Refueling?

Okay, if I create a station in space with fuel and a ship to dock to it... How do I refuel or transfer fuel from the station to the ship or vice versa? Does this involves setting action keys? What are all of the things I need to build into my crafts to make this happen?

Thanks for the replies... There really should be some kind of master control list in the game or somewhere showing all of the different things you can do in the game and the key combinations to do it. Is someone working on a instruction manual?

Thanks for the replies... There really should be some kind of master control list in the game or somewhere showing all of the different things you can do in the game and the key combinations to do it. Is someone working on a instruction manual?

No worries. I had to ask how to get a kerbal out of a hitchhiker canister. :)

• 1 year later...

Yup, most everything can be transferred between tanks via click, +Alt-click, +alt-click as many tanks as you like with the same resource containing capability. "In" will drain from all the other clicked tanks equally into the "in" tank, "out" distributes the tank contents to all other tanks.

Do you know if you can xfer mono propellant?? I keep getting space ships stranded because they use it all up. Then I can't dock them...

E

Yes. You can transfer any resource (fuel, oxidizer, monopropellant, electricity, anything), as long as the two things selected both have capacity for that resource.

Also, you can have more than two things selected. For example, if you select three fuel tanks, then clicking "Out" on one of them will transfer fuel to both the others, same deal with "In".

Thank you.... Worked!! 4 Kerbals saved. That capsule must have really started to get ripe after two weeks orditing....

E

- - - Updated - - -

Wondering if you could help me with a problem Im having with RCS. I can go sideways and rotate, but how do you go forward and backwards? I cant get it to work. When I hit the Shift key it turns the thrust on. Also the I, J, K etc doesn't work at all. How do you get the RCS to work correctly??

Thanks,

E

Wondering if you could help me with a problem Im having with RCS. I can go sideways and rotate, but how do you go forward and backwards? I cant get it to work. When I hit the Shift key it turns the thrust on. Also the I, J, K etc doesn't work at all. How do you get the RCS to work correctly??

Thanks,

E

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Key_bindings

The usual mappings are:

H - translate forwards

N - translate backwards

How do you mean I,J,K etc. don't work? They should translate you up, left, down etc.

Wondering if you could help me with a problem Im having with RCS. I can go sideways and rotate.... Also the I, J, K etc doesn't work at all.

How do you get the RCS to work correctly??

If you can go sideways (which is J and L), then IJKL have to be working, no?

If you can go sideways (which is J and L), then IJKL have to be working, no?

Should do - can the OP do a picture of what sort of thruster's you've installed and where you put them on your ship?

In theory, you could have a ship that could only thrust in one axis ... in theory.

Wemb

Do you know if you can xfer mono propellant?? I keep getting space ships stranded because they use it all up. Then I can't dock them...

E

You shouldn't be using up so much MP to require refueling, something is wrong here.

• Are you bringing enough MP?
  • Are you expending too much?
  • Are there enough RCS ports to provide adequate thrust?
  • Are you executing proper rendezvous maneuvers?

How to properly dock limited-resource crafts in Kerbin Orbit

1. Lift-Off
  2. Gravity Turn
    • You should turn in the same direction as your target

[*]Raise Apoapsis to about the same altitude as your target

• It doesn't have to be exact, but it should be very close, within 10kM

[*]Circulate, keep your Periapsis above 70kM but below the target's PE

[*]Adjust your inclination to 0.0 (or NaN)

• Ascending Node requires Anti-Normal burns, in case you get those confused.

[*]Time Warp until the 2 crafts are within 10kM of each other

[*]Click the navball where it says Surface/Orbit/Target until it shows "Target"

• Your navball will now be set to movements relative to the target instead of orbit, this is VERY important.

[*]Burn in the Retro-Grade direction until your velocity is between 1 and 3 meters/sec RELATIVE to your target.

• It can't be ZERO due to a current bug in the game, your targeting navigation will disable.

[*]Slow-Burn in your Target's direction, 20M/s should be enough.

[*]Keeping your ship locked to target, Enable RCS and use the HIJKLN keys to maneuver your ship to the target.

• Your Prograde indicator and your Target indicator should be kept aligned to your navball pointer.
  • You shouldn't need a lot of adjustment, you'll just be making small course changes here.

[*]Once you're within 2kM of the target, bring your speed down to about 5M/s and then down to 0.5 M/s for the final docking approach

[*]Dock with your target, sit back with a smug smile on your face.

if you follow this guide and with some practice, you won't need to use more than 200 units of MP to dock successfully.

Edited by Xyphos

Thanks,

E

Are you using docking mode? Don't use docking mode.

E

I turn off SAS when I have RCS enabled most of the time. If I need to stabilize my rotation or lock prograde, reaction wheels in command pod are usually enough, although slow for large craft. Only time I might have both enabled at same time is final seconds of docking procedure.

Essentially I keep RCS turned off and let reaction wheels do most of the work except when I need fine tuned lateral movement for docking.

SAS+RCS can eat up alot of monopropellant as the ship wiggles around and SAS expends monopropellant to stabilize.

• 7 months later...

You should be able to with any of the docking ports, once docked the 2 ships become one entity, it's possible your ports haven't connected properly, do you get the option to undock if you right click on the port, or do the [ or ] keys switch between the 2 parts of the ship (ie they're still separate ships)? 

I think there is an option if you right click on the connected ports to turn off cross feeding so check you've not got that selected. 

You also can't transfer fuel when running at accelerated time.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

3 hours ago, dino1984 said:

What docking port I need to transfer fuel? I docked up using first port available (clamp-o-tron) and I can't transfer fuel :( 

Do I need anything else (should ship be manned or something?)?

Any docking port will work.  You can transfer fuel between any tanks that are part of a single connected group of parts.  The tanks could be on the same ship as each other, or on different ships connected by docking ports (any size), or even one ship that's grabbed another via the Klaw.  Heck, you could even have two ships klawed onto an asteroid, and transfer fuel from one ship to the other through the asteroid.  KSP is very permissive, that way.  ;)

To do a transfer:

• Select two or more tanks so that their right-click UI is showing.
  • To do this, right click one tank, then for each additional tank you hold down the ALT key while right-clicking it.
  • As soon as two or more tanks are selected, you'll see "In" and "Out" buttons appear on their right-click UIs.  You can click those buttons to transfer fuel.

Note that if you're playing in career mode, you have to upgrade the science facility before you can do this.  If you're selecting the tanks, and see the UI for each of the various tanks, but there's no "in" or "out" button on them, then likely this is your problem.

On 16/07/2015 at 7:06 PM, ebphoto said:

Thank you.... Worked!! 4 Kerbals saved. That capsule must have really started to get ripe after two weeks orditing....

E

- - - Updated - - -

h and n for forwards and back - though this may still not work depending on the sort of thrusters you used and where you put them - e.g. if you used Vernor or linear 'place-anywhere' thrusters and put them round the side of your ship, you'll probably only be able to rotate and translate in two axis and not go forward and back, whereas the thruster blocks will work in all three.

Wemb

I have stupidly managed to build ships which translate in two (i.e. four) directions but not three (six). I've also managed to fine-tune my RCS thrusters while not re-enabling symmetry mode in the VAB, only to find out in orbit that I have one thruster instead of four.

If that sort of idiocy is not the case for you, IJKL and HN should work fine. As someone else has said, don't use docking mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.