[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

Good luck on keeping this plugin up to date as KSP evolves. I'm glad to see someone with the want-to and the energy to take this on.
Thanks for the encouragement; it means a lot to me. :blush: I'm learning fast and hope to bring all the ideas on our list to fruition.

I'd like too, but coding is like Vodoo magic to me, only more complicated:D

I hope someone will help, though. This plugin is worth the ttime spent on it. Awesome work.

Same for me, except that after 5-or-so years of self-study, I understand about half of what I see. However, we have a great team that's enthusiastic and brilliant, so I expect good things no matter what.

I was reading the forum about the planet modding. People say that planet data is hard-codded into the game. Do you have to find a way to edit the game code to make planet changes permanent, then?

But then if you think a bit you could add an option "save solar system parameters" that would create a save file for HyperEdit with all the planet changes wich then can be applied back in one click. And also add "apply on the start of the game" option so those changes would be automaticly made as the game begins.

You'v probably thought of it already, but, well, just in case:)

I was reading the forum about the planet modding. People say that planet data is hard-codded into the game. Do you have to find a way to edit the game code to make planet changes permanent, then?

But then if you think a bit you could add an option "save solar system parameters" that would create a save file for HyperEdit with all the planet changes wich then can be applied back in one click. And also add "apply on the start of the game" option so those changes would be automaticly made as the game begins.

You'v probably thought of it already, but, well, just in case:)

That is exactly my plan, and across the entire plugin to make all settings persistent.

EDIT: BTW, that is an excellent idea, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks so. ;)

The problem is, spacecrafts on orbits tend to become loose when the body they are oriting disappears. Do you know how are the parameters of an orbit are saved in game? From what I can tell it's jus their position on the map+direction+velocity and orbits are calculated from those numbers at each start of the game, so if the gravitatiog body moves, trajectories will be recalculated, up to not involving any additional gravity whatsoever.

Wich means you'll need to save the positions of player-made objects relative to the planets so they wouldn't end up in open space every time the modyfied solar system is loaded.

This is pretty stupid for someone to do, but I mis-clicked one of the buttons while editing the orbit of Kerbin... and made it orbit the Mun.

Obviously it crashed the game...

Perhaps a simple if() to check that you're not trying to make a planet orbit its moon/itself?

Other than that, this is a very very cool mod.

It also made me realise that Kerbin's atmosphere gave it some form of light at night, I removed it and it was pitch black ._.

The problem is, spacecrafts on orbits tend to become loose when the body they are oriting disappears. Do you know how are the parameters of an orbit are saved in game? From what I can tell it's jus their position on the map+direction+velocity and orbits are calculated from those numbers at each start of the game, so if the gravitatiog body moves, trajectories will be recalculated, up to not involving any additional gravity whatsoever.

Wich means you'll need to save the positions of player-made objects relative to the planets so they wouldn't end up in open space every time the modyfied solar system is loaded.

You may be correct. I honestly have no idea, and I haven't gotten that deep into the code yet. I'm still learning C# and Unity.

This is pretty stupid for someone to do, but I mis-clicked one of the buttons while editing the orbit of Kerbin... and made it orbit the Mun.

Obviously it crashed the game...

Perhaps a simple if() to check that you're not trying to make a planet orbit its moon/itself?

Other than that, this is a very very cool mod.

It also made me realise that Kerbin's atmosphere gave it some form of light at night, I removed it and it was pitch black ._.

Making the interface more "user-friendly" in ways just like that is on my list of goals. When I create software, I like it to be absolutely fool-proof, exactly as you describe.

It is quite funny, however, that the request to have the mod auto-correct user mistakes comes from a Mac fan-boy. :confused: JUST KIDDING!! But seriously, Macs are for children.

I'd just like to say this mod is a go-to for me to do simulation runs of stuff in other planetary systems before the actual flight. Incredibly useful for development work and simulation-driven proofing. Thanks! :)

Yuuuuur welcome, even if I didn't create it. I'm glad to know it's helping.

Re-Add the bloody m-Y prefixes for the editors. I want to stab something not having them.

I'm sorry you miss them. Perhaps you could elaborate on how you used them and why they're important to you? I haven't heard any arguments in favor of them from anyone yet. Maybe there's a way to implement them in a way that works better than it did, and still fits your needs.

Sorry if it had been asked before, what is the format for setting time with this mod??? I'm currently just blind guessing + try n error to get my desired time of the day...

Thank you.

Not at all. That's actually a very good question that I didn't know the answer to yet, so I did some checking and this is what I learned. I could be wrong about some of this, but I'm pretty sure of it.

What HyperEdit is setting, "Universal Time", is the cumulative number of in-game seconds since the current KSP saved game file was originally started. The number just keeps rising the longer you play that save.

https://github.com/Anatid/XML-Documentation-for-the-KSP-API/blob/master/Planetarium.cs

A full Kerbin day is 6 hours long, or 21600 seconds, and a year is 9203545.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin

The current Year, Day, Hour and Minute of a save can be seen in KSP's "Continue Saved Game" menu, and the exact UT value is in the "persistent.sfs" file. Making note of the current time before loading the save is an easy way to keep track.

You need to calculate the number of seconds since you started that save, and then add/subtract to that in order to achieve the desired change to the current day and time. If I'm not mistaken, that's:

(Years * 9203545) + (Days * 21600) + (Hours * 3600) + (Minutes * 60).

WARNING, it's best to move forward in time rather than backwards, especially if you're just trying to make it daytime for a launch. :wink: I've discovered that if you set a time to the past during an active flight, the MET clock and the UT clock get out of sync, causing the MET clock to count backwards and preventing some ship controls, like toggling SAS from working - making it un-fly-able. To correct the problem, set the time to a point after the launch of the current flight. If your MET clock is going backwards (I think it's actually just failing to show the negative sign), then you need to go... back to the future.

This is something I think HyperEdit should present a lot better, and I'll add it to my list. I'd like to see a window showing the current days, hours, minutes and seconds, as well as any changes that have been made, in a calendar/clock format for ease of use.

Could someone please check all my information and work here? The chances of me getting all this right seem slim.

I hope this helps!

I'm sorry you miss them. Perhaps you could elaborate on how you used them and why they're important to you? I haven't heard any arguments in favor of them from anyone yet. Maybe there's a way to implement them in a way that works better than it did, and still fits your needs.

Disable the automatic printing of suffixes (as in if you have a number 10000 and you want to display it, print out 10000 and not 10k).

However, still allow the user to use suffixes when *entering* numbers.

This is really simple to do in the codebase, just replace all calls to double.TryParse/double.Parse to [yourclasshere].TryParse, where yourclasshere is similar to the class I wrote back when I was in charge, I think it was called something like SiSuffixes or SiUnits or something like that.

Just don't call the SiSuffixes toString method, ever! ('cause it seems like you really don't like that)

Disable the automatic printing of suffixes (as in if you have a number 10000 and you want to display it, print out 10000 and not 10k).

This is really simple to do in the codebase, just replace all calls to double.TryParse/double.Parse to [yourclasshere].TryParse, where yourclasshere is similar to the class I wrote back when I was in charge, I think it was called something like SiSuffixes or SiUnits or something like that.

Just don't call the SiSuffixes toString method, ever! ('cause it seems like you really don't like that)

Excellent idea, and I think I understand how to do it. I'll try to get an update out for that in the next couple of days. Thanks!

Oh whhaaaoooo, that's a very detailed reply!!!!! thanks a lot. Orz ===> lots of reading ahead :D

Not at all. That's actually a very good question that I didn't know the answer to yet, so I did some checking and this is what I learned. I could be wrong about some of this, but I'm pretty sure of it.

What HyperEdit is setting, "Universal Time", is the cumulative number of in-game seconds since the current KSP saved game file was originally started. The number just keeps rising the longer you play that save.

https://github.com/Anatid/XML-Documentation-for-the-KSP-API/blob/master/Planetarium.cs

A full Kerbin day is 6 hours long, or 21600 seconds, and a year is 9203545.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin

The current Year, Day, Hour and Minute of a save can be seen in KSP's "Continue Saved Game" menu, and the exact UT value is in the "persistent.sfs" file. Making note of the current time before loading the save is an easy way to keep track.

You need to calculate the number of seconds since you started that save, and then add/subtract to that in order to achieve the desired change to the current day and time. If I'm not mistaken, that's:

(Years * 9203545) + (Days * 21600) + (Hours * 3600) + (Minutes * 60).

WARNING, it's best to move forward in time rather than backwards, especially if you're just trying to make it daytime for a launch. :wink: I've discovered that if you set a time to the past during an active flight, the MET clock and the UT clock get out of sync, causing the MET clock to count backwards and preventing some ship controls, like toggling SAS from working - making it un-fly-able. To correct the problem, set the time to a point after the launch of the current flight. If your MET clock is going backwards (I think it's actually just failing to show the negative sign), then you need to go... back to the future.

This is something I think HyperEdit should present a lot better, and I'll add it to my list. I'd like to see a window showing the current days, hours, minutes and seconds, as well as any changes that have been made, in a calendar/clock format for ease of use.

Could someone please check all my information and work here? The chances of me getting all this right seem slim.

I hope this helps!

I've applied The Creator's suggested changes, and the results seem to work fine. Users can now either use Si metric multipliers or not, the system can deal. In most cases, numbers will be displayed without them, unless the user has added one to it already. The plan is to make this more intuitive, eventually.

The new updated version, HyperEdit 1.2.4.2 for KSP 0.21.1, is now available on our Downloads page. As always, please test it for bugs, and report any you find - thanks!

Thanks to kypheria for the suggestion!

I've applied The Creator's suggested changes, and the results seem to work fine. Users can now either use Si metric multipliers or not, the system can deal. In most cases, numbers will be displayed without them, unless the user has added one to it already. The plan is to make this more intuitive, eventually.

The new updated version, HyperEdit 1.2.4.2 for KSP 0.21.1, is now available on our Downloads page. As always, please test it for bugs, and report any you find - thanks!

Thanks to kypheria for the suggestion!

Thx! It is really handy! ^_^

Anyone else having problems downloading KSP v0.22? I'm getting about 20-kilobits per second on average. At this rate, it'll be tomorrow. [cry-baby-face]

If anyone asks me when the next HyperEdit update is coming, they'd better include an updated copy of KSP. :P

Question:

Does anyone know how many copies of KSP have been sold so far?

Edited by Ezriilc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.