Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

:0.0: What?

From what I've seen it looks more like grabbed parts aren't being removed correctly and the physics is trying to push the ship away from what it thinks is an intersection with the grabbed part.

I may be 'captain obvious' here, but I've been thinking about this problem for a little bit. I think it may have some conflict with the grab code and how KSP is handling parts separating from the craft. It appears that KSP x64 thinks that when the grab code is activated it makes the conflict and thinks the craft is crashing/exploding.

Man if I only knew how to compile with C#
same here
I may be 'captain obvious' here, but I've been thinking about this problem for a little bit. I think it may have some conflict with the grab code and how KSP is handling parts separating from the craft. It appears that KSP x64 thinks that when the grab code is activated it makes the conflict and thinks the craft is crashing/exploding.

Yes but its more like random disassembling:

I'm starting to wonder if it is to do with timing. I don't have a particularly powerful CPU (Athlon X2 240), but I do have Max Physics Delta-Time per Frame set to the minimum (0.03 sec). This may lower my framerate, but ensures the physics simulation is as accurate as possible. Something to check/try perhaps?

I currently have an absurdly powerful machine FX 8x 4.5ghz, corsair dominator ram, 2x Radeon HD5770s, and always BOOM!

Yes but its more like random disassembling:

Just an observation:

In the sequence around 2:10 it looks as if the game thinks the Kerbal and the port are attached in that they are both revolving around a common centre of mass.

I've had that same crazy CoM thing without KAS. I want to say I saw it once or twice before I started adding mods back in, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm running 64bit windows build, so... who knows!

Currently I have:

Toolbar

Connected Living Space

Crew Xfer

Deb Refund

Editor Extensions

Enhanced Nav Ball

FAR

KJR

Klockheed Martian stuff

Mod Statistics (cause mods...)

Hot Rockets

Cool Rockets

Docking Port Alignment

Final Frontier

Procedural Fairings

Real Chute

Remote Tech 2

Smoke Screen

Toadicus Tools

Trigger Tech

Tweakable Everything

Tweak Scale

Universal Storage (core)

I don't currently have KAS installed...

64Bit Kas.dll (just compiled didnt changed the version checker so it will throw a warning) (DRopBox Link) (Plugin only) License - Source code

I am not sure if this is apart of the know issues, but after copying the above link into my KAS "thanks for posting the DLL :-) " I discovered that the hinges don't work and the console to control them is not displayed within game, after you have launch the craft.

I've had that same crazy CoM thing without KAS. I want to say I saw it once or twice before I started adding mods back in, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm running 64bit windows build, so... who knows!

Currently I have:

Toolbar

Connected Living Space

Crew Xfer

Deb Refund

Editor Extensions

Enhanced Nav Ball

FAR

KJR

Klockheed Martian stuff

Mod Statistics (cause mods...)

Hot Rockets

Cool Rockets

Docking Port Alignment

Final Frontier

Procedural Fairings

Real Chute

Remote Tech 2

Smoke Screen

Toadicus Tools

Trigger Tech

Tweakable Everything

Tweak Scale

Universal Storage (core)

I don't currently have KAS installed...

To you and anyone else having odd camera/CoM issues, the culprit is RealChute; It has been updated to 1.2.2.2 which should resolve any issues you are having, but you need to delete/destroy any crafts you have in a save that was using RealChute parachutes before continuing to play. It's been talked about there that the symmetry of the parachutes seem to be causing some sort of craft-destroying bug.

after playing around with the code (and killing a dozen Kerbals from 1400m/s collisions...)

There's some strange stuff going on. Let me document this:

The grab function seems to work as thus:

First, it does the Align EVA Position check, which for some reason moves the part to the Kerbal's EVApack, without detaching it from craft. Apart from this, this function also drops everything the Kerbal is holding to hold onto the new part, which makes sense.

If we remove everything else from the function, and using Time Control mod to slow down time 6400%, the part appears on the kerbal's back for about 1-2 frames before 'snapping' back to the craft. This exerts about the same amount of force as a 100-200KN rocket engine going off next to it (partially because Time Control makes the physics alot more accurate)

Looking closely at AlignEVAPosition(), the following can be observed:

A pipe does not have an srfAttachNode, so we add one to it, or rather, it gets updated. then, we store this.part.srfAttachNode in partNode

Then, we drop everything on the Kerbal.

And then some stuff that manipulates the partNode and does rotation... confusing here. so i won't go into it in detail.

Secondly, there's some code for Winches, which i ignored.

Then, some collider stuff that doesn't mean anything to me (first look at mods ever, sorry)

Afterwards, Detach() is called for all Grab()s. It's interesting to see that nothing happens here:

if (attachMode.Docked) Detach(AttachType.Docked);

if (attachMode.Coupled) Detach(AttachType.Coupled);

if (attachMode.FixedJoint) Detach(AttachType.FixedJoint);

if (attachMode.StaticJoint) Detach(AttachType.StaticJoint);

but attachMode actually doesn't resolve to any of these values, when I tested it.

Detach() doesn't do anything. *sadface* this part is weird.

Then since i'm grabbing a pipe from a spacecraft, we run DecoupleFromAll(), which runs decouple() (if the parent still exists, which... why does the parent exist if Detach() is supposed to get rid of the parent... I don't understand. ) and also decouples every children it has, or something. It doesn't matter. i was grabbing a pipe end point.

And then runs Couple( on kerbalEVAPart's root, which is the kerbal, i suppose), here, or after this, the engine throws "PartJoin, provided nodes aren't valid" error, which is a Unity error and I don't know which line throws it because the string table's tucked away somewhere else ^^;

having DecoupleFromAll + Couple blows the spacecraft up, without it, a lot of force is applied but the ship will behave much more peacefully, and rarely do parts fly off/joints break.

===================

Otherwise, in my commenting things out adventure:

if you comment out the AlignEVAPosition call ONLY, then the part should just fall to ground but still feels as if its attached to the vehicle programmatically, and some nullexception error is thrown.

I hope this analysis helps other devs a bit in figuring out the cause of the problem.

Edited by Xrave

Is there a way to modify a Part to work with KAS. I'm dumb and made a space station with a docking area that I didn't add a docking port to. I would love to just through one into the next rocket headed to it and use KAS to attach it.

Here's KospY's super useful reference guide to adding the required module(s) to make a part grabbable/a winch/a container. :)

https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/Part-Modules

WTF, okay so KAS (just the straight 0.47 download, no recompiled dll) and it only bloody WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really am not sure why but I have tested alot of grabbing and attaching various parts and no explosions......... weird

This is my #1 most wanted/needed mod for .24! I'm ready to start laying down planetary bases and do some extensive kethane work, and it's a major pain in the arse without KAS!

Hope the author or other modder gets it working in .24 x64 soon!

If you have mod skills and didn't see, the creator gave permission a few pages back to "mod the mod" in order to get it working for .24 until an official release can be had. Flip back a few pages if you've missed it. So far I do not believe there is any stable version for .24 64 bit whatsoever, and there's a somewhat-stable version going for 32 bit.

The 32x Windows version is what I use and because of the fewer bugs I'm finding KAS to work without fault. The only thing I need is a recompile that will get rid of the incompatibility message. The ones that have been made available based on an x64 recompile break the mod for me. I tried using the new .dlls under x64 and x32 conditions. They caused all KAS part functionality to stop for me. Maybe I missed something in the past 20 or so pages of posts that I've gone through but is there a recompile of the .dll by a 32-bit user that will get rid of the mod incompatibility pop-up?

Your first-born what? I hate it when someone promises their first-born and it ends up being a first-born mutated troglodyte-canine hybrid. Ruins my day every time.

Even if they meant their first born child why would you even want to take them up on that offer? Why take on all the responsibility, time commitment, and expense of a child without even the benifit of the fun part of makeing that child? Seriously I can have more fun makeing my own than accepting someone elses as payment. Folks really need to come up with a better way of enticeing work out of other people.

.24, 32bit version here. After some extended gameplay with a healthy amount of kassing i can say it definitely works for me.

Not 100% sure what for surprises lurk at the corner, but the grab, attach, carry etc. stuff that i need the most are fine. No explosions. ;)