[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

has anyone tried Firespitter's texture switcher? There's no reason I can think of why that wouldnt work.

I tried fiddling around with it a bit, but haven't had any success. FStextureswitcher requires the sub-object in the model itself to be named explicitly, and since there are duplicate object names used when listing the debug's 'list objects' it doesn't seem to work with the way the current fairing models are setup.

I can switch the fairing shape as well as textures, that's planned for future updates.

Dear God man, why must you torture us so? :)

I would like to know if im doing something wrong. I downloaded the last edition of the mod 0.3.1 something. I put my base fairing somewhere and than put the side fairing shape, cone generate itself and than i am ready to launch. My problem is that i cant eject the fairings, so im stuck with a sealed. Than i tried a decoupler over the base fairing, didnt worked. help?

My problem is that i cant eject the fairings, so im stuck with a sealed.

Make sure you use side fairings from Aerodynamics tab, those from Structural are fuselage ones without decoupler, people use them to build fuselages, hide batteries and stuff etc.

how difficult would it be for you to recompile this mod with the latest API extension version? I am having to choose between this mod and the part-scaling mod due to different API extension versions causing game-breaking errors.

Updated to 3.02, it's mostly bug fixing:

• Updated KSPAPIExtensions, should work with Procedural Parts now.
  • A bit less restrictive tech, allowing sizes a bit larger and smaller than stock ones.
  • Trying to avoid moving attached parts after loading design or saved game.
  • Fixed wrong size of newly added side nodes.

Since version 3 when I jettison fairings they rotate around their bottom, before they jettisoned parallel, is this as it should be?

You can adjust ejection torque in tweakables as you wish.

You can adjust ejection torque in tweakables as you wish.

Ahhh! I see, it was also in the changes log but I thought torque must be something relate to things that rotate, thanks I'll try that

Hi!

I'm loving the 3.x updates, it's a joy to use. The planned decoupler with shroud will be perfect with the thrust plate, although the interstage plate with fuselage sides is good enough for now.

I encountered one small issue:

Setting the number of fairing nodes to 1 produces a nice one-piece fairing, but it has an off-center Center of Mass. It's not a big problem, you can always use more nodes, but if the option to use 1 node is there, it would be nice to have it usable.

Hi!

I'm loving the 3.x updates, it's a joy to use. The planned decoupler with shroud will be perfect with the thrust plate, although the interstage plate with fuselage sides is good enough for now.

Setting the number of fairing nodes to 1 produces a nice one-piece fairing, but it has an off-center Center of Mass. It's not a big problem, you can always use more nodes, but if the option to use 1 node is there, it would be nice to have it usable.

The CoM & collision mesh is also centered underneath the single node point also. I modified mine to be surface attachable so I could attach cameras and whatnot to them, and found this out.

I would like to say that the multi-adapter is super nifty. I used it as a 3.75m to 6x1.25m stack coupler to produce this monster of an orbital survey vehicle (6 targets, high and low orbit- did a full sweep of the Jool system in one mission)

qRqUd8Y.png?1

(if you're wondering about the crown-of-thorns, well, in testing we had some issues with the return module tipping over if the landing surface wasn't flat and smashing up the science modules, so I stuck a bunch of lander legs on top of the lander can as extendable roll-bars, which actually worked fairly well)

Keep up the good work.

Edited by ArcFurnace

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.. But I can't get the sides to attach properly. There seems to be only one node on the side of the base. I can add one, but if I hit X, it tries to attach 8 onto that one node, which doesn't work. Uhh. Help?

Sounds like perhaps something isn't installed correctly on your end. All of the PFairings bases should give you several options, from adding and removing fairing nodes, to the size of the base and fairings themselves.

Is or was there ever the ability to attach struts or truss segments to the fairings?

I have a 64t sat that would need some more stability inside the fairings.

Hi!

The CoM & collision mesh is also centered underneath the single node point also. I modified mine to be surface attachable so I could attach cameras and whatnot to them, and found this out.

What you want will be done by procedural nose cone. It'll be hollow with movable nodes so you could put it over crew pod for example.

The side fairing was never intended to work that way, but I left it for now because it doesn't crash or anything. I'll limit the minimum number of nodes to 2 later.

...all I get if I right click is a little dialog that says "isShielded: False".

Are there any mod conflicts? FAR perhaps?

It should work okay with FAR. It looks like PF DLL doesn't load (or crashes) for some reason. Check that it's installed properly. I need output_log.txt from KSP_Data folder to tell you any more specifics.

Is or was there ever the ability to attach struts or truss segments to the fairings?

I have a 64t sat that would need some more stability inside the fairings.

It's possible, but usually causes issues with fairing ejection. It's better to strut your payload to fairing base or parts below it.

...all I get if I right click is a little dialog that says "isShielded: False".

Are there any mod conflicts? FAR perhaps?

In particular, make sure that your folder tree goes:

• GameData
    • ... <other folders>
    • ProceduralFairings
      • KSPAPIExtensions.dll
      • ProceduralFairings.dll

If you have changed any folder name, or put the new ProceduralFairings folder in the old folder that used to contain ProceduralFairings (e-dog has eliminated that redundant folder level) then that will cause the .dlls to fail to operate.

I recently launched a thing with struts attached to the fairings with no problems at all. That said, the struts ran from the fairing to structural pylons set to decouple when the fairings did. It worked really well, though, so I recommend this technique to anyone who needs to launch a bunch of floppy stuff inside a fairing.

In particular, make sure that your folder tree goes:
  • GameData
    • ... <other folders>
    • ProceduralFairings
      • KSPAPIExtensions.dll
      • ProceduralFairings.dll

If you have changed any folder name, or put the new ProceduralFairings folder in the old folder that used to contain ProceduralFairings (e-dog has eliminated that redundant folder level) then that will cause the .dlls to fail to operate.

I am using the TweakScale mod, that has its own KSPAPIExtensions.dll (both yours and that are same version) on its folder.

So if i understand this right, should any mod that uses KSPAPI have its own seperate dll?

It should work okay with FAR. It looks like PF DLL doesn't load (or crashes) for some reason. Check that it's installed properly. I need output_log.txt from KSP_Data folder to tell you any more specifics.

I've figured out what the problem was. Another mod (can't remember which now) had a duplicate of the dll. That's likely to cause problems, right? So I deleted the duplicate. Should be right now (I hope).

Also found duplicates of another half a dozen .dll's. I really wish people wouldn't do that.