[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Yes. But those "charged particles" produced still go to waste heat if not used.

Goddamnit... am I really that stupid?

Just checked... yes, yes I am that stupid. Ok, so I turned on all of the ISRU functions (that don't waste my resources) to use more of the surplus power and the waste heat started taking a nose dive. Looks like I had a serious brain fart here.

It doesn't really matter, though. I specifically chose a Direct Conversion set up for the high efficiency that doesn't rely on keeping low heat levels. I built it to sit at 1/2-2/3 at all times. I was just shocked into stupidity when it when there while idle.

lawls

The update will be released when its ready but unfortunately I'm extremely busy at the moment.

Don't worry about it, Fractal... I'm just giving you ****. You DID ask us to remind you to make much smaller, more frequent updates!

By the way... it would be great if we could say.. throttle the microwave transmitter to just send the idle power in a ship without it cranking all reactors to max. Hey, I like that idea. What if we tied a tweakable on a transmitter directly to all reactor %s on a ship?

~Steve

Edited by NeoAcario

By the way... it would be great if we could say.. throttle the microwave transmitter to just send the idle power in a ship without cranking all reactors to max.

I added a slider to the transmitters when I was doing some work on the update the other day so you could control what percentage of maximum power you wanted to transmit.

I added a slider to the transmitters when I was doing some work on the update the other day so you could control what percentage of maximum power you wanted to transmit.

Apparently I give you too much rep... it's not letting me do it again.

Props to ya!

Any chance you included a slider for receivers also? ^.^

~Steve

Why re lithium, water, uranium, thorium containers avaible at first node of tech tree?

You mean the second tab? Probably because that's the propulsion tab... and those resources CAN be used as fuels for one device or another.

I am a bit confused on what the heck the point of the helium cryostat is in the science tab.

~Steve

Exactly, technically an MSR/Gas Core reactor still produces 80%+ power as charged particles but in the former case the charged particles are contained within the molten salt, in the second case they are contained in a quartz chamber so they can't escape the reactor core to be collected by a direct conversion generator, they just become heat. If you have no direct conversion generator or the direct conversion generator is at 0% power, all the power produced becomes heat.

And what happens if you just let them escape the power core? ;) Sounds like a nice idea, or? ;)

You mean the second tab? Probably because that's the propulsion tab... and those resources CAN be used as fuels for one device or another.

I am a bit confused on what the heck the point of the helium cryostat is in the science tab.

~Steve

Sure, but so early ingame they are useless.

Great. Now the same for power input on the receiver (there in absolute GW) and a lot of people will be a lot happer ;)

And what happens if you just let them escape the power core? ;) Sounds like a nice idea, or? ;)

That's what the dusty plasma and fusion reactors are designed to allow, of course it only helps if you collect them and use them for electrical power. Unless they're actually collected, they simply impact the walls of the reactor/generator vessel and heat it up.

What about that mod that added inflatable airships balloons? oh, what the %&^% was it called? Is that mod still alive? you could use it and build a atmo miner that just floated in the air, no fuel required, build it with a rocket and when its full, push it into space. I think it was made by hooligan labs or some such? It was in one of Scott Manley's vids, used it to go to Eve and fly around...

Hooligan Labs? It's very much still alive.

One question: is it possible to disable heating of atmospheric engines at high speeds? That's the only feature of this mod that I do not like.

Yeah, I've blown mine up instantly twice already on accident from just switching fuel modes. Still managed to glide land it tho.

could it be possible to add just mining moduels seperate from the ISRU refinery?

Not really clear on what you're asking but if you mean to add the capability to mine to other parts then yeah you just add the applicable FNModuleResourceExtraction module from the ISRU part.cfg to the part.cfg of the new part you wish to have mining capability.

Edited by egreSS

1) Could we get radical engines? I tried making my own and it didn't work out.

2) when using the warp drive, when is the right time to turn it on without 10000+ dv when turning it off?

3) Could we can a plugin that would auto-turn off the warp drive when we get too close to the planet? that we can disable/enable and pick how far out we want it to turn off?

1: how much more radical than a warp drive and antimatter do you want it?

2: plan your vector better. Sadly that means the source and target must be on one side and one line of the sun - so you only have the delta in vector. Otherwise better get used to some heavy burns.... that is what antimatter is for ;)

1: how much more radical than a warp drive and antimatter do you want it?

2: plan your vector better. Sadly that means the source and target must be on one side and one line of the sun - so you only have the delta in vector. Otherwise better get used to some heavy burns.... that is what antimatter is for ;)

Sorry, I meant radial mount engines...

Bonus Question:

Is there a way to change it so I exit at the same speed I enter without momentum?

Edited by Seeker89

Yeah, I've blown mine up instantly twice already on accident from just switching fuel modes. Still managed to glide land it tho.

Yes, it's an easy change to one of the config files in the Interstellar mod.

So - I"m thinking about upgrading, but it sounds like this is going to break all my missions in flight because the seismometer doesn't work the same way as when I launched the mission. Also, did I read somewhere that the fuel quantities have changed?

So - I"m thinking about upgrading, but it sounds like this is going to break all my missions in flight because the seismometer doesn't work the same way as when I launched the mission.

It won't break your ongoing mission at all, you could either 1) send out some more crafts to take advantage of the new impactor system or 2) re-enable the stock science on the accelerometers (which is a one line change in science.cfg).

Also, did I read somewhere that the fuel quantities have changed?

Yeah, the fuel density and quantity of nuclear fuel has been changed but there is an automatic upgrade system to switch existing reactors over to the new values. You may need to replace reactors on your craft files saved in the VAB with a fresh part from the VAB but your existing missions won't be affected by this change.

So - I"m thinking about upgrading, but it sounds like this is going to break all my missions in flight because the seismometer doesn't work the same way as when I launched the mission. Also, did I read somewhere that the fuel quantities have changed?

Someone did post a fix for that, and the sensor in b9 the seismometer still works in that

It won't break your missions, but the seismometer doesn't work as it used to unless you edit the files to have 2 of them (stock and KSPI). Apparently already launched reactors consume 1000 (?) more fuel so you'd have to relaunch that power station of yours.

It won't break your missions, but the seismometer doesn't work as it used to unless you edit the files to have 2 of them (stock and KSPI). Apparently already launched reactors consume 1000 (?) more fuel so you'd have to relaunch that power station of yours.

Nope, existing reactors from pre version 0.10.X have current and max fuel values multiplied by 1000.