[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

If only I could have one more desire to satisfy, that would remain the 'configurable pane'. VOID's Orbital Info pane I tend to keep always open (with extended info subpane as well), but is a bit too obtrusive on the GUI. However, while manouvering (or waiting the correct time) I really need to keep watch of one or two values here and another there, e.g. Periapsis + Inclination + Orbital period. Would like to be able to setup myself a custom pane (or a few, to account for different circumstances) with only the chosen values displayed, and keep just that custom pane open.

Stay tuned. I don't have an ETA yet, but something like that is definitely in the cards. :)

Great Plugin!

Two things, it seems quick saving/loading messes with the vehicle panel? I have had it go blank a few times, and loading a quick save seems to be the cause.

Secondly, since your on the topic of the precision level buttons, could you make it so a right click loops through the precision level in the opposite direction?

Hi. I'm having a little problem with the editor part of the VOID Plugin.

The icon seems to be stuck to the middle of the screen.

6E87148DA7FEDC8C70B99E14CC7887CAC5CEBD2B

Don't know if it's relevant, but I do use a custom screensize set manually in the KSP settings.cfg

If you need anymore info, let me know

Russ

Great Plugin!

Two things, it seems quick saving/loading messes with the vehicle panel? I have had it go blank a few times, and loading a quick save seems to be the cause.

Secondly, since your on the topic of the precision level buttons, could you make it so a right click loops through the precision level in the opposite direction?

1. That's something I've been chasing down; it's to do with a disconnect arising between KSP's idea of staging and VesselSimulator's, I think. My internal version at least fails a bit more gracefully, but I'm still working on it.
  2. ...Maybe? I'm not sure that's something Unity makes simple. I'll look in to it; if I can, I will (though in the next version that will be less necessary).

Hi. I'm having a little problem with the editor part of the VOID Plugin.

The icon seems to be stuck to the middle of the screen.

Don't know if it's relevant, but I do use a custom screensize set manually in the KSP settings.cfg

If you need anymore info, let me know

In the editor, the VOID icon should move with the main setting panel; that is, if you move the main VOID window, the icon will move as well. Are you unable to drag the panel around?

In the editor, the VOID icon should move with the main setting panel; that is, if you move the main VOID window, the icon will move as well. Are you unable to drag the panel around?

Derp!. Nothing to see here, move along.....

Thank you :)

Russ

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.14! This is another set of small changes to improve the usability of the configurable-precision values, and to spread them throughout a few more panes. As a teaser, know that I also have a specification and a scanner written for fully-configurable windows and HUDs. :)

CHANGELOG:

v.0.9.14 [2013-11-30]
* TWEAK: Added rate limiting to Vessel and Surface & Atmosphere panes.
* TWEAK: Values with configurable precision will now manipulate the unit prefix (e.g. Mm vs. km vs. m) instead of just adding a bunch of digits after the decimal.
* TWEAK: Precision cycling is now toggled by clicking anywhere on the label or value of configurable values. Configurable values are now denoted by an "â±".
* TWEAK: Precision cycling now limits itself within reasonable bounds. Right-clicking now cycles through precision values in reverse.
* BUGFIX: Will no longer sometimes cause exceptions before the scene is fully loaded.
* BUGFIX: Improved failsafes around VesselSimulator calls.

Version 0.9.14 seem to be working really fine. Good job!

However, I may have found a minor issue with the GUI: the skin for the various panels can be configured only while the HUD is open; when the HUD is closed, any skin for open panels gets reverted to "MainMenuskin". As if the skin was a property associated to the HUD, instead of global to VOID.

Waiting for a next version with the fully-configurable window...

Version 0.9.14 seem to be working really fine. Good job!

However, I may have found a minor issue with the GUI: the skin for the various panels can be configured only while the HUD is open; when the HUD is closed, any skin for open panels gets reverted to "MainMenuskin". As if the skin was a property associated to the HUD, instead of global to VOID.

Hmm. I can't duplicate that, so I'm going to suggest that it has to do with an interaction with another mod. First step: can you download this DLL into your GameData/VOID/Plugins folder (replace the old VOID.dll) and tell me if it fixes the problem for you? It assigns the GUI skin per module, instead of just in the core (and also, for some reason, in the HUD).

Hmm. I can't duplicate that, so I'm going to suggest that it has to do with an interaction with another mod. First step: can you download this DLL into your GameData/VOID/Plugins folder (replace the old VOID.dll) and tell me if it fixes the problem for you? It assigns the GUI skin per module, instead of just in the core (and also, for some reason, in the HUD).

Definitely yes, that DLL works, I can close the HUD keeping remaining windows with the skin a chose. Anyway, with this DLL the configuration window opens but is empty, so I cannot use any control to modify skins or other settings.

And you are right, my KSP is pretty heavy with mods.

Now you have kind of suggested an idea: wouldn't be possible to have a "master setting" about the GUI for all mods? Do you think modders may agree with a common standard here?

Definitely yes, that DLL works, I can close the HUD keeping remaining windows with the skin a chose. Anyway, with this DLL the configuration window opens but is empty, so I cannot use any control to modify skins or other settings.

And you are right, my KSP is pretty heavy with mods.

Now you have kind of suggested an idea: wouldn't be possible to have a "master setting" about the GUI for all mods? Do you think modders may agree with a common standard here?

Wait, that .DLL fixed the skin issue but broke the config window? That doesn't make any sense, I added literally one line of code, nothing to do with the config, and it works fine for me.

Can you follow these steps for me?

1. If open, close KSP
  2. Open KSP
  3. Load up a flight
  4. Open the VOID config window
  5. If it is broken, close the game forcefully (the window "x", alt+f4)
  6. With KSP still closed, copy the KSP output log to pastebin and link it here. In Windows, the log lives in /path/to/KSP_win/KSP_Data/output_log.text, in Linux it's ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log.

Thanks!

Wait, that .DLL fixed the skin issue but broke the config window? That doesn't make any sense, I added literally one line of code, nothing to do with the config, and it works fine for me.

Can you follow these steps for me?

Did that, please find the output_log here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/frjhth6959n545r/output_log.txt

I bet the issue is tied to one of the two new mods I installed today. Will exclude them one at a time and report back the soonest.

OK, I have a pattern and a possible way out. Redid the whole fandango with install, change .dll and so on.

With the latest released VOID version, even brand new install, still VOID windows did not follow the VOID configuration, but remained fixed to one skin. Can't say if they take a skin from another mod, which one it is.

With the newest VOID.dll and the config.xml file that VOID wrote, the configuration window remains empty. Again.

Deleting only the config.xml file so to let the new VOID.dll recreate it, all is good.

Please see if that all could be useful, hope it helps making this excellent mod easier to install for everybody.

So, does removing the config.XML fix it permanently, or does it fail again after the next timeyou reload the game?

From the looks of the log, this is probably to do with a mismatch in the number of skins available; basically, your config had saved an index for a skin that is no longer available. My guess is you have or had a mod that added skins to the list of available skins in the game and caused the issue, perhaps when it was removed or updated. I'll tighten up the logic around saving the GUI skin selection and get back to you this evening.

So, does removing the config.XML fix it permanently, or does it fail again after the next timeyou reload the game?

After removing the config.xml, all is well for the next time the game loads. However, a config.xml file is recreated (I see it is marked with the time for when I leave the game). Restarting with the new config.xml brings back the problem. I have to remember to cancel that file each time.

Well, this version surely talks a bit, was showing something like "VOID_Core loaded..." in white text in VAB and flight. However, no VOID icon and no VOID window at all appear. That is with an almost clean install (just MechJeb and PreciseNode, beyond VOID of course), not the install I play with, so to minimize interference from other mods. Below the output_log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frjhth6959n545r/output_log.txt

BTW, I checked back with the released version 0.9.141 on my main install. That works, but for the issue with the skin I initially reported. Configuration window rocks there.

Edited by diomedea

VOID has been updated to 0.9.15! Many thanks to diomedea for helping me to chase down a bug.

CHANGELOG:

v.0.9.15 [2013-12-02]
* BUGFIX: VOID GUI skin preference will now play nicely with MechJeb.
* BUGFIX: Saves to disk will now only take place when things actually need saving.

Thanks to my pseudoreligious attention to FAR, I stumbled across blizzy's "standardized" toolbar button integration plugin thinger today (and noticed that diomedea suggested that VOID would benefit from it).

Swapping VOID to the toolbar (or even allowing one to swap between the button and the toolbar) should be pretty easy. I'm all about helping the modding community clean up our screens, but before I got that route, any objections here?

VOID has been updated to version 0.9.16! This version adds 100% optional support for Blizzy's toolbar. Use it or don't! If Blizzy's mod is present, VOID will detect it and use it if you configure it to do so. If you don't, it won't, whether it's there or not. I've also fixed a couple of bugs.

FYI, I am still working on the scriptable panels! But... it's a time consuming endeavor, and I'm currently working two paying jobs at the same time, so productive contiguous coding sessions for VOID are hard to come by. So, not to fret, I'm still pushing forward towards that goal, but it's probably going to be into the new year before I get it done.

v.0.9.16 [2013-12-14]
* FEATURE: Optional support for Blizzy's Toolbar.
* BUGFIX: Orbital pane: Fixed erroneous mislabeling of "Time to Apoapsis" to the correct "Time to Periapsis".
* BUGFIX: Certain values will no longer display debug information inline.
* BUGFIX: VOID will no longer spam seemingly-random integers into the log file.

NOTICE: The zip file I uploaded originally contained the wrong .dll; I've fixed that for my mirror and spaceport. Enjoy!

Edited by toadicus
Added zip file fix notice.