[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

have been fixing some bugs and do more tests, and working with several modeling guys.

And here's something to show :)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/HoneyFox_HF/screenshot108.png

Yes, i'm playing KSP with NathanKell's wonderful RSS and this platform is located at Lat 0, Lon 154W, same location as the "Ocean Odyssey" in RL.

HONEYFOX! YOU DID IT!!! ocean odyssey sea launch!!!! message me back about this...must assist

- - - Updated - - -

have been fixing some bugs and do more tests, and working with several modeling guys.

And here's something to show :)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/HoneyFox_HF/screenshot108.png

Yes, i'm playing KSP with NathanKell's wonderful RSS and this platform is located at Lat 0, Lon 154W, same location as the "Ocean Odyssey" in RL.

HONEYFOX! YOU DID IT!!! ocean odyssey sea launch!!!! message me back about this...must assist

Im wanting launchpads spawned with kerbtown to require resources to launch a ship using "extraplanetary launchpads" mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59545-0-23-5-Extraplanetary-Launchpads-v4-1

I think that won't work, just like the stock KSC's launch pad and runway, you don't need to provide any resources to build a rocket...

I have another (little) issue.

When I move a building on the body (Kerbin for now), camera have strange movements back and forth like an heartbeat at almost a constant frequency there is one big movement between 5 and 6 of them.

This weird behaviour persist when flying after set the building where we want. BUT fortunately, it's gone when restart KSP at least (thank to an out of memory crash which force me to restart).

Another issue:

All comments in top of file or anywhere else, before setting a location, will trashed and replaced by the default:

// Generated by KerbTown - Hubs' Electrical

+ all buildings files defined are always reparsed and stripped again this way.

Is there any way to change the loop (I guess) which do that, to care only of newly edited buildings and keep the old ones as they are (no need to check/modify/alter them).

Edited by Justin Kerbice
another issue added

I got another uncaugth exception on exit (but it doesn't mess up anything this time):

KerbTown: Removing script references ..

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KtCamera.RestoreCameraParent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KerbTown.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

KerbTown: Removing script references ..

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

NullReferenceException

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetTransform ()

at UnityEngine.Component.get_transform () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KtCamera.RestoreCameraParent () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KerbTown.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

And:

when updating a newly created building config file (so not yet put on the ground), reload all parts => makes UI do nothing when clicking on show existing/available buttons)

Another one:

playing with a building which has an issue, save to persistent file + session, change directory name where the object is located, start the game again and:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at Kerbtown.KerbTown.InstantiateStatic (.PQS celestialPQS, Kerbtown.StaticObject stObject, Boolean freshObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KerbTown.InstantiateStaticsFromSave () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Kerbtown.KerbTown.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)

UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)

AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)

AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)

AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

The plugin window don't show up anymore with ctrl+k. I can only choose a spawn point in SPH (and VAB surely, not tested).

Spawn on a KT made building lead to a strange issue: an Aeris 3 appears somewhere (0.0486 °S, 74.7230°W) at 1274m, full black aera, uncontrollable at all, with reentry flames and engine smoke with 0% throttle. camera is frozen too.

The map tells me the plane is inside the star, exiting map shows the camera moving up on Kerbin orbit without no vessel.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
add another crash

Just wanted to voice my support for the continuation of this great mod. For me and other guys who enjoy flying around Kerbin more than leaving the planet, these sort of additions make the game so much more compelling and awesome!

Honeyfox, I suggest creating a new thread if you took over development of kerbtown. This one is littered with clutter and confusion.

No I'm not planning to take over. I'm just fixing some "bugs" for it.

I got another uncaugth exception on exit (but it doesn't mess up anything this time):

And:

when updating a newly created building config file (so not yet put on the ground), reload all parts => makes UI do nothing when clicking on show existing/available buttons)

Another one:

playing with a building which has an issue, save to persistent file + session, change directory name where the object is located, start the game again and:

The plugin window don't show up anymore with ctrl+k. I can only choose a spawn point in SPH (and VAB surely, not tested).

Spawn on a KT made building lead to a strange issue: an Aeris 3 appears somewhere (0.0486 °S, 74.7230°W) at 1274m, full black aera, uncontrollable at all, with reentry flames and engine smoke with 0% throttle. camera is frozen too.

The map tells me the plane is inside the star, exiting map shows the camera moving up on Kerbin orbit without no vessel.

nah... KT will store the asset path in the cfg file so it will fail if you change the folder name... and after that, all kinds of strange bugs might easily happen ...

Is there any way to make it so you can launch from ksc 2 and the island airfield

by creating a runway for KSC2 + a dummy (maybe) launchpad and a dummy runway on island. Could be a funny idea.

nah... KT will store the asset path in the cfg file so it will fail if you change the folder name... and after that, all kinds of strange bugs might easily happen ...

Why do you think KSP itself spend a long time reloading everything each time ? Nothing is set for sure and it recompile each part, reload each textures. Just for some kind of such issue I guess.

Do you think adding a recursive search for assets (on demand/every time) could be done without too much trouble ?

Edited by Justin Kerbice

Is there any way to make it so you can launch from ksc 2 and the island airfield

Here it is:

XMyAXKM.png

early release, the launch spawn point is not exactly centered and a bit too high maybe.

download: http://www./download/mdzk15bx1glbymv/KSC2-launchpad_0.1.zip

To use it: clikc on kerbtown icon inside the VAB, and choose "KSC2_launchpad".

Enjoy.

Now that Kerbtown hath risen, You might be interested in the small runway, fuel pump and whale skeleton I made back in the day. Updated them to work with the new version.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22972712/FShousingProgram.zip

2j9jqk2l.png IyviAnil.jpg

Can't find a good image of the runway on file, but it's in the background here.

JhmjSqsm.png

Edited by Snjo

Snjo, is that fuel pump an infinite source or a reservoir, and if it is an infinite source, would it be possible for you to make it into a reservoir for mass resource storage at remote facilities without using large quantities of parts such as my mun base here, note up in the corner my FPS reader, 5.4 frames per second.

I have another (little) issue.

When I move a building on the body (Kerbin for now), camera have strange movements back and forth like an heartbeat at almost a constant frequency there is one big movement between 5 and 6 of them.

This weird behaviour persist when flying after set the building where we want. BUT fortunately, it's gone when restart KSP at least (thank to an out of memory crash which force me to restart).

Another issue:

All comments in top of file or anywhere else, before setting a location, will trashed and replaced by the default:

+ all buildings files defined are always reparsed and stripped again this way.

Is there any way to change the loop (I guess) which do that, to care only of newly edited buildings and keep the old ones as they are (no need to check/modify/alter them).

That's weird... I don't have any kind of heartbeat with the camera on my side. the building seems to be shaking a bit when placing it though...

For the comment line issue, I'll take a look.

But for checking if one instance is an old one or has been edited, that's kind of hard...

Can someone make a config to launch from the Island runway?

Check the post above... Snjo made some awesome assets for the island airfield. and I think that should make it possible to launch from island airfield too.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or is the Kerbtown download broken?

Check the post:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40374-WIP-KerbTown-v0-13-Beta-Place-static-buildings-cities-launch-sites-more%21?p=1052327&viewfull=1#post1052327

Check the post above... Snjo made some awesome assets for the island airfield. and I think that should make it possible to launch from island airfield too.

It doesn't- it makes a dirt runway available, but that's about it.

This spawn flag will allow you to place a spawn point anywhere, use the indicator to place it where you want, then sink the indicator slightly into the terrain so you don't see it; the spawned vessel will spawn in above the indicator and settle onto whatever terrain is present; I don't remember what direction you face though

http://www./download/vk7mv1xs2y98qkx/SpawnFlag.zip

(may need to be updated for compatability, see HoneyFox's posts for how to)

That's weird... I don't have any kind of heartbeat with the camera on my side. the building seems to be shaking a bit when placing it though...

For the comment line issue, I'll take a look.

But for checking if one instance is an old one or has been edited, that's kind of hard...

Maybe it could be related to graphics settings in game (I use half-res tex, poor quality shadows, ... I will give my config later just for you to check if it's relevant or not to this issue) or the gfx driver/hardware. Like the bad old serious lag I have with clouds/smoke in GTA3 for example with a nv 9600M GT.

For a new/old instance, the way might be to follow the workflow when using "create" button for available assets, here you can be sure it's a new instance, I guess. The tricky part is when an existing building is modified (never did that, but also there is a dedicated action for that).

I think also using the classic boolean flag for each building may help.

@snjo: you're quite nostalgic :), have you tried the IDiCEr1 mod (two "good old" internal combustion engines for planes, you have to be careful here with the speed to start the engine and keep it running)