[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Okay, I've run across a few issues with Interstellar 0.12 with the reactors and the smaller D/T Radial Cryostat.

If you attach the D/T radial Cryostat to a reactor, upon launching the rendered scene turns black, and the resources for reactor fuel (UF4, ThF4) show as NaN on the resource panel:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23648271/KSP/ReactorBlackScreen.png

When you use the large D/T cryostat and a Lithium canister, the Enable Tritium Breeding mode doesn't do anything.

I created a minimal install with just Interstellar 0.12, Toolbar, and Alternate Resource Panel. (I also tried with just Interstellar, and the issues were the same)

Kerbal Space Program - 0.24.2.559 (WindowsPlayer)

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4)

RAM: 16329

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (3072MB)

SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvd3dum.dll 9.18.13.4052])

RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, RGB565, Default, DefaultHDR, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8

I've created a zip that contains a .log, .craft, and screenshots for a few test cases.

Since the game did not crash, just glitch, there are no dumps.

Test Case 1: Fission Reactor, Generator, Probe Core, Microwave Transmitter; Works

Test Case 2: Same parts as Test 1, plus a Lithium Canister; Works

Test Case 3: Same parts as Test 2, plus the small D/T radial cryostat; Shortly after launch the scene turns black

Test Case 4: Same parts as Test 2, with the large inline D/T cryostat; No black scene, but Enable Tritium Breeding does not function.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23648271/KSP/Reactor_Tests.zip

Edit: And after reading some on the forum, looks like I included the wrong log files, here's an output_log of Test Case 3:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23648271/KSP/output_log.zip

Second Edit:

Looks like I've traced the black screen issue to a problem with the .cfg for the radial D/T cryostat.

The ModuleElementRadioactiveDecay was using the wrong strings for the resources:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleElementRadioactiveDecay
decayConstant = 1.7915586e-9
resourceName = Tritium
decayProduct = Helium-3
convFactor = 1
}

Should be:

MODULE
{
resourceName = LqdTritium
decayProduct = LqdHelium3
convFactor = 1
}

Still doesn't fix the Tritium Breeding mode not working.

Edited by Ruziel
Added additional log file

Is there a way to make the interstellar lab or the stock lab to perform the functions of the other one? For example I don't always want to take the 2 labs with me just to reset experiments.

I tried to copy the modules from the stock lab to the science lab but that doesn't work. When I rightclicked on it, it just disabled rightclicking on everything.

From my work on Better Science Labs, I have experienced that the stock Science Lab module does not play nice with other modules. Fractal is a much better coder than me, so maybe he can figure it out though :)

From my work on Better Science Labs, I have experienced that the stock Science Lab module does not play nice with other modules. Fractal is a much better coder than me, so maybe he can figure it out though :)

Odd, dropped it in MKS/OKS without a hitch - what issues did you experience?

I've installed Interstellar (from GitHub), with the WarpPlugin folder in GameData and the other folders (FNPlugin & Interstellar Toolbar) in the main KSP folder, but nothing is showing up. No parts are visible in sandbox, and I have no option to select the tree with a new career/science game. Any help? I'm using 0.24.2, btw.

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get this working so I can use the warp drive.

ModuleScienceLab requires you to set "containerModuleIndex" to tell it where in the module list to find ModuleScienceContainer. If the module at that index isn't ModuleScienceContainer (because the number wasn't updated when copying the module to a different part, or because of trying to add science lab functionality with ModuleManager and not knowing how many patches might run ahead of yours), I've heard that it leads to exceptions and general sadness.

There's no reason you couldn't put ModuleScienceContainer and ModuleScienceLab on the Interstellar part if you get containerModuleIndex right (I need to check whether ModuleManager 2.4's new expression feature can automate this). Putting the Interstellar function on the Squad part would save you from having to be responsible for that little wrinkle, as long as the Interstellar lab module doesn't depend on the part having animations.

I've installed Interstellar (from GitHub), with the WarpPlugin folder in GameData and the other folders (FNPlugin & Interstellar Toolbar) in the main KSP folder, but nothing is showing up. No parts are visible in sandbox, and I have no option to select the tree with a new career/science game. Any help? I'm using 0.24.2, btw.

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get this working so I can use the warp drive.

It sounds like you have downloaded the source code instead of the plugin. Download from this link and follow the instructions in the zip file.

Is it intended that the Fusion Reactors no longer have on-board fuel storage? They no longer have definitions for Deuterium, Tritium or Helium-3 in their .cfg files.

I decided it was better to move the storage outside the reactors for the tokamak reactors. They can draw fuel from anywhere on the ship so it doesn't matter so much if they don't have an internal supply.

Looks like I've traced the black screen issue to a problem with the .cfg for the radial D/T cryostat.

The ModuleElementRadioactiveDecay was using the wrong strings for the resources:

MODULE
{
resourceName = Tritium
decayProduct = Helium-3
convFactor = 1
}

Should be:

MODULE
{
resourceName = LqdTritium
decayProduct = LqdHelium3
convFactor = 1
}

Still doesn't fix the Tritium Breeding mode not working.

I don't know how that ModuleElementRadioactiveDecay error slipped through, I thought I had been very careful about updating those properly, sorry about that! I've made that change ready for the next update.

I will investigate the Tritium Breeding issue.

My branch will reconverge at the earliest opportunity. kspil/experimental was originally my personal version which I had made available to the public. I plan to contribute to the original codebase in whatever way that I can. What I was doing to extend support for modification and compatibility can be done with kspi or kspil. But I won't leave current kspil users stranded with broken saves. I will support at least .25 for kspil.

There will be no epic space battles. :P

I'm a little behind on updates for this as I'm stuck in Nowhere, Quebec for the foreseeable future, but thanks for keeping the KSPI torch going in Fractal's absence. I liked many of your improvements.

Great to have you back too, Fractal! KSPI is NewGame+ for KSP.

Nice to see that you are back, Fractal.

Despite your busy schedule and lack of development time to add new features to Interstellar in a regular basis, do you have any plans about what kinds of new features and mechanics you would like to include into the modification?

I myself am very interested in further exploring the effects of radiation and it's implications on living organisms and electronics, as well as effective countermeasures in the form of shielding.

Obviously, way easier said than done, specially so if paying much attention to details, such as material transmutation, radiation backscatter, radiation embrittlement, different radiation types, such as Alpha and Beta particles, fast neutrons, electromagnetic radiation...

What are your thoughts on the subject?

If I tried to combine it in the same part as FSanimategeneric or with ModuleScienceExperiment/crewReport I would get the same problem as warp11 described, right clicking on the part in VAB/SPH would break right clicking.

I have run into a small issue with distribution of power to electric engines... ksp 24.2 interstellar .12

I have a craft with three plasma engines (two are on probes that will separate later and are not avail. for use)

When only one of these engines is activated, it can only use 1/3 of avail. power and the remaining 2/3 is reserved for the other two engines(right click activation of other two engines allows me to use 100% of avail. power but this seems to be a problem that nonactive engines have power reserved for them.... even if they are later in the staging and have never been active.

ModuleScienceLab requires you to set "containerModuleIndex" to tell it where in the module list to find ModuleScienceContainer. If the module at that index isn't ModuleScienceContainer (because the number wasn't updated when copying the module to a different part, or because of trying to add science lab functionality with ModuleManager and not knowing how many patches might run ahead of yours), I've heard that it leads to exceptions and general sadness.

Awesome undercoveryankee. Your post led me to a quick google search which brought up this thread that explains what you were talking about in a little further detail. following the instructions there completely fixed the problem I was having with FSanimategeneric.

Thanks again :)

Yeah i did. It didn't work but I'm glad to see you back though.

Thanks! Could you send me a copy of your KSP.log file, I might be able to figure out what's going wrong from that?

I have run into a small issue with distribution of power to electric engines... ksp 24.2 interstellar .12

I have a craft with three plasma engines (two are on probes that will separate later and are not avail. for use)

When only one of these engines is activated, it can only use 1/3 of avail. power and the remaining 2/3 is reserved for the other two engines(right click activation of other two engines allows me to use 100% of avail. power but this seems to be a problem that nonactive engines have power reserved for them.... even if they are later in the staging and have never been active.

I will check that out, thanks.

What all do I need to hook up to the IR telescope to gain science from the Deep field survey? Do I need the computer core and or the Interstellar Lab for it to work?

You need the lab or a computer core to do the deep space Direct Planetary Observation at ~550AU, all you need for the Deep Field Survey is to be outside the atmosphere. You'll need a transmitter to send the science back, of course.

You need the lab or a computer core to do the deep space Direct Planetary Observation at ~550AU, all you need for the Deep Field Survey is to be outside the atmosphere. You'll need a transmitter to send the science back, of course.

Hmm.. I am not sure why it is not working for me then. I have a probe orbiting Kerbol with 2 helium cryostats and a small nuclear reactor to power them.

My game is heavily modded, tomorrow I will try a stock/Interstellar only install and I will post my logs if I still have any issues.

Hmm.. I am not sure why it is not working for me then. I have a probe orbiting Kerbol with 2 helium cryostats and a small nuclear reactor to power them.

My game is heavily modded, tomorrow I will try a stock/Interstellar only install and I will post my logs if I still have any issues.

Can you describe what is happening for you at the moment?

That link isn't working for me, unfortunately. It's giving me a 403 error.