What if KSP had an ESRB Rating?

ExplodingRocketShips

Explosions are not violence per se. Violence is force or any kind of brutality done with the intent of destruction or impairment of living or nonliving things in a physical or nonphysical way.

The fact your rocket can disintegrate upon spinning and the tanks can explode does not qualify for violence because the game doesn't include the intent for destruction. Super Mario Bros is more violent than KSP. If explosions were neccessarily violent, then every educational video on chemistry where they show an explosion would be violent, yet it is not.

KSP has accidents, but violence does not cover accidents. Photo of a crashed car with bloody people inside is not violent. It's gruesome, and KSP is just mildly gruesome because Kerbals can actually die.

I'd use E - everyone.

"Content is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language."

It's the second rating, right above eC, early childhood.

I'd see E. "Crappy" is not mild language, I've seen it used in cartoons. As far as the understanding of rocket science is concerned, I've played E rated games that required an understanding of calculus. Now add in a weapons mod such as the lazor pack, and I would say T. It is then capable of intentionally blowing stuff up with parts who only purpose is to destroy.

I'm thinking E10+ for mild comic violence (have you seen a Kerbal when glitched out?). That said, I've heard of plenty of younger folks playing, so it's not as though the rating system would make that much difference.

Sample of deformed Kerbal

That isn't enough. Remember Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy Duck in the face with a shotgun? And his beak wound up behind his head? That's more violent, and he was deformed. Still OK.

I'd see E. "Crappy" is not mild language, I've seen it used in cartoons. As far as the understanding of rocket science is concerned, I've played E rated games that required an understanding of calculus. Now add in a weapons mod such as the lazor pack, and I would say T. It is then capable of intentionally blowing stuff up with parts who only purpose is to destroy.

That's hitting the nail on the head. Any game, and I mean ANY game, that caters to mods is inherently incomparable with the ESRB. There is never a finished game on which to apply a rating. Even post-release, a new 'adult' mod could show up in the spaceport at any time. Squad will probably never even apply for a rating.

That's hitting the nail on the head. Any game, and I mean ANY game, that caters to mods is inherently incomparable with the ESRB. There is never a finished game on which to apply a rating. Even post-release, a new 'adult' mod could show up in the spaceport at any time. Squad will probably never even apply for a rating.

From what I understand, most indie games don't bother with getting a rating. Anyways, mods aren't factored in, as you can see by Minecraft's E10(I think) rating when there are really disturbing mods out there for the game. So I think a E rating would make sense, as there isn't violence, and the game is centered on exploration.

From what I understand, most indie games don't bother with getting a rating. Anyways, mods aren't factored in, as you can see by Minecraft's E10(I think) rating when there are really disturbing mods out there for the game. So I think a E rating would make sense, as there isn't violence, and the game is centered on exploration.

I believe that the esrb for minecraft applies only to the Xbox version. So MS is behind the rating and any mods have to be approved by MS. They may even be reapplying to esrb every time they add mods to the list. And I think I'm right is saying that MS doesn't allow anything on the xbox without an esrb rating.

Space? Acknowledgment that planets are round? Fire?

Definitely controversial/adult content for the esrb.

I'm still laughing at this 5 minutes later.

I say KSP get slapped with an Ao rating, adults only. Mainly because kid me would've had his mind explode if he were to try the orbital physics KSP requires.

But has anyone else noticed Squad's recent nod to the esrb?

We now have carrier mode and science, experiments in space. But where are the test subjects? Monkeys? Dogs? Cats? Iran recently sent up worms. Nope. We have magic goo. That is Squad's tacit acknowledgement that the realities of early space travel, tests on animals with a good chance of them dieing, are definitely adult content. You can kill people all you want in games, but hurt puppies and any hope of an esrb rating disappears. (I;m with the esrb on that one)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.