[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Can't load craft files in VAB or SPH in career mode. Vessels will load in sandbox. I tried enabling the deprecated parts by changing their category from -1 to Utility but still couldn't load the vessels and in fact didn't see the parts listed in any node in the tech tree.

Did you set the TechRequired values in the config?

He doesn't download all the parts only the 1.25m parts!!!!!!

Welkom op het forum! Tip: zoveel uitroeptekens zijn niet echt nodig :wink: Have your read the OP? You can rescale the parts with a right click.

e-dog I know kosmos is not your gig but it has its own version of fairing bases and fairings that depends on PF 2.4.4 (so it's looking for stuff in a karamzit folder).

Do you know if there is a way I can get kosmos and the PF 3.0.3 to play together? I really have become dependent on a lot of the kosmos parts and I also have PF as one of my "can't live without" mods. Having to chose one or the other would suck.

Btw please look at the parabolic fairing and the low profile fairing bases in kosmos. I really prefer them over the stock PF ones.

-TY

Do you know if there is a way I can get kosmos and the PF 3.0.3 to play together?

It looks like it went down with the Spaceport. Where can I download it?

e-dog I know kosmos is not your gig but it has its own version of fairing bases and fairings that depends on PF 2.4.4 (so it's looking for stuff in a karamzit folder).

Do you know if there is a way I can get kosmos and the PF 3.0.3 to play together? I really have become dependent on a lot of the kosmos parts and I also have PF as one of my "can't live without" mods. Having to chose one or the other would suck.

Btw please look at the parabolic fairing and the low profile fairing bases in kosmos. I really prefer them over the stock PF ones.

-TY

That exactly is the symptom of your problem? Do you get error messages? Does KSP fail to load? Does KSP refuse to load craft designs into the VAB? Do craft in flight cause errors or break?

That sort of info is what people need to be able to help you. If you read the stickies in the Support and Bugs forum that will give you the sort of info we need.

To paraphrase what you said: "they don't work together KOSMOS is looking for stuff in the Keramzit folder" isn't very detailed.

I don't really understand how the interstage fairings are supposed to work. What exactly is the adjustable node floating above the fairing supposed to attach to? Stuff I stick to it gets welded to the world upon launch, but the fairings don't automatically size themselves unless I connect something to that node.

I thought it was supposed to be another interstage fairing pointing downwards, but that seems to be what causes it to get stuck.

Edited by Rulare

KOSMOS don't search anything in Keramzit\ folder. So it works good with all versions of PF after 2.4.4

Show me.

I have installed 3.0.2 and every single ship with kosmos fairings was greyed out. Kosmos procedural fairings uses the proc fairing dll and that was originally in the karamzit folder so please explain to me how kosmos is now to know that the proc fairing dll is now in the procfairing folder?

I don't really understand how the interstage fairings are supposed to work. What exactly is the adjustable node floating above the fairing supposed to attach to? Stuff I stick to it gets welded to the world upon launch, but the fairings don't automatically size themselves unless I connect something to that node.

I thought it was supposed to be another interstage fairing pointing downwards, but that seems to be what causes it to get stuck.

Look at the Saturn V as an example:

If the Saturn V were to be built in KSP, you would have the interstage adapter sitting atop the third stage fuel stack. The lunar lander would be connected to stack node (non-moving) on the upper surface. Actually with a decoupler between them, unless you are like me and you hacked your interstage adapter to have a decoupler on that node.

The Apollo vehicle would be connected to the floating node by its engine's lower stack attachment node. Then you would put the fairings on.

In space, when it is time to dock the Apollo and lunar lander together, you would jettison those fairings, which would cause the Apollo to decouple from the floating node. Then you would dock to the Lunar lander and then decouple that from the third stage.

It looks like it went down with the Spaceport. Where can I download it?

thanks e-dog it's at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24970-0-21-Kosmos-Spacecraft-Design-Bureau-Updated-(9-27-13).

please load it up and take a look at the thinner fairing bases (and I like the golden orange color too) and the fairing bases have built in decouplers and I really like the parabolic fairing it would be nice to add that shape to the PF mod.

As for decoupler the best of both worlds would be to add a context switch to toggle decoupler function on/off.

Again really appreciate you taking a look into it as PF and KOSMOS are really two of my can't live without mods.

cheers,

Rick

Show me.

I have installed 3.0.2 and every single ship with kosmos fairings was greyed out. Kosmos procedural fairings uses the proc fairing dll and that was originally in the karamzit folder so please explain to me how kosmos is now to know that the proc fairing dll is now in the procfairing folder?

???? Is this still an issue ????

Edit the fairing's config file (probably named part.cfg; I don't currently have it installed so I'm trying to go off memory)

There should be a MODEL node in there with a line pointing to the mesh file. (it will say model =). That's what says 'this part's mesh lives in that folder'

There might also be a texture declaration that works similarly, but probably not.

Edit: I visited the thread you said it was linked at but I don't see any functioning download links and I don't have it on this machine. (ironically it's sitting on a hard drive 1.5 feet from my right knee but I can't do anything with that right now)

If you make the fairing's part config files available to me I should be able to have it working in a minute.

Edited by Starwaster

Look at the Saturn V as an example:

If the Saturn V were to be built in KSP, you would have the interstage adapter sitting atop the third stage fuel stack. The lunar lander would be connected to stack node (non-moving) on the upper surface. Actually with a decoupler between them, unless you are like me and you hacked your interstage adapter to have a decoupler on that node.

The Apollo vehicle would be connected to the floating node by its engine's lower stack attachment node. Then you would put the fairings on.

In space, when it is time to dock the Apollo and lunar lander together, you would jettison those fairings, which would cause the Apollo to decouple from the floating node. Then you would dock to the Lunar lander and then decouple that from the third stage.

Okay, I think I might've got it. I goofed up thinking that there had to be another interstage fairing adapter attached to the floating node - I didn't realize that you could just stick just anything there. This makes a lot more sense! Thanks.

Okay, I think I might've got it. I goofed up thinking that there had to be another interstage fairing adapter attached to the floating node - I didn't realize that you could just stick just anything there. This makes a lot more sense! Thanks.

That was the old way of simulating interstages, before we got real interstages. Turn a normal fairing adapter upside down and on top of whatever you were attaching to the bottom fairing adapter. If that was an engine, turn on crossfeed and boom! ​you got yourself an interstage.

Show me.

You first. :wink:

Seriously, post here ship config (or picture, at least) with noticed problem, because I'm using KOSMOS fairings with latest PF and can't see any problems with that.

Version 3.0.3 looks like having a bug...

No matter how many nodes I set, there are only 2 nodes visible and game engine believes those two have 8x symmetry.

Update: The problem was with the old version of EditorExtensions.dll. With version 1.1 fairings work smoothly. :D

Edited by Dr. Jet

Version 3.0.3 looks like having a bug...

No matter how many nodes I set, there are only 2 nodes visible and game engine believes those two have 8x symmetry.

That's strange. On what part do you change the number of nodes?

Show me.

The KOSMOS parts request PF function in their .cfg. If you look at the .cfg, you will see

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralFairingSide

<various parameters>
}

KSP processes this request and looks up a list of the .dlls it has available. If there is no .dll then the part may not work, or some features may be missing. BUT:- KSP knows where the .dll is, regardless - KOSMOS neither knows, nor cares.

Obviously KSP can't find one or other part you used in the ships that aren't working; assuming that it is something to do with PF is reasonable, but not necessarily correct. The only sure way to work out which part: you have to show us the .craft file for one of your ships. You can either upload the .craft file to Dropbox or similar, or open it, copy all the text and paste it into a post. Then we can look through, provide a list of mods and check you are still using them all. You can find .craft files in KSP/saves/<game name, usually default>/ships/vab (or .../sph).

Get back to us once you have that .craft file text for us.

I have a suggestion. Could you add a way to cycle between textures? Procedural fuel tanks had this and I think your mod will benefit greatly from this. Having one texture as a one size fits all thing means for me means its only soso for everything.

In my case I use procedural fairings to try and replicate the curved shape of the side thrusters on the R7 rockets.

r7_family_1.jpg

but right now it stretches the textures out to ugly proportions. Maybe if one could cycle through textures or if there was simply three duplicates of the same part but each was skinned differently to favor short&wide/average/tall&thin shapes it would be more aesthetically pleasing.

There was at some point a cfg to change the nodes of ProcFairings - I think it fixed a problem with FAR, but I am not sure - is this still needed?

@PART[KzInterstageAdapter]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.23, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
@node_stack_top1 = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBase1_25]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBase2_5]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.15, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBase3_75]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.725, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBase5]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.4, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBaseRing1_25]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.23, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBaseRing2_5]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.46, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBaseRing3_75]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.69, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}
@PART[KzProcFairingBaseRing5]
{
@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.96, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
}

Cosmos is fairly old by now... They seem do not want to upload the old version to Curse (or anywhere else).

Has someone a version I can download?

My version is veeeery old (I am interested in the procedural fairing parts in that mod)

Cosmos is fairly old by now... They seem do not want to upload the old version to Curse (or anywhere else).

Has someone a version I can download?

My version is veeeery old (I am interested in the procedural fairing parts in that mod)

Someone posted a download link in the Kosmos thread today.

I have a suggestion. Could you add a way to cycle between textures? Procedural fuel tanks had this and I think your mod will benefit greatly from this. Having one texture as a one size fits all thing means for me means its only soso for everything.

That's planned for later.

In my case I use procedural fairings to try and replicate the curved shape of the side thrusters on the R7 rockets.

You can probably do that with conic tanks from PP if you tilt them. I don't see how PF would help with that anyway.

There was at some point a cfg to change the nodes of ProcFairings - I think it fixed a problem with FAR, but I am not sure - is this still needed?

No, it's already in cfgs for old parts, and new ones resize nodes properly.