[0.90] Magic Smoke Industries Infernal Robotics - 0.19.3

sirkut

Just so you know, the term magic smoke originated from blowing electronic chips. They give off this little puff of acrid smoke when you pop them. :)

And they smell really bad. Nice work on the washers. I think the slider is a good idea. A while back I thought about how nice it would be to have a gantry type thing to put the KAS winch on. A beam with a sliding part with stack node. Looks like that should be easy to do with what you have. Glad you and Devo are working on this.

Well I finally had time to try this thing out :)

I must be doing something wrong, I put a docking washer either side of docking ports, but nothing seems to happen :(

gkd.png

I have the Gamedata\MagicSmokeIndustries folder with both parts and Plugin folders inside that... - what am I missing here I wonder?

Well I finally had time to try this thing out :)

I must be doing something wrong, I put a docking washer either side of docking ports, but nothing seems to happen :(

gkd.png

I have the Gamedata\MagicSmokeIndustries folder with both parts and Plugin folders inside that... - what am I missing here I wonder?

Did you set Hotkeys in the VAB? sometimes it wont work if you didn't set it and its left blank. I use 0 and 9 as a standard hotkey to avoid conflicts with stock key assignments.

Also Sirkut, my inbox seems to be playing some magical tricks, so if you get blank messages from me the krakken is to blame, I need to clean it out a but im on max.

Do you have the standard infernal robotics plugin and my forked version on your install? Try removing the standard one and keep mine.

I deleted anything to do with damned and infernal before I copied over your github one :)

Did you set Hotkeys in the VAB? sometimes it wont work if you didn't set it and its left blank. I use 0 and 9 as a standard hotkey to avoid conflicts with stock key assignments.

Hmm, now that I did NOT do, I left them blank cause I figured I would just use the arrows.. - will try it and get back to you - thank you..

UPDATE: yup, that was it, as soon as I put a couple of keys into the thing it worked, thank you very much guys :)

Edited by Simplicity

I deleted anything to do with damned and infernal before I copied over your github one :)

Hmm, now that I did NOT do, I left them blank cause I figured I would just use the arrows.. - will try it and get back to you - thank you..

UPDATE: yup, that was it, as soon as I put a couple of keys into the thing it worked, thank you very much guys :)

No problemo, it's little bugs like that I hope we can fix with Infernal Robotics. I personally never ever use the hotkeys and the only reason I enter them is to allow the part to function, because as you said, you plan on using the onscreen GUI arrows. Hopefully Sirkut can track down the coded cuplrit of that issue, it has bugged me for some time now.

@DYJ I'm sure Sirkut did not do that intentionally and from what I can see has appeased your wishes.

Edited by Devo

Possible bug??

Rather interesting problem I have come across...

If I have a docking washer on a ship and try to launch from the launchpad the engine falls off...

Take the docking washer off and everything is fine, put it on again and the engine falls off again..

Did this with stock engine and a KW engine and was using the standard docking washer

Possible bug??

Rather interesting problem I have come across...

If I have a docking washer on a ship and try to launch from the launchpad the engine falls off...

Take the docking washer off and everything is fine, put it on again and the engine falls off again..

Did this with stock engine and a KW engine and was using the standard docking washer

Hahah. No kidding? I'll have to try this.

put these two lines right below maxTemp in the cfg file

breakingForce = 999

breakingTorque = 999

then relaunch (first go to space center, F12, database, reload) and tell me what it does.

breakingForce = 999

breakingTorque = 999

then relaunch (first go to space center, F12, database, reload) and tell me what it does.

I presume you mean for me to put them in the docking washer :)

Correct sir.

that works now, that's kinda strange since the docking washer is nowhere near the engine, it is above the fuel tank

Edited what I put here originally cause I forgot to give the thing some power after launching lol

Edited by Simplicity

Very VERY awesome concept and work sir! :D I used to have countless re-loading of quicksaves prior to docking because I just can't get the other parts to line-up properly, and even with MJ I had to turn the docking pilot off to finish off the docking, but with this exciting new feature, it'll all be just a bad memory. :) It'll even be useful for those "rotating observatories" in space stations or interplanetary exploration ships that I've got in mind. You've just opened up a whole hundred more possibilities in designing ships with this simple addition. Thanks a lot again, I'm gonna try this out now. :)

that works now, that's kinda strange since the docking washer is nowhere near the engine, it is above the fuel tank

Edited what I put here originally cause I forgot to give the thing some power after launching lol

Great news. I will make the change to the parts tomorrow.

I'm gonna try this out now. :)

Make sure you edit the washer CFG files and add:

breakingForce = 999

breakingTorque = 999

Seems I found a bug which these two lines fix, the dev will be altering the files tomorrow and re-uploading them :)

Make sure you edit the washer CFG files and add:

breakingForce = 999

breakingTorque = 999

Seems I found a bug which these two lines fix, the dev will be altering the files tomorrow and re-uploading them :)

Thanks again for finding that issue. I've updated the files on github and now included the standard free moving docking washer.

These docking washers are awesome, and cant wait to get hands on that slider do-hicky!

I'm curious if MSI is going to be focused on new parts only, or are there plans to make new versions of the old DR parts (minus the new rubberbanding).

Or rather parts the have same basic form & functionality.

Was so happy to hear Sirkut and Devo are making the new KSP robotics.

These docking washers are awesome, and cant wait to get hands on that slider do-hicky!

I'm curious if MSI is going to be focused on new parts only, or are there plans to make new versions of the old DR parts (minus the new rubberbanding).

Or rather parts the have same basic form & functionality.

Was so happy to hear Sirkut and Devo are making the new KSP robotics.

The slider piece should be out today. I honestly don't have a good name for it. I'm not sure what you mean about the rubberbanding. I suppose we could create replacements for each of the items if there's a demand for it. Currently the plan is to release a reasonable set of parts ranging from pistons, hinges, elevators, etc.

Any plans on a gantry using the slider function? Maybe a track that would fit on the stock beams with a slider part that could have a KAS winch (or anything else) mounted to it? The track being the length of the beam.

I'm thinking the adjustable sliding rail is going to come in very handy for docking rovers to bases, etc if you can attach docking ports to it. Can't wait to see what else you gives us. Thanks for taking this on and building upon it.

Adjustable Rail and Gantry prototype parts are coming along. They will be more function than form and I'll probably do a little more modeling to it but I'm a minimalist. I'm not a modelling wizard like Devo so he'll be doing the more complex items. Here's a video showing an unskinned gantry. There's an attachment node on the base so you can hook up your KAS winch dead in the center of the moving part. Enjoy!