[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Then you might be looking at a bug, such config should not have much problems(unless you throttle to 100% all the time and don't follow the velocity vector closely). However if you don't follow the velocity vector closely your rocket would just flip out of control. I guess you would have said so.

Are the parts inside the fairing listed as "Shielded = True"?

If not - you are looking at a bug.

However if they are, and they still fall out it may be a few things such as:

1. The antennas themselves have low breaking factor(or whatever the cfg modifier for this is called), and they just snap off.

2. The atmospheric failure does not necessarily mean drag issues, in 90% of the cases these failures that Ferram introduced just mean you are doing too harsh maneuvers, such as increasing the AoA to more than 10 degrees rapidly, or making other rapid course corrections.

Try to launch the rocket straight up(0 deg heading), and start turning once you are above 60 km. If your antennas still fall out then - the problem is likely to be something related to breaking force or attachment nodes of the antennas themselves, not FAR or PF.

Yes, I'm playing this career game with quickload/revert disabled, so I'm extreeeeemely careful with my ascent. I launched this fatass on a 500km orbit to avoid a tight gravity turn and spending too much time in atmo.

I will run some tests along those you suggested and will come back with the results.

IMO it's unlikely related to RT2 only, since I have the exact same issue with the radialy mounted parts of TAC life Support, although it can always be a coincidence.

Edit: could Deadly Rentry be involved ? I set it on hard mode (shockwaveExponent 1.12, RSS shields), but I didn't think of it until now.

When I updated to 24.1, the program itself told me that both MechJeb and KSPAPIExtensions were not compatable. MechJeb is updated, will the KSPAPIExtensions file be updated or will i have to lose the lovely Procedural Fairings? :(;.;:rolleyes:

When I updated to 24.1, the program itself told me that both MechJeb and KSPAPIExtensions were not compatable. MechJeb is updated, will the KSPAPIExtensions file be updated or will i have to lose the lovely Procedural Fairings? :(;.;:rolleyes:

If you knew how to search on your own you would have discovered THIS.

You can replace the file itself...OR be more patient than waiting 15 hours after the .24.1 update before you whine that PF hasn't been updated yet with the already updated KSPAPIExtensions.

Thanks Smunisto for taking the time to help :)

This is the ship, and this is the top payload. As you can see it's not overpowered (I adapt the throttle in flight to never exceed 2Gs), the launch went smoothly, no wobling, no atmospheric effects, but when I jettisoned the fairings at ~80km I noticed the dishes had fallen off. The flight log said the atmospheric pressure had the attachment fail.

After some research, I think I have found several ways to correct this, mostly by putting the dishes in an in-line fairing under a tank or something, but I'd like to know if there's a way to protect parts inside the fairings from atmospheric stress (as it should be).

Just a guess. I have heard the workaround has to do with the launch clamps (which I see you using)... but I would suggest (just as a test) making a second stage with the clamps. So fire engines pause a second then release clamps. But that is just a guess. I haven't tracked through the FAR post for solutions but I have occasionally noticed the issue myself where my rockets are getting odd drag due to the contents of my fairings (like if I have a forward facing large dish antennae the rocket acts like it isn't behind the fairing even though it says it is shielded in the VAB)

Ok massive issue.

Just updated this mod and some the scaling of the base plates has stopped working.

Updated from what? And What Version of KSP Are you using? More details are needed, but if you can scale the Baseplates at all then you are not far along enough in the Tech Tree to unlock the larger sizes.

Thanks Smunisto for taking the time to help :)

This is the ship, and this is the top payload. As you can see it's not overpowered (I adapt the throttle in flight to never exceed 2Gs), the launch went smoothly, no wobling, no atmospheric effects, but when I jettisoned the fairings at ~80km I noticed the dishes had fallen off. The flight log said the atmospheric pressure had the attachment fail.

After some research, I think I have found several ways to correct this, mostly by putting the dishes in an in-line fairing under a tank or something, but I'd like to know if there's a way to protect parts inside the fairings from atmospheric stress (as it should be).

I suppose you use FAR? Enable shielding display in its debug options (in KSC screen), and check whether the dishes are considered shielded by FAR.

Updated from what? And What Version of KSP Are you using? More details are needed, but if you can scale the Baseplates at all then you are not far along enough in the Tech Tree to unlock the larger sizes.

Version in use 0.24

Updated the mod today to get the updated KSPAPIExtensions.dll.

Its not a tec issue as using the same saved game as yesterday when I could scale the base plates up to 5m.

Though it was be conflict with the tweakscale mod removed that and it crashes the VAB when I click the procedural fairing parts.

If you knew how to search on your own you would have discovered THIS.

You can replace the file itself...OR be more patient than waiting 15 hours after the .24.1 update before you whine that PF hasn't been updated yet with the already updated KSPAPIExtensions.

Even with the updated KSPAPIExtensions the tweakables for the fairings bases aren't showing up, so this issue may be more than just KAE. You could have been a bit nicer to this guy. All the other procedural mods are up to date, so I can understand this guy asking about procedural fairings.

EDIT: Okay nevermind. Procfairings seems to have magically repaired itself.

Edited by Phazon8058

Updated to 3.07:

• Added procedural costs for PF parts, KSP 0.24.1 is required.
  • Added workaround for Win64 decoupler bug.
  • Made "removed" node markers much less visible (they are still somewhere 10km from the VAB).
  • Updated KAE DLL.

Any way we could get the Win64 decoupler workaround for the .24.0 version, or does 3.07 work for .24.0? I ask because I have no plans on updating KSP until the next impending hotfix is out for the right click bug.

**Edit** Honestly nevermind, I will just wait for the hotfix and then the recompile of all the mods I use before I continue my Modded KSPing.

Thanks for the quick update! Looking forward to trying the 64-bit version of KSP, but stayed with the 32-bit on 0.24 because of the issues folks were reporting with the decouplers (and I HAVE to have my procedural fairings working, as it's one of very few 'must-have' mods for me!) Thanks again!

Maxwell Fern: RemoteTech antennas, other than the DP-10, must not be enabled during ascent. If you look at the part info window from the part list, it will say something like "will fail under aerodynamic stress" or "Max Q 2000" or something. That means, if you have the antenna/dish activated and your Q goes above 2000, the antenna will break. Right now shielding does not avoid this. This is why you must use one of the few antennae that don't fail from dynamic pressure during ascent; once you're out of the atmosphere you can enable the rest.

Not sure if that's the case... I just tested it and it does have a pretty puny decoupling force, but if you look at the part description in the VAB it says it has a ejection force of just 100. If you look at the other, smaller decouplers they are a lot more powerful - for example, the 1.25M decouplers have an ejection force of 250 and the 2M decoupler's force is 600. I suspect they goofed on the part and it was supposed to have an ejection force of 1000. If that's the case, it should be pretty trivial to patch with a MM script.

I know it says the ejection force is only 100 but this was also the listed value in 0.23.5. Take any simple SLS mockup and test it between version 0.23.5 and 0.24.1 and you will see a vast difference in performance. In 0.23.5 it can easily push the a Kerbodyne S3-14400 Tank and S3 KS-25x4 Engine Cluster away while in 0.24.1 it might as well draw a line between the two without any pushing power.

Hey, I seem to be getting the same problem as crazyewok: I can't find any way of resizing the fairing bases. I'm running in 0.24.0 (until I get round to updating all my mods…), and have made sure I have the most recent version, and the most recent version of KSPAPIExtension as well. I also tried running without TweakScale in case crazyewok's solution worked, but no luck.

Oh, and I tried in both a career save with Aerodynamics unlocked (so should have 3m option, right?), as well as a sandbox game (so should have everything). Again, no luck.

Am I misunderstanding? The resize option should appear on the right-click tweakables menu in the VAB, right? Last time I used this mod, it was still the old 'hold R and drag' deal - that's obsolete now.. yes?

Yes, the resize option should appear in tweakables. If it doesn't, something is wrong with code, PF or KAE.

The latest PF (3.07) would have trouble working in 0.24.0 since it uses the new interface for procedural costs. Use PF 3.06 or update to KSP 0.24.1.

Having an issue with 3.07 in .24.2. When using no other KSPAPI mods, it seems to run fine, but when I run other mods that are using the latest version of KSPAPI, Procedural Fairings breaks. As always, I really appreciate all your work on this mod!