[0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also

PolecatEZ

I spoke with the creator and he said he will not be updating it. He asked if anyone wanted the Source Code and he will give full rights to them to further improve and update this mod.

Can we get an update to your texture pack reduction thread any time soon?

Probably not, but anyone that wishes is welcome to do what I did. I have no license restrictions on my work. I can post instructions if you think it is needed.

Unless the file structure changes for gamedata/squad, this pack won't go out of date until someone comes up with a better way to reduce texture sizes. I see there has been some progress on that front, but I'm not sure if it does the same thing.

This pack should work as normal, at about 99% of the efficiency as before. Leaving the hi-rez textures for just the new parts won't kill your system.

I don't think you guys are installing it correctly then because this mod works just fine for myself. As for B9, it already has a reduced size optional install which makes this texture pack reduction for B9 obsolete. As for the Squad pack, it does reduce the majority of the parts but its not updated completely with all parts just yet unless someone wants to take that task upon them.

There's also this mod now, it compresses textures on the fly. People have been getting really great memory savings with it:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-1-1-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod

Yep, it is great, and will be the next best thing to 64. For now though, the newest versions of that mod seriously bork up a lot of textures, and will make your game look absolutely (almost unplayable) terrible. New config files have to be written for each part of each mod to avoid this, so reduction packs still have a place in KSP.

Edited by Bloodbunny

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I had quite some RAM issues lately (before .23 it worked w/o problems, but now it doesn't - might be a couple of new mods...), but with this mod I can even have firefox open and it still works :>

I'm experiencing only one issue: when I just wanted to start my new MapSat, it says it deleted my all my flag-"flights" due to a missing part. Why is that? Anyone else having that problem? I mean, it's only flags, but... still. You know? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you made a backup of the Squad folder. Otherwise find a way to re-download the game as the reduction packs *replace* textures with lower resolution ones.

i did make a back up and a back up of the back up which i not only replaced the normal parts but replaced the first back up just to be sure

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried following the install instructions for Mac and it doesn't work. For one, I don't have any application to run the script on, and terminal doesn't do anything when I put in the script.

With KW, I followed the instructions shown and it make all my KW craft unable to load.

I'm confused.

I've tried following the install instructions for Mac and it doesn't work. For one, I don't have any application to run the script on, and terminal doesn't do anything when I put in the script.

With KW, I followed the instructions shown and it make all my KW craft unable to load.

I'm confused.

I used to play on Mac so I understand that. If you're looking for improved performance, it might be simpler to use rbray89's Texture Compressor. Basic works well for a few mods here and there, but aggressive apparently replaces the need for texture reductions. :)

Link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-15-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

I'm confused.

See my post here.

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried installing this and it corrupted my original squad files and basically did nothing in the way of helping my game go faster. Chances are this happened because I don't really now what I am doing with computers often and didn't install the mod correctly. For more explanation, it made more than half of the parts pure white figures. If someone could enlighten me on what to do to remedy this I would appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...

As an FYI to the mod author, here's a PowerShell script that deletes the .TGAs from a directory if there's a .PNG in it that shares the same name. The inteded usage is something like:

<script name> B9_Aerospace

Which would cause it to execute the following, and remove the redundant TGAs from B9 Aero's directory.

Param(
[string]$directory
)

if(Test-Path $directory)
{
$items = Get-ChildItem -Path $directory -Recurse -Include *.tga;

$deletion = @();

foreach($item in $items)
{
if(
Test-Path(
$item.Directory.ToString() + "\" + $item.Name.Split(".")[0].ToString() + ".png"
)
)
{
$deletion += $item.FullName.ToString();
}

}

foreach($del in $deletion)
{
Remove-Item $del;
}
}
else
{
Write-Output "Please provide a valid directory as the argument";
}

It still works on about 95% of the parts. I highly recommend using the Active texture reduction mod instead, as it does the exact same thing but in a more dynamic fashion. The only advantage this would have is reduced load times for the first run of the mod, after the second or subsequent times you run the game, active texture reduction mod is a clearly better choice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.