Poll: Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship to come rescue the Kerbals?

Spyritdragon

Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your first Mun landing need a rescue ship?

• No, i made it there and heroically came back with a single craft.
    • Yes, i heroically picked up the stranded Kerbals and brought them safely back home.
    • Yes, and the rescue ship got very heroically stuck on the Mun.
    • Yes, but we tried anyway and my Kerbals died a heroic death :-(

I didn't have quite enough fuel left in my tank to make it back to Kerbin atmo. But I didn't send a rescue mission - nobody tells stories of that time when someone else had to come save your bacon. No, here at KRASH, you try to save your own bacon first!

NotCloseEnough_zpscb43d890.png

Samhat Kerman did what any brave Kerbal should do to remedy the solution - he got out and pushed. After several EVAs, he managed to lower the Periapsis of his craft to enter Kerbin's atmosphere (though aerobraking was long and at a terrifyingly low altitude due to the orbit). I was still glowing hot at 14km, well below when most re-entry has cooled off. But I made it back safely!

WouldItHelp_zps6e42eb66.png

SafelyHome_zpsa2280b74.png

In your images, how do you get the stars to be like that?

I installed the KSP demo on my PC and my first launch put a stayputnik into orbit successfully. My second launch had a crew of one kerbal and was over-engineered as it later transcribed. Upon reaching LKO I realised I had enough fuel to attempt a free return around the Mun. When I arrived there I decided to enter Munar orbit. Still there was fuel so the only thing for it was to attempt a landing. I crash landed (I had not equipped the rocket with landing legs) but the kerbal walked away. He became unresponsive after an accident on the surface involving the rocket debris and I thought he was dead. So I uninstalled the demo, purchased and downloaded the full version (0.19). I will never know for certain, what was his name and was he dead or just temporarily unconscious? But I sure had a lot of fun.

I tried twice... the first one landed, and broke one of the landin legs... and an engine, making the ship useless... The second one, was a wonderful success! It landed at 1km from the objetive, but i had to do 2 rover trips... 3 kermans, 1 rover, just 2 seats... DAMN BORING!

Right before I bought the game I landed on Mun in the Demo, with only the one-man capsule as an option. When I landed I broke a leg and my lander ended up on its side.

Undaunted, I fired up the engine and used the ridiculously OP ASAS to right my craft as it was speeding up over the surface. I got into Mun orbit and then transferred back to Kerbin with no further problems. Woo hoo!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.