Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I took some parts (parachutes) on space, to put them on a ship (to make it land on kerbin), but when i go on eva and i grab it, i can't control eva and I finish to go away from my ship loosing control :(

Is there a way to do this "mission" ?

Could anyone help me, please?

I need some pointers to make part compatible with KAS - make it storable and attachable.

And yes, I've found KAS wiki page.

Well basically in the Wiki (more specifically in this LINK, you see the different things you can add to your part .cfg file.

So you open that file, and just add the following lines anywhere, usually at the end of the file just before the last "}" that should exist in that file.

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
storable = true
storedSize = 1
attachMaxDist = 2
attachOnPart = true
attachOnEva = true
}

And basically just read what each line does, and keep adding, remove or delete those you want.

I havnt tested the above code, but im sure you will get it from the descriptions in the wiki.

MUN base flys away after linking.

i've got 2 small bases, each have a mounting pylon nearby. 2 pylons linked together, link one base to the pilon and the oher to the other, and base 1 starts flying way and pulls on the pipes and yanks over the other base. am i missing something here? new to KAS.

thanks for any help.

I took some parts (parachutes) on space, to put them on a ship (to make it land on kerbin), but when i go on eva and i grab it, i can't control eva and I finish to go away from my ship loosing control :(

Is there a way to do this "mission" ?

I had the same problem. I had to push the part along until it got close enough to the ship. If it starts going in the wrong direction grab it and use just W and S to move it.

MUN base flys away after linking.

i've got 2 small bases, each have a mounting pylon nearby. 2 pylons linked together, link one base to the pilon and the oher to the other, and base 1 starts flying way and pulls on the pipes and yanks over the other base. am i missing something here? new to KAS.

thanks for any help.

Nope, sounds about typical ;)

More seriously, try these 3 things, loading your pre-connection save game every time:

1) Turn off SAS on both of your bases. You don't have to turn off the reaction wheels, just hit "t" on each base you're connecting. Then try again.

2) If that doesn't work, go back to the Space Center and then go back to your bases and try again.

3) If that doesn't work, then exit the game (the whole game, not just your save. Like exit to the desktop and reload the game) and try again.

Hopefully one of those will do it. I hope you had a save game!

I have a problem here, I'm trying to attach the connector a ship for refueling but pressing "h" isnt doing anything. Did they change the key or did I mess up somewhere?

From what i can see in your pic, you have used the "link" feat of the pipe instead of "grab" and "attach". You need to have an End Connection part in the other craft.

If you got any other spare pipes, use Grab, then go use Attach on the ship that needs fuel. And from there you can use "Link" to join the 2 ports together and do your stuff.

Hmm although now that im checking the picture more, i think thats not a Fuel Pipe Connector, thats the other one, i cant be sure since i have'nt used it in a long time, but im guessing it also needs an "End point" part on the other ship, like the "Stack connector port".

I noticed also that attaching a solar panel won't let the base charge. panel works fine but will not transfer power to the base

When you add a moving part to a ship, including solar panels, wheels, and extendable ladders, I always need to do a quicksave/quickload before they work properly. Ladders were the funniest. They appear to work, but the Kerbals just walk through the extended ladder without being able to grab it. :)

I have a problem here, I'm trying to attach the connector a ship for refueling but pressing "h" isnt doing anything. Did they change the key or did I mess up somewhere?

<snip image>

Nope you are not doing anything wrong, KAS has some sort of hard to squash bug with this. Most have just accepted that the save/reload or KSC and back sometimes resolves the issue. Personally I've had whole containers full of parts just vanish, kerbals forever lost in space with no way to control them anymore, no matter what combination of tricks (everyone I've seen suggested). Really unless you are fond of loading and saving and or any combinations of tricks on a regular basis I would wait a little longer for this mod.. It is so dang sweet, but if you like me and having your repair crew become uncontrollable and floating through structures like a ghost and his tool box simply vanishing with all his parts somewhat annoying (it basically broke my save and several hours of work) so yeah ticked off, but it is the chance you take with this mod. I knew that it could happen and it did.

I've been watching this mod for a few days now. I really was looking for a way to be able to tether my berbals to a ship or station in orbit while they are on EVA (safety mechanism):) Is there a way to do this? Can someone help me do this?

So i've been wanting to use KAS in career mode, and i did everything this guy here says,

So to use what i posted, you will need to download the DLL from the link above, the recommendation is to put the dll directly into your GameData folder, and then create a text file called something like KAS_Tech_tree.cfg (any name you like, as long as it ends .cfg) and paste what I posted into it. Personally, I have a folder in GameData where I put all my ModuleManager files, but you can actually put it anywhere you like underneath GameData.

But nothing happens, i still can't access the parts in career mode. Is there something i'm missing here?

I found the supplied config adds KAS to the Meta Materials node which is waaaaaaaaay deep in the R&D tree. You might not have gotten to it yet.

Nope. The config has them at the start, specialized construction/general construction.

I still checked anyway and it wasn't there.

I found a huge bug with this mod. When you have a radial connector port attached to the winch head. and you grab it and attach it to the side of a ship. It defaults to docked mod and not undocked mode. This may be fine for orbital applications. But can easily cause ships to get trapped inside each other on the ground. It needs to default to undocked mode.

This mod is silly in the best way, I've gotten more fun out of screwing around with KAS than I have with KSP in general lately

LqKf1Cl.png

(Apo:120~Km suborbital)

The test ended successfully as the final opening of the chute did Not rip the chute off his back.

It's a little impractical due to the size and mass of the radial parachute making the Kerbal incapable of walking on Kerbin or using RCS in 0G, but the parachute works correctly and doesn't break off, unlike the sepatron which fails to produce thrust

IDK if anyone has found this but but I was putting together a interplanetary ship in LKO the other day and was using KAS strut endpoints between modules of the craft. Each module was joined by quad docking ports but I decided to add KAS struts just in case. Everything was going smoothly until I was docking my second to last module, The 4 ports on it docked successfully with the module before it but when I had a Kerbal go EVA to link up the struts to reinforce the connection after I linked up the first pair of endpoints the entire ship started shaking violently and eventually was ripped apart. All Kerbals survived however despite a Kerbal that was in an Interstellar mod Science Lab having to do a 20km spacewalk to join up with the rest of the crew in the surviving forward section. Just letting everyone know beware of inter-module struts and to let the authors of the mod know about a bug.

Hi folks,

I've just released Kethane 0.8.1, so I'll be turning my attention to KAS now. I'll probably start major work this weekend, and to make that easier, I have two requests:

1. Make sure all known bugs are reported on the issue tracker on Github. I'll be using that as my tasks list.
  2. Provide thorough reproduction steps. I'm not very familiar with the KAS codebase yet, so detailed reports are important for tracking down bugs.

Both those points apply at all times, but it's particularly important for this round of fixes. I don't have an ETA on a KAS update yet, but I'm aiming to put out several rounds of patches as issues are resolved.

I don't know whether this is intentional or a bug but if I want to attach any type of hook to a retracted and locked winch I am unable to do so from EVA. I can do it in the VAB while constructing but once I take it off on EVA I can't put it back on. In the example image you first see the kerbal with the grapling hook picked up on his back. Right clicking the winch connector gives me the option to grab or lock the connector which doesn't help.

Next I tried using attach to get the hook mounted on the winch which didn't work either (see img 2)

The only way to actually get the hook onto the winch on eva without attaching the hook to somewhere else first, grabbing the cable and plugging it into the hook is described in #3 and #4. I have to extend the winch a bit, then approach it and right click the connector which then suddenly gives me the option to "plug grabbed". After that the hook is attached.

Now is this the intended behaviour? I remember with one of the earlier versions of KAS (when you had the hook storage containers) you were able to just plug the hook in and take it away as you pleased even while the winch was retracted and locked. Shouldn't there be a plug grabbed option while the winch is retracted so things don't wobble about while you try to stick that hook on there?

BwtNTFR.jpg

nope, I tried that but it glitches out, one of the kerbals is rendered brain dead and the other one bugs out a lot. If you made a grabable winch that should work except that Kerbals don't have batteries so the winch won't run, it'll be slackline.

Edit: Ok so I made it work, it doesn't work well, the process is fraught with glitches, and the results are not very useful but http://i.imgur.com/wIFqnDh.png

Glitch one, KASGrab breaks most of KASWinch's UI, you will have to use your keyboard as nothing else is gonna work.

Glitch Two, EVA Kerbals are no longer able to access KASWinch's buttons, unless they have grabbed the winch, refer to glitch 1

Expected behavior Three, a held winch has no power and thus cannot operate

Glitch of EB3 Four, Setting the operation cost of a winch to 0 makes it not a winch

Common Glitch 5, KAS negates the physics of held items, they still have weight but nothing else

5.1 The end of the winch cord does not collide with stuff (including the ground) and you cannot retract it without attaching it to a ship, and on a ship you can't access the speed control so it takes a really long time

5.2 You must pick up the end of the cord first, if you pick up the winch the end falls through the ground and your ship

5.3 The kerbal holding the end of the cord Cannot impart force onto the kerbal holding the winch

5.4 The kerbal holding the end of the cord is thusly trapped within a sphere of radius matching your cord length of the other kerbal

5.5 The kerbal holding the end of the cord gets pulled along as a ragdoll, it does not follow under it's own power

5.5.1 In 0G the cord end kerbal will function as a swinging pendulum working against the winch end kerbal, making EVA RCS functionally unuseable

5.5.2 In low gravity the cord end kerbal is likely to throw himself into the air bouncing along the ground and will probably swing around and smash into the ground, killing themselves, because they cannot pull against the winch end kerbal

Majiir is aware of most of this and the rest can be logically concluded, I do not believe this to be an issue so I will not be putting in an official ticket with the issue tracker, this is not a reasonable thing to try and do, and most of the bugs are the result of greater issues that are already on the docket, but also this is just not a good way to achieve the EVA-Tether effect.

Edited by Greys