[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

There's been no change with the impactor experiment that I'm aware of. But I'll look into it. And I'll fix that config back to the interstellar version. It got copied over from my personal files when setting up my code repository.

It has come to my attention that impactors with a center of mass significantly above the surface may experience problems. There may be a fix, but in the mean time you can just lob small parts at the surface if you want and see if that resolves your issue.

Hey, I have been lobbing the smallest possible objects at the Mun. See for yourself in this video I made for a bug report in KJR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcA31UHdmEE

I have a suggested game-play improvement utilizing the ARM update and the very cool seismometer experiments in KSPI:

Make the max science from an impact experiment scale a bit with the impactor kinetic energy at impact. <begin hand-waving> Real experiments often benefit from having large signal-to-noise ratios so more energetic impacts could yield higher quality experimental results <stop hand-waving>. So, how can you get a VERY massive impact experiment done? Hello, class E asteroid! Let me adjust your orbit for that Mun impact I would like to see...

Actually, this might be really hard if you can't "pilot" the asteroid as it comes in which is a pre-requisite for the current seismometer to work. I suppose you might just have to attach the probe "transponder" to the asteroid for very good experimental results.

Cheers,

I am glad you find the video funny. However! However! I hope Fractal will release an official update soon, and the Wave will look at the impactor issue :)

I also have another question - why is this experiment disabled by default? I have a feeling it's kinda cheaty, it gives IMMENSE amounts of science, maybe it can be used to max the tech tree super fast.

I am glad you find the video funny. However! However! I hope Fractal will release an official update soon, and the Wave will look at the impactor issue :)

I also have another question - why is this experiment disabled by default? I have a feeling it's kinda cheaty, it gives IMMENSE amounts of science, maybe it can be used to max the tech tree super fast.

What's the point of maxing the tech tree super fast? Why not just play sandbox if that's what you want?

Exactly, I don't want to max it fast, but the impactor experiment seemed a bit op to me. With just 6 sensor probes and 10 impacts I made around 2000 science from the Mun.

EDIT: Fractal, the science.cfg lacks the "!MODULE" string, which basically removes the additional functionality. It lacks this string in the official d/l link, so I thought it's disabled by default.

Edited by smunisto

Exactly, I don't want to max it fast, but the impactor experiment seemed a bit op to me. With just 6 sensor probes and 10 impacts I made around 2000 science from the Mun.

I just hacked the max science from the impactor down by about 1/10.

WaveFunctionP, the microwave receiver throttling in your experimental version is causing the plasma thrusters to abruptly jump from minuscule thrust to normal thrust at about 35% throttle making fine adjustments difficult with abundant beamed power.

The folding warp drive shows up under the tech node "Experimental Science" instead of under "Ultra-High Energy Physics", although both the official warp drive and the folding one have the same techRequired of "experimentalScience". Is there any way to move the folding warp drive to the correct node?

-edit-

I can also confirm what Thorbane said. Maybe make the auto-throttling a togglable option?

Edited by pantheis

I have a suggested game-play improvement utilizing the ARM update and the very cool seismometer experiments in KSPI:

Make the max science from an impact experiment scale a bit with the impactor kinetic energy at impact. <begin hand-waving> Real experiments often benefit from having large signal-to-noise ratios so more energetic impacts could yield higher quality experimental results <stop hand-waving>. So, how can you get a VERY massive impact experiment done? Hello, class E asteroid! Let me adjust your orbit for that Mun impact I would like to see...

Actually, this might be really hard if you can't "pilot" the asteroid as it comes in which is a pre-requisite for the current seismometer to work. I suppose you might just have to attach the probe "transponder" to the asteroid for very good experimental results.

Cheers,

This is actually very good idea!

The folding warp drive shows up under the tech node "Experimental Science" instead of under "Ultra-High Energy Physics", although both the official warp drive and the folding one have the same techRequired of "experimentalScience". Is there any way to move the folding warp drive to the correct node?

TreeLoader lets custom tech trees move parts around and override the TechRequired line from the part config. You can try changing the TechRequired to "interstellarTechUHEPhysics" to match the correct node on the Intersellar tree or you can try my fixed tree.cfg which I just added the new parts to. For the fixed tree.cfg just replace the tree.cfg in you save folder with the new one and load the game.

So, it seems that with the very minor addition to the tech in the new version, I'm left with two options:

1) I can shift the asteroid grabber into the old tech tree and continue with the existing Interstellar tech tree

OR

2) I can find a way of revising the tech tree should I need to make updates.

Given that SQUAD are obviously happy to stick nodes in here and there, I think option 2) makes more sense because it will allow me to future-proof Interstellar and make me more capable of adapting to future updates. I'm going to try and take this opportunity to make some much needed tweaks to the Interstellar tree as well. Hopefully the result will be a nicer technology progression in career mode, this will allow me to incorporate some much needed balance changes - such as stopping the likes of gas core nuclear reactors from appearing in the same node as the DT Vista, which are really on a completely level and thus don't really belong in the same node.

Fractal, may i ask if laser drive which model is showed in plugin development forum thread will be included in upcoming kspi update?

Probably not, I've run the numbers a few times and I think I need to change the concept slightly because a nuclear photonic (even an antimatter photonic) rocket just doesn't have a playable thrust. I don't really want to introduce a part that is only playable with the largest antimatter reactor because it's too specific.

I can probably switch it over to represent some other kind of electric drive in the future and actually it get it into a niche that isn't already covered by existing parts and is interesting to use too.

EDIT: Fractal, the science.cfg lacks the "!MODULE" string, which basically removes the additional functionality. It lacks this string in the official d/l link, so I thought it's disabled by default.

I just downloaded the official version.

This is the science config that was in it.

@PART[sensorAccelerometer]
{
!MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]
{
}
MODULE
{
name = FNSeismicProbe
experimentID = FNSeismicProbeExperiment
rerunnable = true
deployEventName = Collect Impact Data
reviewEventName = Review Impact Data
resetEventName = Reset Impact Data
}
}

If you downloaded the link in my sig, it says it is experimental version. I've also said that fractal is not responsible for those builds, it is an independent project.

WaveFunctionP, the microwave receiver throttling in your experimental version is causing the plasma thrusters to abruptly jump from minuscule thrust to normal thrust at about 35% throttle making fine adjustments difficult with abundant beamed power.

I think I have a better optimization routine in the works. Sit tight.

Hey, I have been lobbing the smallest possible objects at the Mun. See for yourself in this video I made for a bug report in KJR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcA31UHdmEE

I think that only happens when you impact on a decoupler, and possibly then only when the decoupler is the root part. Something similar happened to me once; flipping the craft around solved it.

So, it seems that with the very minor addition to the tech in the new version, I'm left with two options:

1) I can shift the asteroid grabber into the old tech tree and continue with the existing Interstellar tech tree

OR

Given that SQUAD are obviously happy to stick nodes in here and there, I think option 2) makes more sense because it will allow me to future-proof Interstellar and make me more capable of adapting to future updates. I'm going to try and take this opportunity to make some much needed tweaks to the Interstellar tree as well. Hopefully the result will be a nicer technology progression in career mode, this will allow me to incorporate some much needed balance changes - such as stopping the likes of gas core nuclear reactors from appearing in the same node as the DT Vista, which are really on a completely level and thus don't really belong in the same node.

I agree with the second option, Removing treeloader dependence would be a good idea in general.

TreeLoader lets custom tech trees move parts around and override the TechRequired line from the part config. You can try changing the TechRequired to "interstellarTechUHEPhysics" to match the correct node on the Intersellar tree or you can try my fixed tree.cfg which I just added the new parts to. For the fixed tree.cfg just replace the tree.cfg in you save folder with the new one and load the game.

Awesome! For the life of me I couldn't figure out where the tree changes were stored. I knew about TreeLoader, but just didn't have a clue how it was getting its configuration. Now I know and I've applied the proper changes to my tree.cfg file. Thanks again!

Well you see the picture... zzz made a collapsible warp drive. The download is right there. Just toss it right next to the regular warp drive folder.

Not sure what else you want to know...

~Steve

thats what i thought but when i put the new warp drive into the normal warp drive folder but the new one is just broken. the attachment nodes are off, its resized scale is weird, and it doesnt move or activate at all. i asked because i wasnt sure if this was an in progress addition or something that works due to it being broken.

Do i need to have it in a seperate warpdrive 2 folder for it to work? i dont see why it would make a difference though

posting from mobile :/

I think that only happens when you impact on a decoupler, and possibly then only when the decoupler is the root part. Something similar happened to me once; flipping the craft around solved it.

Seems more like it was a glitch with KJR, the update notes for it indicate it may be fixed. Either way I can say for sure decouplers have nothing to do with it although root part may be a possibility. I was building a craft consisting of a stayputnic, the toroidal tank and the LV-1 with EL and crashing those on minmus. I prety much always ramed stayputnic first into the planet although I'm prety sure it was the root part. Even then it was not consistant on the bounce. 2 of the dozen or so probes bounced. The first one bounced 2 times and I had to go to the space center and back to get it to crash, second bouncer probe blew up on the second impact, both landed on the stayputnic.

OR

Option 2 seems to be very superior, as anything that will pre-address future events would be a great saver in the future