[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

They both appear to restore ElectricCharge at 1.5 per second and otherwise behave identically.

Thanks for the confirm :)

Also re: the red tinge you mentioned, I do kinda see a bit of a red tinge when the parts are transparent before being attached to the craft, but once attached it doesn't appear to be noticeable.

That particular red tinge seems normal - it probably means that the part is unplaced / in an invalid position.

Do unplaced stock parts have that red tinge, though?

Thirdly, I noticed a small lighter-coloured slice on the flat top of the Mk1-2 pod cover.

I think I've seen that white patch before, although I could never figure out why it's there.

EDIT: It was a duplicate face on the model, and this has now been fixed. Good catch, Bomoo!

Fourthly, and I think this is an older issue that's resolved by installing a dependency or something, the fuel cell I tried to attach to the service module radially ended up floating off to the side a bit.

Yeah, this was in v2.4 as well, although the Service Module model / colliders haven't changed in quite a long time. In my experience, it hasn't been consistently reproduceable, and I'm not sure what might be the cause.

Edited by sumghai
Fixed the bright patch on the pod cover, thanks Bomoo! :)

That particular red tinge seems normal - it probably means that the part is unplaced / in an invalid position.

Do unplaced stock parts have that red tinge, though?

You're right, yeah. It's the standard tint for being placed in an invalid position. They get tinted green when they're in a valid one.

Yeah, I only saw one button at a time.

BTW, the heatshield code posted above does not appear to actually use the ablator, I brought a capsule in from the mun on a high speed reentry with two aerobreaking skips and didn't see any change in the ablator. I know it's copied from stock, but I'm wondering if something is missing.

No, is not using it, I've also tested with steep re-entry angles and though it doesn't explodes (heat shielding may be working) 0 ablator is being used, may be something within the model must be updated?

Sounds like an issue with the AnimatedDecouplers plugin.

Worked fine for me, even the animation!

Edited by Drakenex

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Bomoo viewpost-right.png

Fourthly, and I think this is an older issue that's resolved by installing a dependency or something, the fuel cell I tried to attach to the service module radially ended up floating off to the side a bit.

Yeah, this was in v2.4 as well, although the Service Module model / colliders haven't changed in quite a long time. In my experience, it hasn't been consistently reproduceable, and I'm not sure what might be the cause.

You know, I've recently had a similar issue with the new stock service bays, so I would be willing to bet that this is a KSP thing.

No, it not using it, I've also tested with steep re-entry angles and though it doesn't explodes (heat shielding may be working) 0 ablator is being used, may be something within the model must be updated?

I've had this happening with the stock heat shields, actually. Near-vertical descent and not a single point of ablator used, though mine wasn't from the Mun. Still, it should be taking some damage.

I've had this happening with the stock heat shields, actually. Near-vertical descent and not a single point of ablator used, though mine wasn't from the Mun. Still, it should be taking some damage.

yup! stock @3600 m/s re-entry is not using any ablator resource...

I had the problem too when I noticed that my test for duna re-entry didn't lose a single ablate. I decided to turn up the difficulty on the thermal heating to be less like stock and more like Deadly re-entry. On start you can choose 120% on thermal heating or go into debug and switch the heat-production number from .02 to something like .03

I had the problem too when I noticed that my test for duna re-entry didn't lose a single ablate. I decided to turn up the difficulty on the thermal heating to be less like stock and more like Deadly re-entry. On start you can choose 120% on thermal heating or go into debug and switch the heat-production number from .02 to something like .03

Assuming you test on both the stock and SDHI fairings, how well did the latter perform?

Assuming you test on both the stock and SDHI fairings, how well did the latter perform?

I think I deleted the stock heat shields...

Professional-grade QA.

Edit: Okay, performed a test with both the stock 2.5m heat shield and the SDHI. The test was to burn straight up to an Ap of about 82km and then fall back down as near vertical as feasible. 800/800 ablator on stock heat shield on landing, and ablator-less SDHI heat shield got the pod through just fine. Playing on normal difficulty with 100% reentry damage.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346786

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346823

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346871

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346907

Edit2: Performed another test with the stock heat shield at the maximum 120% reentry heating setting (in a new save game), same result - ablator resource not being depleted on the near vertical ascent/descent path.

Edited by Bomoo

I think I deleted the stock heat shields...

Professional-grade QA.

lel :sticktongue:

Edit: Okay, performed a test with both the stock 2.5m heat shield and the SDHI. The test was to burn straight up to an Ap of about 82km and then fall back down as near vertical as feasible. 800/800 ablator on stock heat shield on landing, and ablator-less SDHI heat shield got the pod through just fine. Playing on normal difficulty with 100% reentry damage.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346786

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346823

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346871

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435346907

Edit2: Performed another test with the stock heat shield at the maximum 120% reentry heating setting (in a new save game), same result - ablator resource not being depleted on the near vertical ascent/descent path.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Perhaps try a non-vertical ascent/descent?

Does anybody know where to download a version of this compatible with that's 1.0?
There isn't one yet, bud.
Then why are people discussing parts of this that work with 1.0? I'm fine with a dev build, I just don't know where to find them.

FireFaced, the dev build is available on my GitHub repo.

While anyone can download it to try it out themselves, the reason I'm not publicly advertising it like I would with a proper release is because it is, after a, a dev build. I'm still trying to figure out the aforementioned heat shielding issue, retune all the parts to use 1.0's new thermal properties for parts and perform rigorous testing with all dependencies / supported add-ons. All this, plus my commitments to my other add-ons and various other collaboration projects with other add-on authors.

Patience is a virtue.

I'm personally not a fan of how USI handles life support, so officially SDHI SMS only comes with native support for TAC-LS.

Feel free to devise your own MM patch for USI and distribute it youself, however ;)

l

FireFaced, the dev build is available on my GitHub repo.

While anyone can download it to try it out themselves, the reason I'm not publicly advertising it like I would with a proper release is because it is, after a, a dev build. I'm still trying to figure out the aforementioned heat shielding issue, retune all the parts to use 1.0's new thermal properties for parts and perform rigorous testing with all dependencies / supported add-ons. All this, plus my commitments to my other add-ons and various other collaboration projects with other add-on authors.

Patience is a virtue.

I looked on GitHub and I cant find a version that looks as if it's compatible.

I looked on GitHub and I cant find a version that looks as if it's compatible.

The Download ZIP button on the right of the repo's homepage grabs the entire contents of the current state of the repo. But otherwise, no, there isn't a link that explicitly says "Click me to get a 1.0 compatible build!".

I think you should probably wait for an official release.

I'm personally not a fan of how USI handles life support, so officially SDHI SMS only comes with native support for TAC-LS.

Feel free to devise your own MM patch for USI and distribute it youself, however ;)

So you're not a fan of the "they're all plants" theory, eh? :P

The Download ZIP button on the right of the repo's homepage grabs the entire contents of the current state of the repo. But otherwise, no, there isn't a link that explicitly says "Click me to get a 1.0 compatible build!".

I think you should probably wait for an official release.

I'll wait for it, but it's hard to do so when I'm planning to make a series that uses it.

EDIT: What I meant by "I can't find a build that is 1.0 compatible" is I looked in the config of the heat shield and it didn't have the KSP 1.0 heat shield module.

So you're not a fan of the "they're all plants" theory, eh? :P

Nope :P

I'll wait for it, but it's hard to do so when I'm planning to make a series that uses it.

Never design something around a part / system / technology that you cannot be sure will be available when you need it.

As much as I like people using my add-ons, I would never encourage people to use broken stuff, unless they are specifically helping me beta-test upcoming updates (those people do so with the understanding that stuff may break very very badly, and so they don't base their "series" around experimental stuff).

Real life example - at my day job, we had to stop production because a supplier kept delaying shipments of special type of industrial-grade vacuum pumps. Stopping production at a time when we have several pending orders to fill hurts our business.

EDIT: What I meant by "I can't find a build that is 1.0 compatible" is I looked in the config of the heat shield and it didn't have the KSP 1.0 heat shield module.

Should've said that at the outset, mate ;)

As you'll have noticed in the preceding pages of comments, we're still trying to figure that out. Apparently, there have been user reports that the stock heat shield is too OP in certain cases (no Ablator loss at all), and I also need to rewrite the configs in a way that can support both stock and DRE re-entry heating models.

As you'll have noticed in the preceding pages of comments, we're still trying to figure that out. Apparently, there have been user reports that the stock heat shield is too OP in certain cases (no Ablator loss at all), and I also need to rewrite the configs in a way that can support both stock and DRE re-entry heating models.

This is a similar issue I'm seeing in other mods implementing the abalatorModule as well, Tanteres and SDHI specifically. Even coming in from 80-100Km on a normal deorbiting path, I only ever see >5% of the shielding being used. When I used DREC, Id see closer to 40% being burned up. Possibly a stock bug? Heat is raycasted, isn't it?

EDIT: I think the current Aerodynamics module might be at fault, as it doesn't seem to be implementing heat generated from the skinTemperature to shields properly. But I'm just spitballing, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by sharpspoonful
Clarity (Great song buy Zedd btw!)

There was no ablation effect because all heat shields had their PhysicsSignificance set to 1... They fixed it now though, so go try the shields now and see if they work.

From the patch log, "Fixed an issue where the physicsSignificance flag was set to 1 for heat shields."

Apologies if I missed comments regarding this: What I'm a little concerned about is Animated Decouplers. It doesn't seem that starwasher's been updating it for 9 months (if it ain't broke don't fix it?). From what I can tell messing around with your service module update it does seem to be working in 1.0 (take that with a big grain of salt I've only done like 3 tests). So good news I guess?

Is AD a "requirement" or a "optional" ?

Has anyone come up with a MM patch to give the SDHI heat shield the same alblator properties as the stock 2.5? I think that would be a lovely temp fix for the moment, even with 1.0.2 the stock heat shields are not burning off much of the ablator materiel at all.

There was no ablation effect because all heat shields had their PhysicsSignificance set to 1... They fixed it now though, so go try the shields now and see if they work.

From the patch log, "Fixed an issue where the physicsSignificance flag was set to 1 for heat shields."

I heard that the physicsSignificance bug was related to heat shield-pod CoM issues, but this is the first time I've heard that it affected ModuleAblator too.

I'll keep this in mind for SDHI SMS, thanks! :)

Apologies if I missed comments regarding this: What I'm a little concerned about is Animated Decouplers. It doesn't seem that starwasher's been updating it for 9 months (if it ain't broke don't fix it?), and from what I can tell messing around with your service module update it does seem to be working in 1.0 (take that with a big grain of salt I've only done like 3 tests).

Is AD a "requirement" or a "optional" ?

If you look in the OP, it states that AnimatedDecouplers is a dependency (the word itself implies that it is a requirement). This is needed because the Service Module has an umbilical that needs to animate at the same time as the SM is decoupled from the pod, and at the time of writing the stock decoupler module does not support additional animations.

Since lots and lots of people keep getting confused between dependencies and supported add-ons, perhaps it's time to make a PSA somewhere...

Has anyone come up with a MM patch to give the SDHI heat shield the same alblator properties as the stock 2.5? I think that would be a lovely temp fix for the moment, even with 1.0.2 the stock heat shields are not burning off much of the ablator materiel at all.

As per prior posts, we're working on that right now.

Ablator appears to work now as of 1.01. Shot a test pod into a 168km x 172km orbit, came back down with a standard 30km Pe and only lost I think 21 ablator resource out of 800. They sure build them tough on Kerbin. Will test less ideal re-entry trajectories to see if it gives the heat shield more of a challenge, but yes, they appear to have fixed it.

Edit: I guess 1.02, not .01. The current version as of right now.

Edited by Bomoo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.