[WIP] Space Launch System (SLS) and ORION (MPCV)

Stevincent

Stevincent you are freaking amazing. You've inspired me to fire up blender and see if I can make some basic shapes.

Do you know of any good tutorials on making textures?

here are couple from you tube that I've used. The first one you may need NDO2 but its a good walk through of the process

This video is very useful for texturing. Its a two parter.

And I am glad I could inspire you!

Ok just finished the Cryogenic stage high poly version and I'm fairly satisfied I think this is my favorite part that I have built, I think its because those support struts look so freaking sexy. So now onto the Orion portion now. I will try to get those finished tomorrow.

I have midterms next week so Im not sure how much progress Ill be making next week, but once I have the low poly versions of everything hammered out I am going to try and to get them into Unity. I've never used Unity before so if anyone knows any good resources that would be greatly appreciated. Im going to be doing some tutorials this weekend if I have the time.

y3H4iha.jpg

Edited by Stevincent

Ok finished the High poly version of the ORION. Im going to try and get everything UV'd and ready for bringing into Unity, I want to test some of this stuff out. But once again if anyone has any good resources for unity please shoot me a link. Thanks

O5bHhFK.jpgA9DcFAq.jpg

vJbnQ66.jpgS9S58xv.jpg

Dude holy crap this stuff is amazing! That Interm Cryogenic Propulsion stage looks phenomenal. Just a quick note however, Orion is no longer going to look like that. Its receiving a service module from ESA based on the ATV. Heres a gallery from ESA: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Highlights/Orion

Dude holy crap this stuff is amazing! That Interm Cryogenic Propulsion stage looks phenomenal. Just a quick note however, Orion is no longer going to look like that. Its receiving a service module from ESA based on the ATV. Heres a gallery from ESA: http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/Highlights/Orion

You know whats funny I originally was using the ESA as my reference and it still has a couple elements, but its some minor changes, and shoulnt take too long to correct I may even have the layer that has that geometry still on it... lol. Id just have to move around some of the nozzles and make those solar panels which will make my life easier. The other solar panels were a tight fit.

Thanks for the compliments and the link, I appreciate it. Oh and the cryo stage was a lot of fun to make and hopefully it will look even better when I texture it.

you can see the ESA reference in this render lol, should have stuck to it. Oh well it shouldnt take long

sSmXHAT.jpg

Edited by Stevincent

BobCat already made the original SM for the Ares I, so I'd rather have the ESA SM on this one.

Yeah, I will be converting what I have to the ESA SM its not too much work. Thanks for pointing it out guys its easier to deal with changes at this stage.

Alternatively you could have both (of course with both time and personal will the defining factors) and let people chose with they want to use in-game.

Both will probably make into the mod, but the ESA will be priority when it comes to texturing and what not.

If you need any testers, I am here. Ever since the IFE SLS was canceled, I have been waiting for a mod like this for an eternity!

This mod is great, and even though I would use the original SM because the circular solar panels look cooler, I think the ESA SM should go in there.

The ESA SM looks good. Keep up the good modeling!

If you need any testers, I am here. Ever since the IFE SLS was canceled, I have been waiting for a mod like this for an eternity!

This mod is great, and even though I would use the original SM because the circular solar panels look cooler, I think the ESA SM should go in there.

The ESA SM looks good. Keep up the good modeling!

Yeah, I do like the circular panels too, Ill get it done eventually lol. And when I get to that point of testing ill drop you a line.

This just looks awesome. Do you need testers? Or do you intent to just skip the testing phase or do an open beta?

Yeah I am not sure which route Ill be going, it will most likely be an open beta so I can get as much input as possible.

dude,Bobcat inc. allready made a mod with this,AND the altair lander!,but it has no sls,keep up the good work!:cool:

Yeah I discovered BobCats American Pack after the fact, and was actually a bit discouraged and almost scrapped the entire project. The quality of his work is just awesome. His J-2X Model is awesome, just take a look at it, even his updated SRB model is amazing. With that said I think the ESA variant is enough to separate it from BobCat, and the texture continuity should be very pleasing to the eye. The ESA and the Cryo Stage Im modeling should look super duper sexy when its all textured and done.

Someone commented on the first page that the RS-25s are not SSMEs... in fact they are. The first several SLS launches in fact will use the ACTUAL engines from the retired space shuttle fleet before a new simplified SSME is designed and produced. (The engines in the orbiters on display are mock-ups just for looks.)

And by the way, to reiterate what most have already said, these models look absolutely amazing.

RS-25s are actually SSMEs. They just happen to be modified. Also, the F-1 on the Saturn V is being modified by some company for use on the Next-Gen boosters. Also, don't be discouraged by Bobcat's mod. It's just the constellation project, and this is the SLS. Just keep working on it, and I'm sure it will be awesome!

Someone commented on the first page that the RS-25s are not SSMEs... in fact they are. The first several SLS launches in fact will use the ACTUAL engines from the retired space shuttle fleet before a new simplified SSME is designed and produced. (The engines in the orbiters on display are mock-ups just for looks.)

And by the way, to reiterate what most have already said, these models look absolutely amazing.

Yeah I think they said they had 15 RS-25's left over from the Space Shuttle program. And thanks for the compliment!

RS-25s are actually SSMEs. They just happen to be modified. Also, the F-1 on the Saturn V is being modified by some company for use on the Next-Gen boosters. Also, don't be discouraged by Bobcat's mod. It's just the constellation project, and this is the SLS. Just keep working on it, and I'm sure it will be awesome!

Sounds like Ill have to work on the F-1 too, its such a beautiful piece of engineering artwork that beast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.