[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

So I'm modeling a the SLS, Orion, LSAM, and the now cancelled manned asteroid mission. Currently I'm modeling from the bottom to top starting with the RS-25 of the core stage of the SLS. Ill post images of what I have here. I have never modeled anything for a video game so any help would be appreciated. I know many probably won't be interested in this mod, because many off these have already been modeled and textured already. But I think the asteroid capture portion might be something new, but I dont know how to make it work other than modeling part! Anyways encouragement and critiques welcome.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

21JULY13 - RS-25 (SSME) High Poly

23JULY13 - RS-25 Low Poly Version (TEST)

24JULY13 SRB High Poly

24JUL13 - Its coming along, Im starting to get excited about this :)

26JUL13 - J-2X High Poly

Edited by Stevincent

Those nozzles are absolutely sublime! I'd have to say they are a bit poly heavy though. What's the tri/vert count on those suckers? I'm guessing at least 50-60k for all of them? They look like turbosmoothed objects. Although it's drop dead sexy, it's going to run like a dog in the game :(

I've never modeled for a game before so low poly is greek to me. I've only recently learned how to model. I just started learning Maya in college about 6 months ago. Any tips on low poly construction would be great.

And you were spot on then engines are about 10K a piece. I was wondering what the limitations were for models in this game are? Anyways any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated. Even if I have to start over thats cool, practice practice practice.

And thanks for the compliment it is very much appreciated :)!

Generally try to get polys down to about 2k at most, for all five engine bells I'd say. Standard number of sides for round things on parts is 24, so keep that in mind. Smaller stuff like tubing (especially like that on the engines there) can safely be reduced to 6 sides, or even 3. Remember how small it will appear in game, you're very rarely up nose-to-nose with it so it doesn't matter nearly as much as, say, a cockpit that you'll be looking at up close for a long period of time.

nDo2 is totally worth the money. It does way more than Crazybump, or the Photoshop conversion filter. It's an indispensable tool, I've been using it for years.

As far as low poly modeling, it's really just just that - use less triangles. Most of the detail you have there for instance, could be in a normal map. You could even use the geometry you have right there as the high poly, to bake out the normal map and ambient occlusion. The nozzels should be like 12-18 sides at most really, with a few horizontal slices on the way up, to model the bell curve. Basically, use a little geometry as possible, to get the shape you want. Any small details can usually be added in via a normal map. Here's an example of low poly engines: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2355669/horizon19.jpg

*EDIT*

Nova is right on the money there.

RS-25 is a much simplified version of the SSME, it's not the SSME.

Oh thanks for the clarification! Is what I have for the here modeled is it visually the same as the SSME? I couldnt find a whole lot of references specific for the RS-25. I was a bit confused, I thought RS-25 and SSME were synonyms and that they were just retooling the RS-25 for the SLS.

If those RS-25s are on the base of the first stage of the SLS, you should know that there are only four of them, not five. Also, some tips for low poly is to ignore unseen detail, and use normal maps for heavier details.

What scale do you have in mind, when you introduce this to KSP? Im very intrigued by this, and wish you luck!

Im currently modeling everything at a 1:1 scale. But I dont have any particular scale in mind, I would be open to that. What scale do you think I should bring it into KSP with?

Looks fantastic! I hope you can keep that detail when you cut the poly's down, looking forward to firing these up.

*edit just saw the updated picture with the baked normal, looks top notch

Looks fantastic! I hope you can keep that detail when you cut the poly's down, looking forward to firing these up.

*edit just saw the updated picture with the baked normal, looks top notch

Thanks! Im working on the SRBs right now. I will be doing 2 variations, the one used for the Space Shuttle Program which I'm assuming is being used for the 70ton variety, and the Advanced SRB which is going to be used on the 130 and 150ton. I will also be doing the 4 engine and 5 engine versions of the core stage.

Theyre actually saying that SLS block 1 will be capable of 90 metic tons to LEO, just to be nit picky. Really looking forward to this. If you make those SRBs nice and accurate power and ISP wise I have big plans for them. Just a small request, can you make the nose cone a separate part? I either plan on seeing how much a Saturn V could lift with Shuttle SRBs or making an Ares I

Theyre actually saying that SLS block 1 will be capable of 90 metic tons to LEO, just to be nit picky. Really looking forward to this. If you make those SRBs nice and accurate power and ISP wise I have big plans for them. Just a small request, can you make the nose cone a separate part? I either plan on seeing how much a Saturn V could lift with Shuttle SRBs or making an Ares I

I was actually just about to ask about the nose cone. So yes, yes I will make the nose cone separate.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.