KSP "Great Game" (RULES DRAFTING IN PROGRESS!)

Holo

I'm not great at coming up with stuff, but I'm generally pretty good at figuring out if something will be good or bad. I'll see if I can help at all in that way =3

That's an excellent mix, because I'm good at coming up with stuff but not at knowing whether it would actually work in a real game :D. I'm posting some proposals for rules in the forum, you can check them there. If you don't have a webs account, they're still viewable in read only mode, so you can discuss them here.

-Thomas

EDIT: Just noticed your account on the website, welcome! You have the great honour of being the first actual member.

Edited by Holo

Yup haha XD I've been wanting to do something with a group in KSP for a while now, and this seems more interesting than anything else I've seen so far, I just hope I will have the time for it with school and work lol. My workload should be lessening though, so we'll see how that goes XD

This seems interesting, so I guess I'll follow too.

If you want to speed things along, I've made a bunch of discussions you can contribute to on the site :)

Here's my thoughts on combat as posted there a few minutes ago:

Combat

The combat strengths of both sides will be added up. Each unit will have a different combat strength, which will be decided and put in the rules. For example, an infrantry unit might have a strength of 1 and a tank unit might have a strength of 4 (it should also be proportional to technology - a nuclear-age unit should be more powerful than an industrial-age one). These combat strengths are compared as a ratio, with the attacker going first and the defender going second.

Kersia has 10 infrantry units. Kegypt has 15 infantry units. They both have WWII era technology. This means that their combat strength ratios are 1:1.5.

This is then consulted against the following table. If it does not match the ratios listed perfectly, round it to the nearest ratio. If it is exactly between two, round in favour of the weakest party.

9A5ad44.png

x:y represents that x% of the attacker's units are destroyed and y% of the defender's units are destroyed. The party which loses the units decided exactly which ones die, as long as they add up to x% of their total combat strength.

Kersia attacks with its ratio of 1:1.5. Checking against the table, we see that Kegypt loses 20% of its units and Kersia loses 60%. This leaves Kegypt with 12 infrantry units left and Kersia with 4 units left. A tactical victory for Kegypt.

Each round of combat, when calculated in this way, represents one month (30 6-hour Kerbin days) of combat.

zC9n12I.png

I've made a list of naval units that could be made in The Game (as well as masses so shipping costs to Laythe can be worked out). Does anyone know about the relative combat strengths of these ships? My above thoughts on combat work on infantry units (= 1 regiment?), so it would be good if someone could shed some light on boats vs. infantry in terms of raw combat strength.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This interests me a great deal. I'd need a bit of time to think of any ideas, but I'll definitely try to help make this thing happen.

Excellent, this thread has came back from the dead. I'll make a draft of the rules, to see if anyone here can improve them.

EDIT: Also, there a little in the name of established rules or gameplay axioms yet. You can just post stuff you think would be cool right now.

Edited by Holo

I know, I noticed. On the topic of potentially involving Civ 4 I saw a few pages back, what if we used this mod as the base for an attempt at that? It does already contain some features allowing for dynamic development of your nation's culture, identity, and specialties.

I know, I noticed. On the topic of potentially involving Civ 4 I saw a few pages back, what if we used this mod as the base for an attempt at that? It does already contain some features allowing for dynamic development of your nation's culture, identity, and specialties.

Cool, if anyone interested in the project has Civ IV, they could play through a game with this (on a Kerbin map) and report on how things go.

If not, I made this preliminary map:

fH1i1HV.png

I'll see about converting the map of Kerbin into a map for that mod, might make an interesting side project. I'd ask what your thoughts were about having a New World sort of deal set up with a continent, but as Kerbin appears to be essentially a Pangaea that kind of rules that one out.

EDIT: Which does, actually, raise an interesting thought. Kerbin isn't going to have any sort of Old World/New World divide going on in all likelihood. How would that affect their development?

Edited by doom3607

EDIT: Which does, actually, raise an interesting thought. Kerbin isn't going to have any sort of Old World/New World divide going on in all likelihood. How would that affect their development?

I've made a post on /r/worldbuilding on this topic: www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/1p9kvk/how_would_history_develop_in_a_world_where_all/. Hopefully we'll get some good answers.

this looks like it'll get somewhere, if we get it back on it's rails.

Back on its rails it shall go, then. From the worldbuilding thread, a kind person made this map:

R9qjBaN.jpg

Red areas are where there is much political turmoil. The purple area is a band of more advanced civilisation. The gaps in the purple area are less advanced.

I propose that each player draws their own borders on the map. Depending on which tiles their borders encompass, their nation gets certain disadvantages or advantages. Final tech and infrastructure levels for each nation will be decided by me.

This is the basic map (posted earlier here):

OntmKus.png

No more that 12 tiles please.

• 2 weeks later...

Krakennistan_zps7da36404.png

I claim these islands as mine by right, under the name of Zuni Jeb Kraken. I name this great new nation "Krakennistan". May the Krakkenistinians go forth to victory.

~Zuni

Edited by Zuni

Ah good, another revival. Zuni, we are working on creating an online civ-style game where people control Kerbal nations.

There are two problems with this:

• There is no rulebook
  • There are no kerbal nations

Currently we're working on both. Thanks for helping with the second! When we get going, switch over to kerbalgreatgame.webs.com so we can avoid accidently breaking any rules about roleplaying.

Also, how did you get such an awesome looking line on the map? It looks glorious.

EDIT:

I've begun to rectify the issue of not having a rulebook. If you have a google account, message me on the forums and I'll add you to the list of approved editors.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-7y4_YGPCNZLm9sLV9QAQyAurFtkwZY0UsOSqZCjrs/edit?usp=sharing

Anyone else can still leave comments on segments of the rules for an approved editor to come along and resolve.

Edited by Holo

Also, how did you get such an awesome looking line on the map? It looks glorious.

I use a program called Pixelmator. I would really recommend it, worth way more than the $15 or whatever it is. Mmm, anti alias :P

I do have an account on Google. Unfortunately, however, I have zero skill in this sort of game although most seem a whole lot more interesting than new ones (I'm from this generation). So maybe you could make a document which explains general stuff to absolute noobs like me?

Edited by Zuni

I use a program called Pixelmator. I would really recommend it, worth way more than the $15 or whatever it is. Mmm, anti alias :P

I do have an account on Google. Unfortunately, however, I have zero skill in this sort of game although most seem a whole lot more interesting than new ones (I'm from this generation). So maybe you could make a document which explains general stuff to absolute noobs like me?

What kind of stuff could I include in it? I'm now planning on including a general overview of the type of game at the top of the rulebook.

EDIT:

MZtlu0D.png

Political map of the world so far.

Edited by Holo

I claim this area for land for the United Proviences, a Kerbal nation based off the United States of America.

CYmncZK.png

7Pr9GFS.png

Also, I've added some details about secondary production to the rule book. Next up is transportation of all kinds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.