[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

I made that same argument earlier about the collision meshes, lol. Oh well it seems no one can agree on what hinders performance an all I can say the game is still in alpha and nothing is very optimized but is getting better. I'm working from my higher poly meshes anyway (which really aren't very high poly). So I could eventually put those in game with very little effort on my part. Thanks for your input! And I'll be making sure the collision meshes are well optimized! :)

haha ill add it if you like it lol.

I'll second Mr. Pseudonym. That's a nice, flashy paint scheme. Much more exciting than those bland black-and-white jobs out there. Even if it's an alternate texture I have to place manually in the right directory, it'd be worth it.

I have the 2600 poly version in game right now, but the 200 poly version is all I need to project all the details onto from the high poly version. And what you mean not much more than 500, even KSP uses more in their stock parts. The LV-T30 uses atleast 1000 LV-T30_Liquid_Fuel_Engine_recent.png And I'm almost 100% sure people use more than one of those on their rockets. But as I said Ill be making low poly versions so people could enjoy them, but saying more than 500 is reserved for high end rigs is ridiculous since the game uses parts that are more than 500 polys.

500 polys and 500 triangles are two completely different things. The game uses triangles, so 500 polys translates to roughly 1000 triangles. I mean I can't speak for myself, but I've been able to load about 100k triangles in KSP no problem, but I have a high end system.

500 polys and 500 triangles are two completely different things. The game uses triangles, so 500 polys translates to roughly 1000 triangles. I mean I can't speak for myself, but I've been able to load about 100k triangles in KSP no problem, but I have a high end system.

I dont think anyone would have an issue rendering 100K tris you dont need a high end system to render that many on screen. And I know polys are converted over to tris for game engines. Im failing to see your point?

yeah I think you are right... i just checked bobcats and it isnt on the same stage. So ill probably seperate them which is not a big problem. Thanks for pointing that out!

I don't know how he did it, but cBBp has a method on his Dragon capsule where the engines will not fire unless activated, and don't show up in the staging sequence until you activate them from the right click menu. I'm 95% sure it doesn't rely on a plugin either.

EDIT: Ok so yeah I looked and because the Dragon is listed as a command pod, the staging doesn't show the rockets he has installed (which I also noticed are RCS powered) until they are activated. So I don't know that you could use that same method.

I think somewhere someone posted a pic of the Liberty Rocket, and I remember it, but here's a picture of it anyway.

I did some reading up on Liberty Rocket...cool concept. Ares I first stage 5-segment SRB with an Ariane Vulcain-powered second stage? Talk about multinational. Although I guess current plans now call for Orion to use an ATV-derived service module and that will probably be built by Astrium.

Edited by MainSailor

A polygon is "ANY" N sided face, including triangles, not just quadrilaterals, or quads.

When someone says poly count, they are referring to the number of triangles you have in your mesh, not quadrilaterals.

In game development terms when some one asks "What's your poly count?" they are not asking how many N sided faces you have. They want to know your triangle count. Since knowing how many quads or any other sided polygon would take some math to figure it out the triangle count, that isn't really that useful.

Sorry for the game development lesson side track.

Great models by the way...

A polygon is "ANY" N sided face, including triangles, not just quadrilaterals, or quads.

When someone says poly count, they are referring to the number of triangles you have in your mesh, not quadrilaterals.

In game development terms when some one asks "What's your poly count?" they are not asking how many N sided faces you have. They want to know your triangle count. Since knowing how many quads or any other sided polygon would take some math to figure it out the triangle count, that isn't really that useful.

Sorry for the game development lesson side track.

Great models by the way...

nothing wrong with a lil game development talk.

I don't know how he did it, but cBBp has a method on his Dragon capsule where the engines will not fire unless activated, and don't show up in the staging sequence until you activate them from the right click menu. I'm 95% sure it doesn't rely on a plugin either.

That's doable, but you wouldn't want that here. You need to stage the sep motors with the SRBs, while CBBP's Draco thrusters are action group activated. Using an action group for the SRB separation is clumsy. Not to mention you can't have SRB off the staging list, since it's also best activated by staging.

That's doable, but you wouldn't want that here. You need to stage the sep motors with the SRBs, while CBBP's Draco thrusters are action group activated. Using an action group for the SRB separation is clumsy. Not to mention you can't have SRB off the staging list, since it's also best activated by staging.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a way that Stevincent could include retro rockets on the SRB, but using that method you'd have to action group them. I don't think it's suitable either.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a way that Stevincent could include retro rockets on the SRB, but using that method you'd have to action group them. I don't think it's suitable either.

Well I just figured id make it separate and it seems to be working that way. Im trying to make a decoupler right now for the SRB and it doesnt seem to be importing into KSP at the right scale, right now its a too big, but its at the exact same scale as everything else in unity I dont know why its showing up in KSP as being bigger. Im going to try one more thing and Im just going to move on. Ive spent too much time wasting time on this decoupler.

A little angry right now, so I was going to post an issue I was having with a shroud decoupler where it would lag while it was decoupling if I staged and then fired my engine separate, it was pretty severe, I tried all sorts of solutions and couldnt get it to work right. It would stage ok if the engine and shroud were together but there was still a tad of lag. Well I wake up this morning and everything is perfect. I have no idea what was going on. still a few issues I have to work out but its kind of coming along =P

A little angry right now, so I was going to post an issue I was having with a shroud decoupler where it would lag while it was decoupling if I staged and then fired my engine separate, it was pretty severe, I tried all sorts of solutions and couldnt get it to work right. It would stage ok if the engine and shroud were together but there was still a tad of lag. Well I wake up this morning and everything is perfect. I have no idea what was going on. still a few issues I have to work out but its kind of coming along =P

Weird stuff. Could you perhaps record what you have right now in game to show us progress? I think it would be cool to see the booster and things.

Here's a video of what I have so far, still have some balancing to do when it comes to fuel and what not. And for some reason the game slows down when the SRB's are about empty but I just jettison them anyway they hit the ship if I jettison them when they are empty, so thats something I need to fix too. But you get the idea.

I know what's your problem with the SRBs. Your lower separation motors are not pointing towards the tank. That'd explain why the boosters hit the central tank. They need to thrust upward and out, balance the forces so that the "out" component equals the upper sep motor thrust.

I know what's your problem with the SRBs. Your lower separation motors are not pointing towards the tank. That'd explain why the boosters hit the central tank. They need to thrust upward and out, balance the forces so that the "out" component equals the upper sep motor thrust.

just about every reference I found has them pointing the way I have them, I think I had a similar discussion earlier. I assume they are meant to be discharged while the SRBs are still going, so it works in that instance. I want to keep them that way, I just have to find a balance between the nosecone boosters and the skirt boosters. But you can easily flip the skirt ones if need be.

Edited by Stevincent

Here's a video of what I have so far, still have some balancing to do when it comes to fuel and what not. And for some reason the game slows down when the SRB's are about empty but I just jettison them anyway they hit the ship if I jettison them when they are empty, so thats something I need to fix too. But you get the idea.

Wow, those boosters fit better than I thought. Also, try the advanced booster mod. The boosters on the space shuttle get less powerful as they near the end, and kind of "fizzle" at the end. Also, you don't really need to change the design. Perhaps add some motors without a particle effect that just point sideways? They might help. Keep up the good work, cause it looks f'in amazing!

Wow, those boosters fit better than I thought. Also, try the advanced booster mod. The boosters on the space shuttle get less powerful as they near the end, and kind of "fizzle" at the end. Also, you don't really need to change the design. Perhaps add some motors without a particle effect that just point sideways? They might help. Keep up the good work, cause it looks f'in amazing!

Haha I might be able to do that.

Is that Red-KSP SRB texture optional? Although its good, I would like to use the more realistic texture for the SLS SRB's.

BTW, Keep on the good work!!!

Yeah its just a placement texture till I get around to actually texturing them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.