What is the future of energy?

Kerbface

I think solar. It's the only energy source that is plentiful enough and easy to obtain to support multistellar civilisations. Antimatter's all well and good, but you haver to either find a large depost of natural antimatter or put in mjore energy that you get back.

"The future" is a little ambiguous so I've broken it down into powers of 10.

1 year from now: Fossil fuels 80%, Organic renewables 12%, Non-organic renewables 5%, Nuclear 3%

10 years from now: Fossil fuels 79%, Organic renewables 12%, Non-organic renewables 6%, Nuclear 3%

100 years from now: Fossil fuels 66%, Organic renewables 16%, Non-organic renewables 10%, Nuclear 8%

1000 years from now: Fossil fuels 15%, Organic renewables 35%, Non-organic renewables 25%, Nuclear 25%

10000 years from now: Fossil fuels 1%, Organic renewables 45%, Non-organic renewables 49%, Nuclear 5%

100000 years from now: Fossil fuels 0%, Organic renewables 10%, Non-organic renewables 90%, Nuclear 1%

Fossil fuels includes: Oil, coal, and natural gas.

Organic renewables includes: Corn ethanol, burning biomass such as wood, and any genetically engineered organisms that produce fuel or electricity from light.

Non-organic renewables includes: Solar, geothermal, hydroelectric, tidal, wind, and any exotic astronomical forces our descendants may discover.

Nuclear includes: fission of Uranium-238, Plutonium 239, Thorium 232, and the Fusion of Hydrogen-2 or 3 into Helium.

Edited by nhnifong

Most definitely fusion! Nuclear fusion is the only reliable, renewable and non polluting energy source currently within our level of technology.

Fossil fuel will eventually run out and is polluting.

Wind/solar are clean and renewable but unreliable. No wind/sun = no power.

Nuclear fission is reliable but leaves nasty long lasting radiation.

Antimatter is sci-fi. Yes, in theory it IS possible but antimatter is extremely rare. (Plus it has the nasty habit of exploding uncontrollably when it comes into contact with regular matter.)

Nuclear fusion does not explode (and if a reactor does fail pressure and heat escapes stopping the reaction instantly), leaves no radiation, reliable and nearly impossible to exhaust. (A single bathtub of seawater holds enough deuterium to supply an average person with more energy than they will use in their whole life.)

Don't expect a fusion reactor under the hood of your car/plane. Personal vehicles will most likely be powered by hydrogen fuel-cells. But the energy to make that hydrogen will be from fusion.

Today to the far future: Fossil Fuels.

Then, further into the future: Last remaining Fossil Fuels.

Then, immediately following that: Horse and Chariot.

There is more truth in this post than meets the eye.

There is more truth in this post than meets the eye.

Don't know who said it but it reminds me of; The third world war will be fought with atom bombs, the fourth with spears and arrows.

Well I'll be boring and go with, over the next century or so, the development of LFTR and some form of fusion as baseload power sources, which could then in turn be used to crack hydrogen for fuel cells for automotive requirements etc.

The fun, sci-fi prediction [i.e. yes I know these are ridiculous] is, at some unknown point (pending substances that, while not ruled out by our current understanding of physics, we have no evidence for) the capture / creation of black holes and the extraction of energy via:

i) hawking radiation (for masses small enough that this power rating be useful, I'm not too sure on this theory, presumably as the BH decays you get 100% of matter in as energy out) and/or

ii) for larger black holes, capture of energy from the accretion disk of a spinning black hole (50% mass -> energy conversion)

Then the use of these sources for the production of antimatter batteries, because, as if plonking black holes all over didn't sound worrying enough, why not put antimatter in everything as well?

Don't know who said it but it reminds me of; The third world war will be fought with atom bombs, the fourth with spears and arrows.

Albert Einstein. "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

Personal vehicles will most likely be powered by hydrogen fuel-cells. But the energy to make that hydrogen will be from fusion.

I'm sceptical about the use of Hydrogen as a future fuel, I don't think it'll ever move past a gimmick. It's such an unpleasant gas to work with; it requires a huge amount of energy to compress it into liquid and takes a very heavy container to keep it compressed, making it inefficient to transport. Unless we perfect ultra-strong lightweight materials such as carbon nanotubes, or are somehow able to make metallic hydrogen easily then I don't see it going far. Synthesising hydrocarbons or alcohols from CO2 or waste is more likely the future.

All of the innovations posted here will be possible, unless

suddenly happens somewhere in-between.
Nuclear fusion. Because the thing I want most is a sun in the back of my car.

Well how about a car that doesn't need refueling for the next decade... :D

10000 years from now: Fossil fuels 1%, Organic renewables 45%, Non-organic renewables 49%, Nuclear 5%

I don't think that we will burn all the thorium and uranium and deuterium from seawater that fast... Unless of course it is going to be spent on an huge armada of spaceships. In that case the 10000 years row will look like

10000 years from now: Fossil fuels 0%, Organic renewables 0%, Non-organic renewables 100%, Nuclear 0%

where there is just one non-organic renewable - solar energy collected on low orbits around the star and converted to antimatter as the most efficient storage.

If we ever stop using fossil fuels before it's too late, I think (if fusion is not yet ready) we will use fission. Fusion after that for a very long time, and once Humanity doesn't rely on planets anymore, it's gonna be some sort of use-a-stars-entire-energy solar collector deployed in every system that is colonized.

Wonder how you're gonna to to prevent, with your horses and chariots, all the rogue starving engineers from building small nuclear reactors in their backyards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.