[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

Currently I'm worknig on HD planets! Finished Dres, Eeloo and now doing bop. I hope by the end of the night I'll finish this project and release it.

May I ask:

How heavy are files?

Clouds/no clouds?

Are textures well aligned?

PNG?

What resolution? 9948x4974?

Edited by El wonso

May I ask:

How heavy are files?

Clouds/no clouds?

Are textures well aligned?

PNG?

What resolution? 9948x4974?

1. Each texture I made is about 2 mb

2. No clouds because there is no point after the cloud mod (And I have no idea how to make clouds :P)

3.Yes, but again I don't modifiey any planet with ocean in it....

4.Yeah

5.No idea, if you want I can give you a texture for example and you will tell me if it's in that resolution

(Sorry that I don't give good answer, I still do not fully understand how this thing works)

Sadly even with forced d3d11 KSP throws an "width out of range" error for the 16384 sized texture. So we are stuck at 9982 which apparently will only load for people with d3d10+ hardware anyway. hah, who'd have thought. For below D3D10 hardware, only 8192x4096 works.

I could post the cloud/ground texture for kerbin now, it's about 100mb, ram usage is still "ok" but it needs the d3d11 toggle for the cloud texture to work for some reason. Despite it working fine when that's a TGA, but that kills ram usage.

I just wanna say, there is a distinct quality difference when the d3d11 toggle is active so apparently it really is reducing the texture to whatever d3d9 supports if you don't set this switch.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Does KSP use dx10 by default? Or do I need a switch?

And how about dx10.1? Would it make any difference and do I need other switch (other than dx10 switch)?

Oh, and 1 more thing:

Despite it working fine when that's a TGA, but that kills ram usage.

How is that? I thought KSP converts files to DDS when starting, so how using different file types affects RAM usage?

Edited by El wonso
because I can

WARNING: This texture is not working correctly.

-force-d3d11 is needed to get the render quality of my screenshots, but -force-d3d11 also triggers several issues and lots of missing effects.

Download REMOVED because of large issues

kerbin1.png replaces your old kerbin1.png ;p

If you have d3d9 hardware - you will not see 9k+ textures even if yo install them, go for 8k sized textures.

If you have d3d10 hardware, -force-d3d10

If you have d3d11 hardware, -force-d3d11

If you have a black hole instead of Kerbin, your hardware does not support the d3d mode you enforced.

This is added at the end of the ksp shortcut (or via steam)

This can affect your performance. But d3d10/d3d11 switch is required for maximum quality.

Kerbin "maxium resolution" aligned ground texture + custom edits + D3D11 switch + AA 8 + (forced in driver) AF 16 , Not sure that switch does anything, but it feels cleaner with it on..

About 300km out (the "Sweet spot" )

ynIFqIDl.jpg

150km out

1CpB5w1l.jpg

The visual difference to 4k*2k sized textures extreme ;) Extra resolution really does help here.

##########################

(Rearranged Post)

Does KSP use dx10 by default? Or do I need a switch?

And how about dx10.1? Would it make any difference and do I need other switch (other than dx10 switch)?

Oh, and 1 more thing:

How is that? I thought KSP converts files to DDS when starting, so how using different file types affects RAM usage?

30 pages back we found a weird glitch when using TGA's.... and these were just 4k sized. Planet textures with their drastically larger sizes, would crash any modded KSP install (at least it does crash mine when using TGA's)

That d3d switch works as long as you have any type of modern GPU ;P Try it yourself, if your KSP starts with that switch = it works.

Sooo....

Edited by eRe4s3r

I have dx10.1 GPU and made a few tests:

With dx10 switch:

• 8k TGA - no glitches but MAD ram usage (2.5GB vs 1-1.7GB without TGA)
  • 16k PNG - glitchy

With dx11 switch:

• 16k PNG - still glitchy :<

Edited by El wonso

Yep, glitchy and throws error in ksp error.log with or without switch. Seems like it only accepts a 4 number value for the width. We need 5 ;p Anyhow, you can now download the 9k+ ground-only png texture for Kerbin. Cloud cover will come and then I am done with this.

This is as far as we can push it I am afraid ;P

So clouds+ground at 9k+ are coming in about 30 minutes.

Ps.: I also moved the clouds about 20% horizontally and fixed all seams the nasa clouds had. So the cloud texture from me will be *different* from all others (including clouds covering other locations) but the patterns will be the same.

Due to the massive size 1 single texture has, it's advised you only use 1 or at most 2 of these high resolution textures. Generally speaking. You should probably also remove any that you are not needing and only move em in if you need them.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Hey, you have changed aspect ratio. Ratio should be 2:1 (orginal 16k files have this) so resolution would be 9948x4974 (not 4992).

Both maths and gimp confirm that :)

E: your texture is glitchy for me every time and I think that's because of wrong aspect ratio.

Yes, I tried force switch.

About texture sizes - when I rescaled and converted original 16k texture to 8k PNG it has >180MB and I didn't notice it affecting my framerate. So remembmer (this is to anybody) to test first and remove then.

Edited by El wonso
because I can

WARNING: This texture is not working correctly.

-force-d3d11 is needed to get the render quality of my screenshots, but -force-d3d11 also triggers several issues and lots of missing effects.

Download REMOVED because of large issues

kerbin1.png replaces your old kerbin1.png ;p

If you have d3d9 hardware - you will not see 9k+ textures even if yo install them, go for 8k sized textures.

If you have d3d10 hardware, -force-d3d10

If you have d3d11 hardware, -force-d3d11

If you have a black hole instead of Kerbin, your hardware does not support the d3d mode you enforced.

This is added at the end of the ksp shortcut (or via steam)

This can affect your performance. But d3d10/d3d11 switch is required for maximum quality.

Kerbin "maxium resolution" aligned ground + cloud texture + custom edits + D3D11 switch + AA 8 + (forced in driver) AF 16 , Not sure that switch does anything, but it feels cleaner with it on.. I know I am missing "cloud shadows" but doing shadows would require actually working on this behemoth of a texture ;P

EG4rwIEl.jpg

rRLb8HVl.jpg

########################################################

Hey, you have changed aspect ratio. Ratio should be 2:1 (orginal 16k files have this) so resolution would be 9948x4974 (not 4992).

Both maths and gimp confirm that :)

E: your texture is glitchy for me every time and I think that's because of wrong aspect ratio.

Yes, I tried force switch.

Ah.. the error devil strikes again.. ;) But as you can see it works fine for me. Did you try resizing them to that corrected size? Try converting them to JPG if all fails (yes, not kidding) The PNG works for me only with the D3D11 switch

Nevertheless I will correct that. But this is a "pushing the boundary" texture. If it's glitched for you only thing you *can* do is resize it down to 8192*4096 then it will most definitely work.

It could also be you run out of VRAM here, if the texture is glitchy it'd be interesting to know how exactly, do make a screenshot.. I've seen all glitches by now ;P

Edited by eRe4s3r

That d3d switch works as long as you have any type of modern GPU ;P Try it yourself, if your KSP starts with that switch = it works.

Could you please elaborate on how that's done for those of us who don't know much about command line modifiers or how to do that?

Released v3.0

v3.0 - Fixed the compatibility issue with other mods like Kethane 0.75. Added support for StockPart Pods and Kerbals, also added a variety feature that will give Kerbal heads a random appearance - see 'Textures/Kerbals/Texture List.txt' for the head naming convention. (sorry, can't change the appearance based on a unique Kerbal - so random is the best we are going to get at the moment)

Without the switch, texture was reflecting light only in black colour.

Same for dx10 switch if I remember correctly.

With dx11 switch, the Kerbin was just black like a black hole (without curving light ofc ;))

Anyways, cutting a few pixels out fixes the problem.

Oh, and:

if your KSP starts with that switch = it works

may not be correct since KSP starts with forcing dx11 on dx10.1 hardware.

Edited by El wonso

Could you please elaborate on how that's done for those of us who don't know much about command line modifiers or how to do that?

Yeah

Right click on KSP.exe "Create shortcut"

Then right click on that shortcut, settings

In in the "target" tab you add the -force-d3d11 after the " .. like so

Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe" -force-d3d11

Without the switch, texture was reflecting light only in black colour.

Same for dx10 switch if I remember correctly.

With dx11 switch, the Kerbin was just black like a black hole (without curving light ofc ;))

Anyways, cutting a few pixels out fixes the problem.

Wow this is.. odd ;) It does not do this for me no matter what res. But I am uploading the fixed ground texture and the correct cloud texture right now...

Released v3.0

Awesome ;P

Edited by eRe4s3r

Wow this is.. odd ;) It does not do this for me no matter what res. But I am uploading the fixed ground texture and the correct cloud texture right now...

I think it about hardware, your GPU probably supports dx11 while mine does not.

Thanks for soon to be uploaded fix anyway ;)

Here are the 8k Kerbin textures I made, in both JPG and PNG format. I think I finally got the alignment pixel perfect and the quality is almost identical to the original scaled TIF. The JPG seems to render a little brighter in KSP than the PNG, but other than that the image quality is indistinguishable between the two.

Kerbin 8k JPG, 17mb

Kerbin 8k PNG, 31mb

I think it about hardware, your GPU probably supports dx11 while mine does not.

Thanks for soon to be uploaded fix anyway ;)

Thank you for testing this. Hardware is different everywhere and were it not for you I'd have never noticed there can be issues (nor that silly number error). Although I expected it, I knew 8k was highest D3D9 will go. But I won't upload 8k textures, my credo is pushing into the unknown, and 8k ain't the unknown ;P (and 1900 pixels more width and 950 more height does make a difference with the d3d11 switch..).

I hope people will see what is possible and carry this on. But (re)creating these textures is a real pain. At least, if you want aligned ground and clouds.

Anyhow,

9k textures + d3d11 switch are absolutely bugged

Edited by eRe4s3r

Hmm, I don;t know if you understood me correctly, I have no problem with 9k textures but ascpect ratio has to be precisely 2:1. My HW supports DirectX 10.1.

And by cutting out a few pixels I meant it ;) I erased 9948x18 px stripe, so the final resolution was 9948x4974, not 8192x4096.

But the problem is (I think):

• cutting pixels breaks alignment a bit (dunno if anyone would be able to see that)
  • resizing would lower the quality

Anyways, I will just use the one I fixed myself. Cheers!

E: you would not need to force dx11 after fixing this, just sayin' :cool:

Either way, both the textures are now uploaded and fixed, hopefully without glitches. What a quest this was. Results worth it? I say, yes! Although I prefer the "no clouds" version somewhat...

By the way, one can do the clouds differently than I did them. I set them to be a bit transparent (ie, you can faintly see what's underneath) so more texture artists may do better textures ;P I was more testing than being artsy today.

Either way. I need some testers, does it work without switch as well? Do you see differences forcing D3D10 or D3D11 ?

Forcing d3d11 is not working fine, my fps goes to 9 on space center.

Try without the d3d11 switch then ^^ It is no longer required.

What hardware and OS? Just out of curiousity

And just for the record, it does not REQUIRE that switch, that is optional, try with first, if any issues, run without.

Without d3d11 or d3d10 switch you will NOT see the full texture quality of 9k+ textures, and in that case you should use the 8k textures linked in the thread. Visually there is a very slight difference and performance wise the d3d11 switch can have impact, but better 8k than nothing ;p

** Although I think I wouldn't want do another high res planet texture ;p

Edited by eRe4s3r

Both fixed versions work for me with no need to force anything.

Dunno if KSP shows me full quality or texture is resized to 8k x 4k, im too lazy to check. Oh, and it's 4am in my country now ;)

Forcing dx11 on dx10.1 hardware causes same black hole effect as I mentioned before. So don't do that ;) <- piece of advice

Edited by El wonso

;p In mine too.. gonna drop out into the dreamlands now. In the end it's about giving people choice and new things to try out. In my tests you can notice the difference between 9k and "fallback" mode only when in orbit. From distance everything looks spiffy, 8k much more so than 4k of course. So yeah ;)

Tomorrow more experiments with new plugin features? ^^

Fixed my signature by the way, so you can find the mods always now.

Edited by eRe4s3r

I've decided to make a new series which in the end I'm going to compile it into a pack called "Meme system"

This time I made Eve into "Troll Eve" because when you land it's harder for you to take off, because the gravity is stronger there. Here's some pictures:

sXNZ9V4.jpg

tLmbmiR.jpg

9hyPKhs.jpg

Download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!0oQ1zRRZ!Myv09SXitnrn2gHKhJHy8g0SXrAvtuae3FGiX6w4H4I

Instructions: Put Eve in textures/planets

** Although I think I wouldn't want do another high res planet texture ;p

Oh, I was hoping for hi-res textures for the entire system ;)

I assume that alignment is the worst thing to do?

Tomorrow more experiments with new plugin features? ^^

Always happy to test!