[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

So it's pretty impossible to use the 16k textures if you have any mods with parts installed. They just use too much memory. Think I'll stick with mushroomman pack, which is beautiful enough for me.

These textures are not 16k, they are 8k*4k ;p .. KSP doesn't support 16k .. and secondly, there should probably be a disclaimer added to only use 1, at most 2 of these high res textures at the same time + sky-box. Which leaves Kerbin and whatever planet you plan to fly to ;p

For general use, the 4k pack is a good choice actually, because it works fine just being there. for super high quality, 8k should be chosen where it fits, or for screenshots and stuff. But you likely won't be able to use all the textures at once, assuming you got mods running.

These textures are not 16k, they are 8k*4k ;p .. KSP doesn't support 16k .. and secondly, there should probably be a disclaimer added to only use 1, at most 2 of these high res textures at the same time + sky-box. Which leaves Kerbin and whatever planet you plan to fly to ;p

For general use, the 4k pack is a good choice actually, because it works fine just being there. for super high quality, 8k should be chosen where it fits, or for screenshots and stuff.

Mate, we need new ideas, do you know how to make Death Star texture?

By the way, is the compatibility with EVA Followers fixed with Universe Replacer 3.0? I'm not saying the issue came from Universe Replacer, just wondering whether they are compatible now.

Try it out and tell us...

So the thing that rapes the planet quality even with the HD satellite rip images is the lack of a HD BumpMap(Kerbin2 for example). You could add a small 1x1 pixel image to the planets with the color of 0x818081 to replace the BumpMap. You won't get a dynamic bump generated shadow but that isn't really important considering the shadows are drawn onto the textures (which is not the case on the original ones). If someone realy wanted to make a proper HD retexture, he would have to either draw planet manually or rip them in full-bright without shadows.

Try it out and tell us...

So the thing that rapes the planet quality even with the HD satellite rip images is the lack of a HD BumpMap(Kerbin2 for example). You could add a small 1x1 pixel image to the planets with the color of 0x818081 to replace the BumpMap. You won't get a dynamic bump generated shadow but that isn't really important considering the shadows are drawn onto the textures (which is not the case on the original ones). If someone realy wanted to make a proper HD retexture, he would have to either draw planet manually or rip them in full-bright without shadows.

Only a mad man will try to manualy draw a planet, and I have no idea what does "rip them full-bright without shadows." means...

Mhh, I don't find the bump-map being that a particularly important thing at these resolutions, It would just increase ram usage, maybe we really should replace it with an empty pixel

Either way, I am going to be evil and show you how KSP could look (and how it does in fact look, more or less, thanks to this plugin and the texture packs) ;p (There is a slight bit of photoshop involved, but only to increase glow strength, if the sun_flare was not a compound texture this effect could look MUCH more better.

Using

Galaxy Backgrounds from Rareden -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1en92k9curnlm9g/3QJtpl4bK4

8k matte cloud texture from AncientGammoner -> http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/44135-0-21-x-Universe-Replacer-v3-0?p=581825&viewfull=1#post581825

And my own sunflare..

qHeAPVol.jpg

So yeah, I don't think we can make this look any better ;p I am not messing around with helmets and faces and probably not releasing anything for a while , I wanna enjoy what we got so far ;P

I hope AncientGammoner gets listed in the first post though, the matte clouds look extremely good. testing what 1px kerbin2.png does... ok, we really want the bump and specular to be there and possibilty in much higher resolution than native ,P

Edited by eRe4s3r

T

For general use, the 4k pack is a good choice actually, because it works fine just being there. for super high quality, 8k should be chosen where it fits, or for screenshots and stuff. But you likely won't be able to use all the textures at once, assuming you got mods running.

Is 'the 4k' pack mushroomman's cloud pack? Or did I miss some other bunch of 4k textures?

That's basically what I did almost 4 seconds after asking here, actually. It works. :)

Screenshots please ;) Still, we are gonna need a HD spec/bump texture for the maximum quality... but how to create that? The bump is just weird and I have no idea how they generated that.

Screenshots please ;) Still, we are gonna need a HD spec/bump texture for the maximum quality... but how to create that? The bump is just weird and I have no idea how they generated that.

Sorry..Kinda lost track of convo...

How does the bump in question differ from normal BM like whats used for parts? That its specular too?

8k cloud matte texture with a 1 pixel kerbin2.tga

hukW5dV.jpg

OfwiLGW.jpg

Here you can Download the 1px kerbin2.tga

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Kerbin2.tga

Make sure you only have 1 kerbin2 file in your kerbin folder P;

Make absolutely sure to only apply this when you have the 8k matte cloud kerbin texture by AncientGammoner. If your kerbin1 does not have an alpha channel, this hack will cause glitches. If you do have a matte texture, this will disable bump on clouds (and everywhere else), making the planet smooth (but bump is already "in" the base texture). This is just visual smoothing of the clouds, but makes a big difference to the "feel" of the cloud texture.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Because... KERBALS don't read manuals ;p (Sorry) ,p

Gonna see if this can't somehow turn into a HD specular and bump-map...

Nope.. none of my tools and approaches produce good results... we'd have to intermingle clouds with the ocean/land cut-off texture, create a non-shadow ground texture, create a bump-map that works.... I am sure someone else can do that, but I failed.

1px kerbin2.png linked page back still looks best

Edited by eRe4s3r

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere....

Could we use this technique to re texture parts?

Id love to put some more detail (and maybe even bump maps)

on things like fuel tanks.

Any thoughts?

Sorry if this has been discussed.

Any thoughts?

As for the texture of parts:

That is if you have photoshop, I have no idea how to do it with gimp.

Any thoughts?

Yes, read the first post completely and you will find more than enough info to get you started. This plugin supports the replacement of stock part textures.