[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

All links are down.

Mega links work fine for me ;)

.... anyway, I guess I am on a lost post here when I just want to kinda mention that I wish kerbals (and suits) looked like > this < for science.. and explosions!

But I guess this goes beyond what a retexture can do ;p

Edited by eRe4s3r

Will the next version have a folder for EVA Kerbal? I figured out how to get the textures to png.

It already has.... -> UniverseReplacer\Textures\Kerbals

Unless you mean something different...

Edited by eRe4s3r

Nmhnmh... Just noticed that the kerbin2.png I tested with and uploaded a few pages back has somehow managed to save without an alpha channel despite it being saved from a 32bit tga with alpha channel.. .. sigh

Edited by eRe4s3r

Nmhnmh... Just noticed that the kerbin2.png I tested with and uploaded a few pages back has somehow managed to save without an alpha channel.. i uploaded the wrong file.. weee ;)

I just noticed this too and I was about to come in and say that. :P

At least it makes the planet look nice from a few angles. :D

Hyperedit + custom texture + custom heightmaps = crowd-sourced solar systems.

Honestly, the developments related to this mod may be to KSP what custom maps are to Minecraft. That is my hope. My fear is that Squad will not want to let go of creative control. In the mean time I'm learning everything I can about unity and textures in an attempt to catch up.

(And I just ordered 500$ worth of new components to better run KSP ... As I did with minecraft two years ago.)

I just noticed this too and I was about to come in and say that. :P

At least it makes the planet look nice from a few angles. :D

Hehe, just get the new file -> http://filesmelt.com/dl/Kerbin2.tga ;) it's now a tga. For the life of me I can't figure out why it doesn't save this with alpha channel as png. Now it really looks pretty in the RIGHT angle ;P Apparently I can't just "drag" an alpha channel over into an image and save it as that, even though I have superPNG in photoshop (and specifically said, Save with Alpha)

The funny thing is, in my test this even WORKED, but I wanted to make sure the alpha is right, so I loaded and hit ctrl+S and my alpha channel was gun.. ah the joys of modding.

And yeah, this appears like a real noob mistake, but who'd expect the save dialog of photoshop to remove the alpha channel out of a png that had the correct alpha channel in it on load. I seem to find all sorts of funny errors lately ;p

Either way, I am curious what the artists here can do with kerbin2 . I think with the right combination of diffuse/alpha in kerbin1 and specular/bump in kerbin2 the planet could be made to look photorealistic. But it goes beyond my understanding how to do that.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Sadly the plugin is crashing my game during loading. I can run this with a 2k skybox replacement, but if I try to install the 8k planet pack or run a 4k skybox, the game crashes. I can run all of it with a clean install though, so I think it must have something to do with a memory limit. Thing is, I have 32GB of RAM and a GTX580 so I'm not exactly running a low-end system. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Sadly the plugin is crashing my game during loading. I can run this with a 2k skybox replacement, but if I try to install the 8k planet pack or run a 4k skybox, the game crashes. I can run all of it with a clean install though, so I think it must have something to do with a memory limit. Thing is, I have 32GB of RAM and a GTX580 so I'm not exactly running a low-end system. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Yes and it does not matter how much ram you have. The game will crash as soon as it tries to load more than 3.99gb of Ram (well, it could be 3.1gb too, but if it crashes you are out of ram ;P Mods and this plugin together can crash you.

Here some guidelines (if you crash)

Don't use a 4k skybox, use a 2k skybox . That's optimal res.

Don't use high res versions of planets that you don't ever plan to visit.

Only use -1- or at most -2- 8k planet textures at a time.

Make *sure* none of the large textures use TGA as file format. There's a weird glitch with ram usage and super high res tga.

I think we should also add a FAQ to the first post.. heh.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Your machine specs have almost no bearing on KSP. Anything over ~3.1GB RAM cannot be used. So, if this mod pushes your game over that limit, you're screwed.

If u installed spacex's pack there are two files in /textures/moons/gilly, both called gilly1. One is jpg file, while the other is png file. Removing jpg solved that crash issue for me. Oh, and do not keep like various unused packs in gamedata folder, also erase any unused textures because KSP would load them anyway, even files like Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UniverseReplacer\Textures\Planets\Kerbin1337.png which have no purpose and are not used.

So:

• Do not keep anything that game does not use in gamedata
  • Mind the names! Files with identical names (but different extensions) cause crashes
  • If you use texture without clouds, erase the one with clouds (just erase texture variants you don't use)

PS I have 4GB RAM inside my PC and using 8k planets + 2k skybox do not crashes KSP but it uses almost 3GB of RAM so I have no spare memory for other things like multiple chrome processes. But since you have 32GB you should be fine (you still can not use whole because KSP works in 32bits).

Your machine specs have almost no bearing on KSP. Anything over ~3.1GB RAM cannot be used. So, if this mod pushes your game over that limit, you're screwed.

Why ~3.1? On 32 bits you can write 4GB of data.

If the application has the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set in the image header, each 32-bit application receives 4 GB of virtual address space in the WOW64 environment. If the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag is not set, each 32-bit application receives 2 GB of virtual address space in the WOW64 environment.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384219(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by El wonso

Speaking of the skybox.. if I use cubethesphere, does anyone here know what my image resolution and aspect needs to be to get perfectly clear 2k sized tiles? I actually can paint spacescapes and.. i want to do a true fantasy one, ie colorful and brighter. Like the inside of a nebula to some extend...

Would it be correct to paint it at 6k*6k and make it fully tileable? (Just making sure I don't misunderstand...) working at 6k*6k is not fast ;p

Edited by eRe4s3r

Why ~3.1? On 32 bits you can write 4GB of data.
It's just one of those things. Mileage may vary depending upon your system, but not by much. Even with 4GB being addressable, only about three-quarters of that is available for the program to use. So, no matter how many gigabytes of additional RAM your system has, you will never see a benefit, so long as KSP is 32bit.

Yes I will add information on my post about performance optimization

Basically

- Delete the planets or moons that you don't think they improve the graphism

- For example, keep Duna, Kerbin, Jool, Laythe and delete other if you want

- If you use texture without clouds, erase the one with clouds (just erase texture variants you don't use)

Edited by spacex34

It's just one of those things. Mileage may vary depending upon your system, but not by much. Even with 4GB being addressable, only about three-quarters of that is available for the program to use. So, no matter how many gigabytes of additional RAM your system has, you will never see a benefit, so long as KSP is 32bit.

I think you are talking about about 32bit OS with 4GB of RAM or more. The thing is, that not just RAM needs to be addressed (don't quote on that pls) so the OS can not use whole 4GB of RAM.

But since things differ in 64bit OS, a 32bit software (like KSP) gets whole 4GB (source above).

For clouds I saw this on reedit

Since the Kethane mod is able to overlay a hex grid for resource info that floats above the ground, it should be possible to something similar with clouds too. Hopefully.

Yes and it does not matter how much ram you have. The game will crash as soon as it tries to load more than 3.99gb of Ram (well, it could be 3.1gb too, but if it crashes you are out of ram.

Duh...I should have realized that. Well, here's to hoping for a 64-bit build someday.

I think you are talking about about 32bit OS with 4GB of RAM or more. The thing is, that not just RAM needs to be addressed (don't quote on that pls) so the OS can not use whole 4GB of RAM.

But since things differ in 64bit OS, a 32bit software (like KSP) gets whole 4GB (source above).

I'm on a 64bit OS, but never see KSP approach 4GB before crashing. I'm not going to say that it stops at 3.1GB, because I'm never looking at the number the moment it crashes, but it doesn't get much higher.