Download

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Kerbin_9k+_Cloud_v2.zip

kerbin1.png replaces your old kerbin1.png ;p

Might require -force-d3d11 switch

Good job

Thank guy

You can have a cloudless version?

By the way

I think you should get a pack with all the planets HD, but you may already be working on that

and where is the "mirror" effect on the oceans ??

Released v3.0

Good job I will try it

I added what you found to all the relevant posts in this topic (well, 9k related posts). (Not forcing d3d11 on d3d10 hardware) Black hole caused by that switch on d3d10 hardware... etc.

Is the switch you used -force-d3d10 then? And that works for you?

The worst thing to do is testing... testing and more testing. I didn't know we could push KSP this far though ;P For me, it's gonna be a cloud-less planets now... I don't really like clouds that don't move ;p

Tried out your 9k Kerbin texture, eRe4s3r. Didn't change my DX, running on Windows 7 with an i5-2500 and 8GB of RAM, runs beautifully, and Kerbin looks great, fantastic work! Shame you're not doing more, Laythe could use some love. :(

eRe4s3r: I noticed when I tested out your 9k textures that when zoomed in (at the same location, the launch site) the 9k actually looked less clear than the 8k which was surprising. I played around with the scaling myself, and the textures generated over 8k look distinctively less clear than the 8k ones. I'm guessing this is because of the scaling from the 16k source. Check it out:

124u9f8.png

Try out my 8k texture and tell me if you see the same thing:

Kerbin 8k PNG, 31mb

just a report, when using forced dx 11 the ram ussage of ksp reduced from 2,7 gb to just 1,4 gb for me

but there is so much shuttering image, and even all my rocket turn violet <= color .....

I hit this, too. There was so much texture tearing and stuttering that it wasn't bearable to look at.

On that turn *I* noticed now that using the d3d11 switch breaks the atmosphere of Kerbin and several other grapical features ;.; That's a bummer.

So I guess I should mention this in the mod posts... better to not use that switch after all. Although it means no 9k+ texture rendering... SIGH

Last thing today.. testing whether d3d10 switch works better....

eRe4s3r: I noticed when I tested out your 9k textures that when zoomed in (at the same location, the launch site) the 9k actually looked less clear than the 8k which was surprising. I played around with the scaling myself, and the textures generated over 8k look distinctively less clear than the 8k ones. I'm guessing this is because of the scaling from the 16k source. Check it out:

124u9f8.png

Try out my 8k texture and tell me if you see the same thing:

Kerbin 8k PNG, 31mb

Yes.. what you see there is why I pointed people to your 8k textures. But I wasn't 100% sure d3d10 would render high or not (it does not)

Without the D3D11 switch the rendering scales down the next mipmap (which isn't even 8k)

With the D3D11 switch you miss several graphic features although you get 9k+ texture rendering.

It seems 9k+ textures are not something people ought to really use. Sorry about that.

D3d10 switch does not trigger improved texture rendering.

Wow, Now I am stumped ,/

This is a clear thing then

Planet Textures should not be sized higher than 8k

Basically, this is a major issue with anything larger than 8k*4k and I clearly say here. People should get AncientGammoner 8k textures.

9k+ is not worth the missing effects (believe me) and AncientGammoner 8k textures work flawlessly. So there you have it ,) Experiment = Failed ;)

It's also important we note this down somewhere

1) D3D11 switch is heavily bugged

2) D3D10 switch does not include support for textures greater than 8k but is not bugged.

3) 9k textures require D3D11 switch... and without it, are inferior (i am estimating they are about 5k in reality without the d3d11 switch) to 8k textures

So planet texture artists beware, 8k is where you need to draw the line ;)

Edited by eRe4s3r

just a report, when using forced dx 11 the ram ussage of ksp reduced from 2,7 gb to just 1,4 gb for me

but there is so much shuttering image, and even all my rocket turn violet <= color .....

Using the switch and the 9k textures, I had the purple colored craft problem too, once I got any supersonic or reentry flame effects. I think I will downgrade to an 8k texture and remove the switch, seems to cause issues.

EDIT: I also ended up with some odd looking text in the resource display and the right click context menus.

Yes, the d3d11 toggle while allowing higher textures is completely bugged and without it, the 8k textures are superior (for... REASONS) . I removed links to the mods and will remove download links. Sadly this experiment failed ;P

Either way, both the textures are now uploaded and fixed, hopefully without glitches. What a quest this was. Results worth it? I say, yes! Although I prefer the "no clouds" version somewhat...

By the way, one can do the clouds differently than I did them. I set them to be a bit transparent (ie, you can faintly see what's underneath) so more texture artists may do better textures ;P I was more testing than being artsy today.

Either way. I need some testers, does it work without switch as well? Do you see differences forcing D3D10 or D3D11 ?

Try without the d3d11 switch then ^^ It is no longer required.

What hardware and OS? Just out of curiousity

And just for the record, it does not REQUIRE that switch, that is optional, try with first, if any issues, run without.

Without d3d11 or d3d10 switch you will NOT see the full texture quality of 9k+ textures, and in that case you should use the 8k textures linked in the thread. Visually there is a very slight difference and performance wise the d3d11 switch can have impact, but better 8k than nothing ;p

** Although I think I wouldn't want do another high res planet texture ;p

GTX 550ti

win 7 ultimate 32 bit (Too lazy to install 64bit version even having 8gb of ram)

Yes, the d3d11 toggle while allowing higher textures is completely bugged and without it, the 8k textures are superior (for... REASONS) . I removed links to the mods and will remove download links. Sadly this experiment failed ;P

Well it was a noble endeavor, and now we know the absolute upper limit of texture modding.

I'm kind of confused about all this. What are these 8k textures and where did they come from?

Read starting from here. And enjoy my misguided attempt of going even higher than 8k ;p

Also moderated posts showing up after we are 10 pages further. Heheh

Well it was a noble endeavor, and now we know the absolute upper limit of texture modding.

Indeed ;) And hey, we found 8k textures in the process as well. Which is a huge visual improvement all around.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Read starting from here. And enjoy my misguided attempt of going even higher than 8k ;p

Also moderated posts showing up after we are 10 pages further. Heheh

Well that explains everything.

I was kind of worried about becoming obsolete already :P

Give me a week at least!

Hi

Have you a software to convert a mbm file into readable image like JPEG, PNG? thank

Well that explains everything.

I was kind of worried about becoming obsolete already :P

Give me a week at least!

Have you plane to make the 8K texture ? Thank