[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

Ah, that works? Great, makes things easier for Nertea. :P But man, that's a lot of stuff to learn.

Almost done with segmenting the mods into individual entries, then I can start writing the actual files... so far it looks like there will be 12 of them. Maybe 13.

Ah, that works? Great, makes things easier for Nertea. :P But man, that's a lot of stuff to learn.

Almost done with segmenting the mods into individual entries, then I can start writing the actual files... so far it looks like there will be 12 of them. Maybe 13.

I'm assuming this will mean updating and adding to the 9 NetKAN entries we currently have for NearFuture, CryoEngines and Stockalike Stationparts rather than writing 12-13 new ones?

I'll certainly be looking at those that exist already, yes. Would be quite silly not to :P The main changes will be dependencies, recommendations and suggestions, as well as accounting for the 1.0 changes in folder structure. I'm also getting Nertea to OK the whole batch of 'em so that there's something that can be stamped as "official".

Some of the optional extras and the things that have potential for standalone use will get migrated out into separate entries, to avoid for example users installing NF Propulsion with all the extras when they want none of them. There's already two extras now in Propulsion alone, and I can imagine a potential third (though that ultimately depends on how hoojiwana wants to handle things). And Electrical also comes with an extra now...

Edited by Streetwind

I think it would still be better to put KSPAPIe in its own folder, installing duplicates of mods because of internal structure like that is an issue you can also run into when installing mods manually. Having a separate folder in GameData for every included dependency is simply a good practice.

Edited by PickledTripod
typo

Yeah I will move the KSPAPIE dll to its own folder. Really, I'm open to minor changes in structure all the time, whatever makes things easier. I just rather dislike seeing CKAN support requests, so I'd like to just solve this once and for all, and not have to worry about it in the future.

Okay, so we now know why waiting for 1.03 was (and still is) a good idea.

According to yesterday's Squadcast, KSP will internalize Deadly Reentry's skin system (though coded by Squad themselves, not using DR code). Means everything heat related is going to change in some way.

It's also "probably not [coming] next week either". Welp.

Hm... my attempts to get NFT and DRE along stalled at the point where radiators' equalization and critical temperatures are approximately half of that without DRE.

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleGenericRadiator]]:FOR[DeadlyReentry]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
skinHeatConductivity = 1
skinThicknessFactor = 0.99
skinMaxTemp = 1900
}
@maxTemp=1900
}

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleStaticRadiator]]:FOR[DeadlyReentry]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleAeroReentry
skinHeatConductivity = 1
skinThicknessFactor = 0.99
skinMaxTemp = 1900
}
@maxTemp=1900
}

But anyway, that might become irrelevant soon.

1.0.3 could bring some possibilities. For example, radiators could have a switchable: either draw heat from skin, or 'pierce' the skin. Reactor core could be described in stock terms...

But another rewrite and rebalance... Hang in there, Nertea!

Another week, another devnote tuesday. So 1.03 is not coming out for another two weeks at least. It looks like it really has stopped being a hotfix and started being a substantial update in its own right.

Think it might be worthwhile putting out 1.02 compatible versions of electrical and propulsion after all? I mean, they do work reasonably well. And with 1.03 getting bigger and bigger, it takes the pressure off of you to update right away after it drops because "people are waiting".

It's like with waiting for computer hardware to release the next best thing... you'll just end up waiting forever :P At some point you have to make the call whether or not it makes sense to just go for it now.

Another week, another devnote tuesday. So 1.03 is not coming out for another two weeks at least. It looks like it really has stopped being a hotfix and started being a substantial update in its own right.

Think it might be worthwhile putting out 1.02 compatible versions of electrical and propulsion after all? I mean, they do work reasonably well. And with 1.03 getting bigger and bigger, it takes the pressure off of you to update right away after it drops because "people are waiting".

It's like with waiting for computer hardware to release the next best thing... you'll just end up waiting forever :P At some point you have to make the call whether or not it makes sense to just go for it now.

Agreed. I plan on playing 1.0.2 for a while still, let them figure out what they went and broke in 1.0.3 before I start playing 1.0.4 (when they fix what they broke in 1.0.3)

Indeed, I am displeased. Might as well dump this out as well as the next set of NF pack updates. I'll try to clean up the remaining issues in the next few days then. I can't remember what those issues are, so time to go hunting.

---- edit ------

Please note your questions and concerns here within the next 12 hours and I'll try to get to them.

Edited by Nertea

/me starts spinning up the modlist for his next save

NearFuture Propulsion and Electrical are two cornerstones I just haven't been able to make do without. Also hoping they'll make the later parts of my CTT a tad bit more populated :D

I'm fine waiting until after 1.0.3 for the new NF Electrical update because I don't want to end up loosing craft due to having to wait for another update. I myself suspect it will take a while for the update to NFElectrical because supposedly a new heating system is coming with 1.0.3.

I'm fine waiting until after 1.0.3 for the new NF Electrical update because I don't want to end up loosing craft due to having to wait for another update. I myself suspect it will take a while for the update to NFElectrical because supposedly a new heating system is coming with 1.0.3.

Its not really new, its just different. I won't break anything updating to it.

Well, I was just thinking of the two missing packs for starters, but whatever you feel makes sense :)

The other ones are literally just sitting on my HD waiting for 1.03. Its actually less work to release them now.

Last tests. I appreciate any checking anyone can do, but things seem to work pretty well... Few things I'm not super happy with but it's good enough.

NFPropulsion 0.5.0 RC2

NFElectrical 0.5.0 RC1

HeatControl 0.1.0 RC1

HeatControl's dll is included in NFElectrical, but to keep things lean the universal radiators, insulators and heat pipes are moved to the separate HeatControl.

Edited by Nertea

Last tests. I appreciate any checking anyone can do, but things seem to work pretty well... Few things I'm not super happy with but it's good enough.

NFPropulsion 0.5.0 RC2

NFElectrical 0.5.0 RC1

HeatControl 0.1.0 RC1

HeatControl's dll is included in NFElectrical, but to keep things lean the universal radiators, insulators and heat pipes are moved to the separate HeatControl.

Do the heat pipes work on the LV-N?

Edited by Donziboy2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.