• I got it off the Ground!
    • Yay orbit!
    • I'm at the mun!
    • interplanetary travel!
    • interplanetary travel and return!
    • I'm Very confident in what I do!
    • Jool is a joke to me!
    • I'm Scott Manely!

I had a florishing SSTO program, which I abandoned because...

"rockets are soooooo much faster"- Official Report by NAA Offical

As of now, I'm imposing self-restriants on myself to prevent myself from immediately colonizing Moho because "the tech ain't not good right now". But otherwise, it is extremely varied.

I'm probably the ONLY KSP player to completely skip past the moon, as I see Duna as a extremely good colonization target (Easy to get to, good for parachute spam, yet thin enough for jetpacking), which has resulted in the cancellation of my Munar Exploration Programmes in order to focus funds onto the maintance and extending of the large research colony i have on Duna.

I've uncovered NERVA's, which I am using to great effect in my manned missions to Tylo/Laythe and the establishment of a permenant Kerbal presence in a large station in Laythe orbit.

However, in light of this, I have yet to do an successful lunar landing and return, and despite the successes of my spaceplanes, not one has left Kerbin SOI under it's own power. I'm just...odd. When you see Kerbin in my savegame, ou see almost no satellites but a small military survillience station that utilizes extremely primitive technologies (It is eight years old).

But when you see Duna, you see tons of orbiters, a spacestation around both Duna AND Ike, infrastructure on the ground, the works.

I've mastered precision landing....but not retrobraking and lunar landings.

I've mastered spaceplanes, but don't use them.

I've mastered interplanetary travel...but impose upon myself restrictionsto prevent my colonization from getting too out of hand.

I pulled off a single launch, manned mission to eeloo with KIDS on the FAR -> real life setting. It took like 17 years game time and needed a big ol' gravity kick from jool to make it. (If only I could see encounters for orbits further ahead...)

I went with 'interplanetary travel and return!' though 'very confident' may be a better description, I dunno. I've never used mechjeb or any other autopilots. I've sent Kerbed missions to Mun, Minmus, Eve orbit, Ike, Duna, and Laythe (all with successful return trips). I have large-ish bases on Mun, Minmus, and Ike, space stations at those + Duna, and I've sent at least a mapping satellite everywhere except Jool's airless moons.

I've never run out of fuel and had to send a rescue mission, though the Laythe excursion was a real nail-biter. Jim and Billy-Bobfrey just barely made it back to Laythe orbit. I had to use the KSS Discovery I mothership to do the orbital rendezvous burns.

Lately I've been experimenting with aircraft. I have yet to build a successful SSTO, but my 2-stage turbojet plane + rocket plane combo can put two Kerbals in orbit.

I have reached a high level of comfortability with orbital mechanics, orbital operations, and general rocket design. As well, I am extremely proud of my shuttle program and my aircraft. What I struggle with is building VTOL craft and realistic payloads for traditional rockets. What I would like to master is basebuilding techniques and designing craft and parts that fit within a payload bay or fairings for traditional rockets. If I can do ANYTHING in KSP with those parameters, I will have considered myself an accomplished player of the game. Until then, I am about 2-3 levels below Scott Manley.

On the new 0.22 save I'm currently on a program of interplanetary manned missions with return home, hopefully picking the solitary kerbsi left stranded on different worlds on my manned rovers. Current mission is landed on Duna very very far away from the rover, waiting for it to cover the distance to get there to initiate return home :P

What can I say, interplanetary travel and return simply because that's as far as I've proven myself. The problem is every time I think about leaving Kerbin's SOI I find a new project or some other way to play with the game and SHINY RED BALL WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Edited by WafflesToo
I hate my phone so much

Noone is at Scott Manley's skill level. He is THE Chuck Norris of KSP.

He may be the Chuck Norris of KSP from name alone, but he's not the best KSP player by any means. I don't know how many times it needs to be said.

Also, blame the OP for putting "I'm Scott Manley!" instead of "I'm better than Scott Manley" as the poll option.

I seem to be dead-center in the bell curve. Interplanetary travel, but no returns yet. I'm sticking to unmanned probes until I feel a bit more comfortable with bigger ships... and/or upgrade my computer to handle said bigger ships.

I can get to Duna with my eyes closed.

Honestly, Jool is the easiest planet to get to in my opinion, the SOI is insane! it's hard to miss it.

That's true except for the unforgiving amount of Delta V required, and only a minuscule amount have accomplished getting to Jool and back, in a single launch.

I voted for "I'm Very confident in what I do!".... unfortunately the rockets still blow up lol.

Hey, but how many others of you are building their own rocket ship in the spare room... SIMULATORS ROCK! Coming up in the next few weeks... A real, physical NavBall... THAT WORKS! (built about 9 so far and every one had a fault but I think I've nailed all the bugs now).

Interplanetary travel and return.

Though the later I don't do much. My issue is more time related than skill related. I just don't have the play time I need anymore. That said, I've returned missions from Duna (ground) and Eve (orbit) for manned missions (not including Mun and Minmus). I've also returned probes from Dres and Jool.

Pretty much there isn't a mission profile that scares me, other than, sort of, Moho return, Tylo/Laythe landing and return and Eve landing and return. Everything, but Eve, would be because my laptop would groan at the size of ship required for the mission.

Eve...because, well I think Eve scares anyone whos smart. Only the geniuses and the stupid undertake an Eve landing and return (with no cheats).

Interplanetary travel and return.

Though the later I don't do much. My issue is more time related than skill related. I just don't have the play time I need anymore. That said, I've returned missions from Duna (ground) and Eve (orbit) for manned missions (not including Mun and Minmus). I've also returned probes from Dres and Jool.

Pretty much there isn't a mission profile that scares me, other than, sort of, Moho return, Tylo/Laythe landing and return and Eve landing and return. Everything, but Eve, would be because my laptop would groan at the size of ship required for the mission.

Eve...because, well I think Eve scares anyone whos smart. Only the geniuses and the stupid undertake an Eve landing and return (with no cheats).

Get the clouds plugin. Then it's scarier, because visibility is so damn low. When I landed my first probe on Eve I couldn't see anything past half a kilometer. It's that bad. But I like it, as it gives the planet a feeling of being mysterious and a death world.

As for landings?

One was attempted. It went onto a suborbital trajectory, but rendezvoused with the orbiting craft. Because I didn't have enough fuel or propellant to dock, I EVA'd all my kerbals to the other ship.

That's true except for the unforgiving amount of Delta V required, and only a minuscule amount have accomplished getting to Jool and back, in a single launch.

Ha, I went to Jool on tier-0 parts, via Duna then Eve. Once I got there, I landed on Pol and Bop, and made it back to the Kerbin system with enough fuel to establish a stable Mun orbit first before landing back on Kerbin. Just a little dV can go a long way XD

Ha, I went to Jool on tier-0 parts, via Duna then Eve. Once I got there, I landed on Pol and Bop, and made it back to the Kerbin system with enough fuel to establish a stable Mun orbit first before landing back on Kerbin. Just a little dV can go a long way XD

Well good for you

One way interplanetary travel and manual rendezvous and docking are about as far as my skills and patience take me at the moment. However after trying mechjeb recently I'm not sure i can ever force myself to take the hour it takes me to rendezvous and dock. Interplanetary trips are very rare for me as they are a pain to set up and really easy to mess up once you do get a launch window (Ex. over time accelerating, forgetting to deploy solar panels or bring extra power, having just enough fuel for a flyby of your target planet and watching your dreams of landing become more and more distant etc...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.