields it uses, especcialy since its closed source making it not legal to look at the private members inside the dll.

Btw ksp is public beta, Not alpha (alpha is technically when only the devs are testing the sw internally) but it does go under the same definition of "under development" sw.

fix it dammit :(

Calm down. It'll be fixed when it's fixed. Sirkut basically had the rug pulled out from under him with 23.5, turning everything upside down, shaking all the parts out, and leaving him to pick-up the pieces. Hopefully there aren't major changes that do this to IR again in future, but this kind of thing in inevitable when the game is under development.

Ofcourse. But it would be nice with just a few lines explaining what the partmodule does/what fields it uses, especcialy since its closed source making it not legal to look at the private members inside the dll.

Actually the legality of that is more about what you do with it and less that you do it. I haven't read through the EULA in it's entirety (bad me, not reading every contract ten pages long we have to agree to now to use anything...goddamn 21st century), but I'm pretty certain that it includes a clause about not reverse engineering the software. Most privately owned software does. That doesn't stop you from doing it, and it's not illegal to do it, but it is in violation of the EULA, which means that Squad would thereafter be under no obligation to provide you with any copies of it, regardless of your paying for it.

But no, reverse engineering software (or hardware for that matter) is generally not illegal in and of itself. What you do with it after could be though, like reproducing the software or hardware, branding it your own, and then selling it. Then you're actually doing something that most nation-states have a law against. But there's no criminal or civil law (usually) against a private person (or group of people) taking apart something just for the sake of seeing how it works.

Ofcourse. But i think its probably a gray(/black?) area to be discussing or posting it on the forums. Thats what i meant.

Ps. I think sirkut is doing a great job. Nice to hear hes gotten a morale boost from working with debugging the plugin. Funny how things works out. Im just happy he is still working on it. No rush

Edited by landeTLS

Pursuing my mass theory, I created a copy of the Probodobodyne OKTO with a slightly different mass - 0.1001 tons instead of the 0.1 tons of the stock one. Success! Well, sorta. The large (0.1t) hinge pops when attached to the 0.1t probe core, but not when attached to the 0.1001t one, even though the mass is the only difference between the two.

To make even more sure, I tried with 0.100000009t - the smallest possible positive difference from 0.1t using single-precision floating point (I tried with double precision first, and got no difference, so I assume KSP uses floats instead of doubles). And yes, that's enough. The large hinge pops on the 0.1t probe, not on the 0.100000009t one.

Edited by Biotronic

That is some hardcore sciencing, Biotronic! :)

Thought: did you try a few more masses for the probe, maybe 0.09, 0.05, 0.11, 0.15 etc to make sure it's not some kind of funniness just at masses right near the 0.1T?

What can I say. I aim to please. :)

He Shoots .! .. He Scores ! :)

I have utterly zero input from a testing perspective as I just slap parts on a ship and hope it flies for the most part

so just on here to add my support to you Sirkut,

only a few mods that keep me coming back to KSP,

the joint rigidity one, Kethane and INFERNAL ROBOTICS .. /clap

whenever it's ready,. I'll re-install the game and continue sending mad robots to the mun.. in the meantime .. there's always other games.

peace out and thanks

help!! i installed Infernal Robotics and the toolbar but i see no buttons one's i leave the hanger.

i see the toolbar but no infernal robotics button's and i love this mod.

i made this in version 0,22 (not toolbar)

and i want to make more

can some one me tell where to put the toolbar to make it work.

Well for one, we can't read your mind so you need to tell us which version of KSP you used and which version of IR you used. And I vaguely recall sirkut mentioning something about the toolbar disappearing-act being a very low priority right now, for the most current version, which is a beta and you shouldn't be touching it for anything but testing anyway.

Later today I'm going to take a look at the Lazor robotic arms fix that Romfarer has done. Maybe there is something I can learn from what he did. Until then I would hold off on any further testing.

I don't post very often because, frankly, forums confuse and infuriate me! (Just kidding, I just typically suck at navigating them and stuff.) However, your mod is absolutely awesome. It needs to be said, and said alot. I downloaded this mod one day out of boredom along with a few others to try to get the most out of KSP after I'd played vanilla to death. I didn't really know what to think of all the robotic parts at first. I thought, "sure, this is neat, but what can I even do with it?" So the mod stayed installed but I never really made use of the parts. Occasionally I'd experiment with them a little, but ultimately decided that they were just toys and had no real practical use. As time went on, I eventually got KAS and Interstellar, and Kethane, and started a 'mining base' on Moho. Then I thought of Descent, and how they had robots doing alot of the mining in that game, and thought, "Huh. I could build a mining robot with Kethane drills on it's arms and use the robotic parts to make it." Sure, not very practical still, but very cool nonetheless. It wasn't until ARM that I realized just how essential this mod is to me.

I've struggled with how to get rovers onto other planets for a while now. I mean, sure, I could just build it into the rocket in a clunky ugly way and land it down. I have made drop harnesses as I call them several times. However, I do like to try to keep my rockets aerodynamic and somewhat plausible, and eventually I thought, "How did they get the rover onto the moon IRL?"

It freakin' folded up. So I thought, "Holy crap! I could use the hinges from Magic Smoke Industries to make the wheels fold up and I could probably stuff it in one of the stage covers from KW! Oh... MSI is incompatible at the moment. Oh well, no matter, I can do with out..."

I have checked the forums every day to see if this mod works yet, and I patiently wait for the day that it is fixed up, and each day without it I think of a few more ways I can utilize the parts within. In summary, this mod is epic, and you are a boss for dedicating your time to giving use the privilege of enjoying it. Please, please, please ignore the ingrates, the flamers, and keep this mod going. KSP just would not be the same without it. Thank you, Sirkut, for making this mod. :D

I dont know if anyone else had already done that regarding this issue, but I sent an email to Squad, that we would like some support. I'll keep you guys posted on what/when/if they say about it.

I may have a bit to add, not sure if it's relevant at all to the immediate issues or if it's already been reported. I made that "thing" below, if I start with the pod as root, then add hinge, then tank, the hinge is miss-aligned at launch but functions and moving the hinge moves the internal cockpit view of the outside world as expected. If I start with the tank as root, then add hinge, then pod, at launch the hinge is perfectly aligned, functions correctly but only the external view of the pod moves, in internal view the nav ball rotates to indicate the angle of the pod is changing but the internal pod view of the outside world doesn't rotate and stays pointing at the horizon. Further than that, if I start with pod as root, then connect the hinge backwards (the bit that's supposed to move to the pod), then the tank, the whole thing functions correctly without misaligned, with correct internal view movement but the visual model of the hinge if wrong.

The disconnected internal view issue appears to be carried over from at least 0.23 although I've not seen it reported, and the same parts with different root working/not working has probably been covered so this may not be so helpful, and I'm not sure about reversing the hinge - In that particular case it seems to fix misalignment but obviously breaks the visual animation. And, thanks for the time and effort being put into getting this working - we all appreciate it!

z12Oqo8.jpg