[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

It's all about Editor Tools and a few hours painstakingly dragging elements across other elements at high zoom.

The cargo bay is a heavily tortured bomb bay from Firespitter. Get Firespitter installed correctly and place the following in a bomb-bay-minimal.cfg anywhere within GameData, KSP will sort it out:

PART
{

name = FSbombBay_small_half
module = Part
author = Snjo

MODEL {
model = Firespitter/Parts/Fuselage/FS_bombBay/model
texture = Firespitter/Parts/Fuselage/FS_bombBay/model000
position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
rotation = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
scale = 0.5, 0.25, 0.5
}

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_one = 0.0, 0.0, -0.31, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.46875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.46875, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_attach = 0.625, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0

cost = 3000
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = FS1BB-SH Bomb Bay
manufacturer = Bitesized Industries
description = The smallest size of bomb bay that can be expected to be of any use to anyone.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.075
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 20
breakingForce = 1e37
breakingTorque = 1e37
maxTemp = 2900

MODULE
{
//module documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iD52DfHft04Hb48TEhF5a4n5JOc8efUevdg5Y_QPICQ/edit?usp=sharing
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = bombBayDoors
startEventGUIName = Open Doors
endEventGUIName = Close doors
toggleActionName = Toggle doors
startDeployed = False
customAnimationSpeed = 1.0
availableInEVA = True
availableInVessel = True
EVArange = 5
layer = 1
useActionEditorPopup = True
moduleID = 0
}

// PART END
}

I'm making some robotics friendly probe cores and carrier bodies with moving parts in mind, think one piece objects with available inner spaces and recesses for stowage of folded parts etc

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is a (probe/0.625m format) test type with internal nodes working around the convex collider limitation for providing inner spaces

Edited by NoMrBond

Sounds promising. Can you make ones with animated sliding covers?

I did think about that, but if I do the animation with the parts themselves, you couldn't attached anything to the animated covers/doors/parts etc, which would reduce their usefulness significantly

So what I was thinking about instead is maybe providing structural panels which fit the spaces (or making the spaces fit with stock parts) so that users can make their own opening systems which are also functional in ways I might not consider or would not be possible if they were conventionally animated

Consider a square tube cover then. If the node_attach is positioned in such a way that it can be placed on a rail that is on the side of the main body, it can slide off as a whole and you still get the use of the exterior of the cover.

I'll look at making some capsule like covers and the structural panels next, I wanted to thrash out useful layouts and also the various sized parts first though

Also wanted to having 'unique function' parts tied to very specific uses (i.e. only fits 1/4 size hinge at a certain point on one probe), so I'll give that some thought as I'd like any parts to be useful in their own right

[Edit] 1.25m In-line bay (with structural doors)

The panels are still singular, they'll be stitched together so you only need two (one each side) as soon as I finish the maths for the positioning

[Edit 2] Progress on the 1.25m bay doors

Edited by NoMrBond

Is there a way to manipulate the parts such as the hinge during the assembly phase? I am able to rotate the piece, but I want to be able to extend or retract, tilt, etc. An example would be having one of the powered hinges all the way to the left. I apologize if you have already answered this question.

Mihara

Nice job with the rover, what is its main function?

This particular one is more of a curiosity, I wanted to figure out if it's possible to squish a reusable rover into that cargo bay. Turns out that squish yes, but if I want it to be reusable I've got no choice but to use Bobcat's LRV. :) It's a derivative of a much more successful but less amusing 2-kerbal rover that fits into a bay twice as long and only folds once rather than twice -- it's used on my Laythe SSTO seaplane.

Part is attached, no gui, I saved that craft and started a new one, didn't show up when placing a part on the new one. I had just gone from the mission to KSC scenery, and then back into the SPH, don't know if that has anything to do with it, I'll try to reproduce it.

Part is attached, no gui, I saved that craft and started a new one, didn't show up when placing a part on the new one. I had just gone from the mission to KSC scenery, and then back into the SPH, don't know if that has anything to do with it, I'll try to reproduce it.

I've seen this once before too. At the time I attributed it to lack of memory as I run a lot of mods and KSP is almost always on the edge of crashing from lack of memory.

I had one issue where I have a docking port separating two ships. Both have robotic parts attached but when I undock as separate vessels the robotics GUI pops up for a split second then disappears and I cannot right click on the parts to bring the GUI up even though the rest of the vessel is okay.

My GUI stays active, but the telescope that the docking port was mounted to is broken, even reloading (space center -> tracking station -> vehicle) doesn't resolve that.

But I wanted to ask for a small feature... Could you add (or make a seperate mini-addon) hinges that are 90° tilted? (so, 100%), so we can built pre-folded stuff (that fits inside fairings or is just more compact). Or is there a way to do this via CFG?

Edit: Oh, should clarify: I mean the tall hinges.

Edited by cy-one

I made it now with the... uhm... door hinge thingies, although I would really prefer the tall ones for this :D besides reducing part count, it would just look better. So if it will get added, I would still want to use it :D and replace my thing with that.

screenshot98.png

screenshot97.png

FIXED: Robot parts don't like it when only one of the hotkeys is entered. I put another key in the other slot and now it works! I have the base of a working self-covering-up hexapod thing!

Is there a likely conflict when too many groups are assigned to a key? I have 13 groups, about, 8 of which use the Y key for one or other direction for... REASONS. Thing is, some pieces just don't rotate when in game I press Y. I look close and don't even see them rotating-but-without-turning-what-is-attached (ie, some clipping issue). If I can't fix this I can't get my hexapod to turn its protective cover into its legs!

edit: My one page of kinematics (right?) notes to get the new bot walking right.

tj8rTWHl.jpg

Edited by TinyPirate

I'm pretty sure the last 2 updates are what screwed up my game. I would do a mission and try to quicksave and nothing happens. I try to switch vehicles and nothing, I try to go to the space center and nothing. I uninstalled 0.8 things worked fine, installed 0.8a and the same things happened again. I uninstalled it once again but haven't played it to check.

Update:

I ran the exact same mission without 0.8a installed and it worked fine. None of my ships had any of the parts attached so there must be a conflict with it and one of my any other mods.

Update 2:

Never mind, maybe it's just my computer and too many mods. Ran 3 missions no problem then the last one did the same thing.

Edited by NNYGamer