Walking a kerbal around Kerbin

rewdew2

So i'm playing with the idea in my mind to walk a kerbal all the way around kerbin.

No sprint, (well, maybe sprint)

No time acceleration.

Just walking all the way around kerbin. (staying on land of course because swimming is SLOW)

So, say i were to do this. Would you people watch it if it were a youtube series? (like far lands or bust, by Kurt J. Mac)

Would you have anything interesting to say like Kurt does when doing FLoB or would your journey be done to the sound of awkward silence?

That depends. would you guys give me interesting things to talk about, and questions to respond to?

I think this idea might (maybe) work out if done similar to the FLoB series, but on the other hand, Minecraft has A LOT more people in its community willing to spend their time on watching videos like that, AND it was kind of a new thing when it was started. I am actually not sure if this thing will find enough people interested in watching it. Giving it some kind of charity purpose might help a bit, again, like FLoB... but honestly, unless you are one HECK of an entertainer, I doubt you can pull this off, but I'll be happy to be wrong! Oh, and don't forget to do that run with jeb!

My only concern is the lack of things to see on the journey and the distance between those relatively sparse moments. If you were to make some sort of vehicle that could traverse the planet from a low height but at a decent speed and could cover the entire journey then yeah I'd watch that. (airship maybe?) But honestly I'd struggle to sit through the uneventful sections. I regularly skip sections on most KSP videos in general because space travel is slow and uneventful for the most part. I imagine traversing the surface on foot would amplify that.

The idea is neat though, don't take it as a knock, I just don't have the greatest of attention spans for lengthy internet videos anyway.

Well if you used 4X time warp you could get it done in a few hours. I'd watch a series like that as long as you can keep me interested in it after awhile I think it's a good idea.

A few hours... let's see. with 10(ish) minute videos, i should get done in... maybe a 30 episode series?

I dare you to walk it.

Well why not. -takes one step- NO NO NO NO! THIS IS TOO MUCH OF A DEDICATION

But seriously, i might....

Edited by rewdew2

Please excuse the hyperbole, but why should I want to watch this in real time? In the time it would take me to watch what would be rivaling for one of the most boring series of youtube videos ever, I could do it my self and be ever so slightly less bored. (Which is totally bored out of my mind to the point of wishing to rather watch paint dry.) :sealed:

I'm pretty sure I screwed my math up somewhere, but let's see.

600km radius gives us a 3769.9km circumference. Kerbals seem to trot along at an average human pace, perhaps a little faster so let's call it an even 6kmph. Actually, let's call it 10kph, just for some nice round numbers. That means you'll be walking your Kerbal for about 15.7 days.

So, no, I will not watch a Kerbal's butt wobble around for two weeks.

Put couple of coins on the W key and you will be sorted, press record and fall asleep!

Well, it wouldn't be around the equator, it would be along the shores of the ocean, and across the continents. (for science)

i MIGHT do something like a rover, but those are kind of overdone for traveling in KSP.

A small plane might be an option. but a few things wrong with that. Fuel, and HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ENJOY THE LAND FROM THE SKY?!

But what i just might do. is walk along the equator, and before hand place "boats" of some kind to get the kerbal across the oceans.

I'm pretty sure I screwed my math up somewhere, but let's see.

600km radius gives us a 3769.9km circumference. Kerbals seem to trot along at an average human pace, perhaps a little faster so let's call it an even 6kmph. Actually, let's call it 10kph, just for some nice round numbers. That means you'll be walking your Kerbal for about 15.7 days.

So, no, I will not watch a Kerbal's butt wobble around for two weeks.

Well it wouldn't be a continuous video though, it'd be like FLOB with talking and short segments to keep people interested.

and like, once a month (probably about 15-20 episodes) i'd press M to see how far i've walked.

The problem with this is that Kerbin is quite featureless and once you start walking, there's nothing to do but walk and the interesting bits is the stuff that everyone's already seen before (the big crater or the new mountains). In Minecraft Kurtjmac traveled through a randomly generated world that no-one had seen before and he could build stuff along the way, go off and explore an underground cave, etc.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, this walkathon would just be boring. I imagine you'd find it boring after a few episodes as well. Perhaps you could do a series exploring only the interesting parts of the planets. So one episode you try to land on one of the small islands on Kerbin, the other you fly through the crater where KSC2 is, etc. This way you could still have an exploration theme, but leave the doing-nothing-but-walking stuff out.

The problem with this is that Kerbin is quite featureless and once you start walking, there's nothing to do but walk and the interesting bits is the stuff that everyone's already seen before (the big crater or the new mountains). In Minecraft Kurtjmac traveled through a randomly generated world that no-one had seen before and he could build stuff along the way, go off and explore an underground cave, etc.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, this walkathon would just be boring. I imagine you'd find it boring after a few episodes as well. Perhaps you could do a series exploring only the interesting parts of the planets. So one episode you try to land on one of the small islands on Kerbin, the other you fly through the crater where KSC2 is, etc. This way you could still have an exploration theme, but leave the doing-nothing-but-walking stuff out.

I guess.

Maybe an adventure video/animation type thingey...

I second this. A series of the exploration of the interesting parts of planets and moons (and the trials and tribulations of doing so) would be far more interesting than even a fast forwarded trek across all of Kerbin.

I guess.

Maybe an adventure video/animation type thingey...

That could be interesting.

By the way, that estimate wasn't just throwing numbers out there. At my very generous speed estimate, at absolute best you'll be doing nothing but holding W for over 15 days. Wanna do things like eat or sleep? Gonna take longer. Your Kerbal doesn't walk that fast (and I don't think he will)? Gonna take longer. Only want to spend 12 hours a day making a Jeb go forward? You're doing nothing else in KSP for the next month. I doubt you want to do that, and I doubt even more anyone would want to watch it.

Not a terrible idea, just not practical when you get down to actually doing it.

If you do, you should use the "follow the leader" mod (or whatever it's called) to have a passel of Kerbals :D

Yes! Do this!

But use sprint and time warp, and sticking buttons down, or you'll be there for all eternity.

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."

"That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going."

Forrest Kerman?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.