[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Actually that's great. Does FAR still see that as covered? Are those parts considered to be under the fairing?

Should work. If it doesn't, play with the top radius and height a little until FAR realizes that it's connected to the capsule. I've been able to right-click a fairing in the VAB and see "partsShielded: ##", so I have some idea whether I've got it right (although you probably have to turn it on in the FAR debug menu.)

I've been trying to use this mod. It works in sandbox mode, but I can't use the parts in career mode even though I have unlocked the tech tree nodes which hold these parts. The Fairing sides are greyed out in the VAB saying I have to purchase them in the R&D. The fairing bases aren't showing up at all.

I've been trying to use this mod. It works in sandbox mode, but I can't use the parts in career mode even though I have unlocked the tech tree nodes which hold these parts. The Fairing sides are greyed out in the VAB saying I have to purchase them in the R&D. The fairing bases aren't showing up at all.

Open back up the Tech Tree in R&D. Are there any Green nodes with numbers in them? If you've added PF to an already started Career with nodes purchased already, you'll have to click on each of the items in the R&D and "enable" them for use in the VAB/SPH

density is what changes side fairing mass.

specificMass (a set of coefficients) is what change base/adapter mass.

Mind = Blown Oo

I was absolutely sure that was the first thing i tried, it's so obvious. Maybe i forgot to save or made some mistake when editing.

Whatever, thanks for the help.

Actually that's great. Does FAR still see that as covered? Are those parts considered to be under the fairing?

Yes, FAR uses side fairing models to compute the shielding.

e-dog, is there a reason you don't have the .version file so that KSP-AVC can keep a track of updates? I've found it very useful with the few mods I use that support it.

KSP-AVC thread

I didn't know about that, I'll look into it.

They should be in Flight Control node, with Stayputnik core. "Purchase" them in the tech tree, the number on the node doesn't always show up for some reason.

If it doesn't help, make sure you have the latest mod version (and KSP version) and send me the saved game files.

The interstage adapter in a fresh install of .24.2 won't decouple. It gives me a decoupler icon, but it just stick to the bottom of the engine anyway. I notice when I use it in a modded version of .24.2 that the tweakable ejection force is locked at 0.

Never did, never will. The way it actually decouples is when you decouple the fairings. The interstage adapter is for "fairing-supported" payloads, like how the Apollo CSM was suspended over the LM, held aloft by the SLA panels.

The interstage adapter in a fresh install of .24.2 won't decouple. It gives me a decoupler icon, but it just stick to the bottom of the engine anyway. I notice when I use it in a modded version of .24.2 that the tweakable ejection force is locked at 0.

The intention is for you to put your own decoupler there. I think there's a blank decoupler module so that MechJeb will recognize that there is a stage there but that's all. That's why there's an icon.

(of course, you could always edit the part and change it to a real decoupler.... I did:P)

Hi E-dog :) Firstly, been using the mod for quite some time and I really like it, aesthetically and in function (as I use FAR), and it is a great addition to the modlist.

Got a bit of a strange occurance happening with the most recent version, 3.08, with KSP .24.2. (x64). I've done my best with testing, troubleshooting and searching for help in this thread, and nows the time to ask for help! ^^;

As many of the mods out there are showcasing updates compatable with the newest version of KSP I thought I'd update my build from my mod stable .23.5 to a fresh .24.2 install. Whilst debugging and otherwise testing that everything was working I stumbled upon an oddity where PF Conic and Egg Fairings (under Aero, not the structral versions) do not like to decouple if the craft is at any angle other than straight up!

Now, the craft itself is a stereotypical Apollo-esque affair, appearance and functionality only increased with the recent KW Rocketry update, which I had a little toy with in .23.5 before updating fully. The CSM sits on the LM, which is hidden inside the PF Conic Fairings, and the LM is "docked" at the engine to a Clamp-O-Tron Snr which sits on the PF Interstage Fairing Adapter. The adapter is expanded to 3.75m and this is where the fairings are connected in x2 symmetry.

As of .23.5, the seperation and translation of the CSM would occur once the burn to the Mun or Minmus had been completed. The fairings would fire via an action group, the CSM would undock, turnaround, redock with the LM, and the LM's engine would then undock from the Clamp Snr. The fairings would work as expected and there were no niggles at all with the process.

As of .24.2, no matter which fairings are used, whatever angle of pitch or roll I am at, the fairings seem to have little to no ejection force and sort of flop off, perform a bottom to top headstand and, with a bit of rolling to help matters, they eventually peel away. At first I thought it was something that was just happening in vacuum as they seem to work fine on the launch pad. However, after launching straight up to 70,000m (as opposed to using a gravity turn), and hitting my action group they seperated fine, no problem.

As stated I've done my best to troubleshoot this myself, using the "Decoupler for x64" fix (which, I later learned, had no effect on PF), using the .24.1 fix stated a few pages back in this forum, changing the ejection forces, swapping the parts out for "fresh" ones, re-downloading and installing the mod, creating new installs of my build, none of which has had any success. The craft itself is the same as was created in 23.5, using the newest KW pack as stated earlier, and has remained unchanged. No mods relating to the rocket had any update issues and I cannot find anything in the debug log relating to a possible problem with PF.

So, in essence, this has me stumped! Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to get all the relevant or otherwise useful info in there. Thankyou so much for taking your time to read my post and cheers for any reply you may offer! :)

Edited by Lei07

The decoupler is for the topmost floating node only, not for the nodes on the part itself. It's only there so delta-v calculators like MechJeb and KER won't get confused with its function.

It's designed to be decoupled when you eject side fairings that "support" the part at the floating node.

Solar panels do NOT deploy through fairings; I've had cases where I was using a fairing and it somehow got "hung up" on something on jettison and was sticking to the vehicle; the only way I could kick it off of the spacecraft during the boost phase was to deploy the solar array underneath it to push it out and away.

Help? I'm not seeing the tweakable size controls. 3.08 was working for me. I don't recall any new mod I've added. Maybe a couple other mods updated is all.

edit: Might be a compatibility issue with KSAPIExtensions and TweakableScale? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234-24-2-TweakScale-Rescale-Everything!-(v1-33-2014-07-28-20-00-UTC)/page43

edit #2: It's a compatibility issue between other plugins with KSAPIExtensions. I had to remove: Infernal Robotics, Near Future Propulsion. I don't know if all or just one are responsible.

925BB653B48F0639CE91ADCC5D23184C047A8C97

Edited by mrBlaQ

Help? I'm not seeing the tweakable size controls. 3.08 was working for me. I don't recall any new mod I've added. Maybe a couple other mods updated is all.

edit: Might be a compatibility issue with KSAPIExtensions and TweakableScale? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234-24-2-TweakScale-Rescale-Everything!-(v1-33-2014-07-28-20-00-UTC)/page43

edit #2: It's a compatibility issue between other plugins with KSAPIExtensions. I had to remove: Infernal Robotics, Near Future Propulsion. I don't know if all or just one are responsible.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/23960773134902663/925BB653B48F0639CE91ADCC5D23184C047A8C97/

At least you get that much in the right-click menu. I don't get anything at the moment... :S

For some reason I'm only given 0.625m fairing bases, with only one side node, and I can't right-click on the fairing base to change anything...

Edited by DavidHunter

For some reason I'm only given 0.625m fairing bases, with only one side node, and I can't right-click on the fairing base to change anything...

That means PF DLL was not loaded or crashed, check error log. Most likely it's KAE conflict or wrong KSP/PF version.

On interstage fairings, would it be possible to make the lower part of the fairing fit more smoothy if there is no payload? As it is now, if there is an interstage fairing base with no payload, and the fairing's top radius is larger than the base radius, the bottom of the fairing will immediately "shoot" out to the larger radius making it look weird.

I'm using interstage fairings like this to guard the bottom part of my CSM, and like it is now, unless I have a dummy payload, it looks silly.

KcXiWP.png

Dl7AGc.png

Edit: I want to be able to take out the payload and the fairing to stay the same. I know I can use the locked feature for this, but I don't see why it should change when the payload disappears.

Edit: I want to be able to take out the payload and the fairing to stay the same. I know I can use the locked feature for this, but I don't see why it should change when the payload disappears.

The fairing won't change if you have "locked" the shape.

edit: can't see your "Good" screenshot, maybe make a new upload :)

Edited by JayCheetah