[IMPORTANT RESEARCH - PLEASE HELP]. Figuring the average LKO altitude.

AncientAstronaut

From 80 to 110km for low tier satellites and probes (and mostly debris).

From 110 to 190km for shuttles and others experimental stuff.

From 190 to 210km for Space Stations.

From 210 to 2000km for high tier satellites.

This is only for Kerbin, I have other rules for different planets.

All orbits are almost perfectly circular. I don't care if debris aren't in a circular orbit.

Usually 100km x 100km.

Current save:

80km: Munar shuttle refueling station

90km: A satellite

100km: The debris of 20+ launches, two space stations <<< 100km is my usual launch orbit for pretty much everything, including anything that will go higher

150km: Another satellite

2868km: 3 satellites and a Jebediah Kerman* <<< Synchronous Orbit *directly above KSC

84000km: "How slow can I go in an orbit around Kerbin" probe

Generally 125 km if I have to do any rendezvous, since it makes the warp quicker if I don't get the window right. Stations usually go at 80 and 250 km. I generally build launch vehicles that are a bit overpowered for a simple 75-80km orbit anyways, so it's not usually a problem getting stuff up that high.

125 works good for manned missions unless they're extremely heavy, as it gives you the extra warp factor if you're transferring to the mun or minmus.

I go mostly for 90 km at launch and my station is parked at 100 km altitude... but I guess that even 100 km altitude is more than enough for a station. Real world ISS is orbiting at 420 km whereas the Earth's got just 10 times bigger equatorial radius... that would mean that you'd be in a same position above Kerbin when orbiting at 42 km altitude... so 100 km altitude is just enough for me :)

It was always 100km for me in 0.20. But at the moment I'm doing a program similar to the campaign on the Wiki, and I've started doing 69km for satellites to help reduce space debris. The satellites own thrusters push it above 70km after that :)

I bumped my station orbit to 125~130km primarily to be within the elevation that will give me 50x time warp . . . I can be infinitely patient when actually flying, rendezvous, docking, but I hate just waiting for my stuff to finish crawling around from the backside of the planet . . .

I put my LKO refueling stations at 125, I usually do orbital assembly for interplanetary craft a bit lower (for easy transfers), my standard LKO for satellites and non-rendezvous stuff is usually 80-105, and lastly, my interplanetary transfer parking orbit is typically 75.

~74 if its a craft with standard TWR for transfer

~85 for more difficult crafts (low TWR LV-N stage)

<70 for performance flights.

If you want to pick one for research go with 74

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.