[WIP] Nert's Dev Thread - Current: such nuke, wow

Nertea

I'm locking off the adapters for initial rerelease at 3:

• Mk4 to 1x Mk3 and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)
  • Mk4 to 1x 3.75m and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)
  • Mk4 to 2x 2.5m and 2x 1.25m (shoulder)

They're modeled, unwrapped and waiting for the textures to be finished.

I have completed the service bay. It has 3 hatches that open that are enough to fit an EVA kerbal through (I tested!). It's also just pretty cool looking :).

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/mk4servicebay.png

Those look great!

New engines look interesting! That spike nozzle looks heavy. Hollow drone core will be so nice to have. I had a double ended cargo ramp carryall type thing, and had to bolt a little probe nacelle to the outside since the old core had, well, a core.

As far as adapters go, there are a lot of possibilities, but not all of them are worth doing.

One that might be kinda fun is mkIV-5x 1.25m in a row. Kinda like NFC's trilinear, but spaceplane and 5. You have the two lump ones on either end, and three more bridging the gap between them. Maybe not too practical, but maybe kinda cool.

Can't wait to be building mkIV craft again.

How about odd numbers of 1.25m nodes in general? It would be very versatile considering the variety of 1.25m engines available and due to the small diameter the nodes could be placed nicely.

Eg 9x 1.25m if they fit. It would allow 2 symmetric sets of engines, from air breathers to nukes, with the possibility to make one of them a little stronger.

That they took the render without permission? Probably :P

I guess if thats the case Nert could go after them under DMCA, but for one picture Nertea probably doesn't care about, hardly worth the trouble.

Hey Nertea, any chance of a ladder collider on that bottom hatch? :P

I hope your signature can support another mod picture link thingy.

Also, I can't wait to see how the rest of the parts come out. The crew container will have to hold a lot more kerbals now... I hope it gets a finished IVA this time.

Will there be upside-down cargo bays in this release? And that is one unique service bay, I've never seen anything like it. Never seen a combination aerospike/jet either. This is looking pretty good. :)

How about more wings? Like maybe Big-S size structural wings (like the rectangle wings in stock)? And will the Schmitar and VTOL engines be staying? Please say yes.

In regards to the bottom-bays, Nertea definitely wants to do them (they're a massively requested feature), but I cant speak for him and say they're guaranteed for the initial rerelease.

I think Nert's sig can support, theoretically, up to 4 more. However at that point I question if one man is capable of maintaining that much moddage. He does have a real life and a wife who probably isnt as passionate about KSP as we are. :sticktongue:

I second the increased wing variety. THe stock large wings were kind of underwhelming mostly due to lack of variety. THe more wing parts we have, the better. Nert, may I suggest something about B9 thickness to go with this?

EDIT: I never found the SCIMITAR terribly useful, and the VTOL engines were a bit small for the weight they need to lift half the time (at least for what I asked of them). I expect the VTOLs to make a comeback in a different incarnation more suited to the increased size of the mod, though again I am by no means an official source of information in this department.

Edited by Captain Sierra

Actually I think the crew container will be similar in capacity to last time, partly because it will be hollow with cargo room underneath. I'll probably aim for 8 passengers again. There may be underside cargo bays in this release, but then again there might not. It depends (my spreadsheet says 2.1)

I plan to rework the Yellowjacket to have a openable/closeable shroud to make it more interesting. I don't think it will be enough to lift this new extra heavy stuff (some of the parts are super-heavy when full!), but still would be useful for smaller planes I think. Planning a 1.25m VTOL engine to work better with this new form factor. I think with the new finer control over jet engine curves I can make something that works very well. The SCIMITAR will of course stay but it'll probably get some cfg modifications because it's just not awesome enough.

Re: wings, I agree that more big ones would be good, but they're certainly a far future item for this.

One thing I should mention about adapters... one of the reasons I don't think many are needed is because there are adapter pieces already. Going from the 2x2.5m adapter, you can easily make 8x to 2x 1.25m mounts using the parts stock provides. It's going from small to large that sucks visually, so I'm pretty happy once I cover that.

Edited by Nertea

Actually I think the crew container will be similar in capacity to last time, partly because it will be hollow with cargo room underneath. I'll probably aim for 8 passengers again. There may be underside cargo bays in this release, but then again there might not. It depends (my spreadsheet says 2.1)

I plan to rework the Yellowjacket to have a openable/closeable shroud to make it more interesting. I don't think it will be enough to lift this new extra heavy stuff (some of the parts are super-heavy when full!), but still would be useful for smaller planes I think. Planning a 1.25m VTOL engine to work better with this new form factor. I think with the new finer control over jet engine curves I can make something that works very well. The SCIMITAR will of course stay but it'll probably get some cfg modifications because it's just not awesome enough.

Re: wings, I agree that more big ones would be good, but they're certainly a far future item for this.

One thing I should mention about adapters... one of the reasons I don't think many are needed is because there are adapter pieces already. Going from the 2x2.5m adapter, you can easily make 8x to 2x 1.25m mounts using the parts stock provides. It's going from small to large that sucks visually, so I'm pretty happy once I cover that.

Yay :D, now I can't wait to mess with these. This is gonna be so awesome :D

You mention VTOL engines which made me think of this: Could it be possible to hide the side lobes completely? i gather you're making each part have a fuel container toggle, so what i'm asking is if there could be a "none" option that removes the tanks, leaving a flat surface (or perhaps a little nook) on which one may attach lifting engines or other goodies.

Also, wet wings!

You mention VTOL engines which made me think of this: Could it be possible to hide the side lobes completely? i gather you're making each part have a fuel container toggle, so what i'm asking is if there could be a "none" option that removes the tanks, leaving a flat surface (or perhaps a little nook) on which one may attach lifting engines or other goodies.

Also, wet wings!

Nope. Lobes stay!

So finished basic textures on adapters, took a break and textured the KE-90 'Dudley'.

mk4enginetest.jpg

the emmisive for the large engine is so beautiful! Is the large engine going to be part of the new mkiv pack? i think the 2.5m jet engine has been missing since the beginning of kerbals

edit: cant wait till i can hear what those engine sounds like XD

Edited by K.Yeon

Got a little sidetracked today....

mk4largeparts.png

From top left, clockwise: Heavy Precooler, Large Engine Nacelle (of boringness), KE-4 Turbojet, KE-90 Turbofan, Large Circular Intake, Advanced Shock Intake

the emmisive for the large engine is so beautiful! Is the large engine going to be part of the new mkiv pack? i think the 2.5m jet engine has been missing since the beginning of kerbals

edit: cant wait till i can hear what those engine sounds like XD

Yup it will be part of the pack. Finally got a plane big enough to justify a bunch of 2.5m work :D.

Well, don't get too hyped. Things on my todo list before the update...

• Model and texture the revised versions of the Iguana and Armadillo tail pieces
  • Model and texture the new crew cabin
  • Model and texture the new rear tail cargo bay
  • Unwrap and texture those 2.5m engine components
  • Unwrap and texture the pod and shield for the Yellowjacket
  • Finish specular maps for almost all the parts
  • Adjust the main cockpit IVA so it fits the new shape
  • Make a new IVA for the new crew cabin (sigh)

See it's kinda long. Might be a prerelease this next week I guess, but at the moment I'm out of time to work on this until around next Wednesday.

http://areadenialgames.com/ksp/mk4largeparts.png

From top left, clockwise: Heavy Precooler, Large Engine Nacelle (of boringness), KE-4 Turbojet, KE-90 Turbofan, Large Circular Intake, Advanced Shock Intake

Yup it will be part of the pack. Finally got a plane big enough to justify a bunch of 2.5m work :D.

Need those big engines! The GE-90 is really that huge?

May you please give a rough estimate to when you will release your 1.0.x version of MK4?

http://areadenialgames.com/ksp/mk4largeparts.png

It's beautiful, but can you not call it a turbojet? Call it what it is, a low bypass turbofan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.