[1.12.*] Deadly Reentry v7.9.0 The Barbie Edition, Aug 5th, 2021

Starwaster

Yeah, it's a big problem with any thin parts now that the VAB doesn't even try and stop part clipping. Shows up a limitation in FAR too, you get abnormally high terminal velocities. It would take another mod or a change in the stock game to fix it.

I think the mesh has to be in the same folder if you use the mesh field. (mesh =)

If you want to use a mesh from a different folder then you have to use the MODEL node.

However, there's a simpler way to do what you're trying to do:

+PART[6.25_Heatshield]
{
@name = Reusable_6.25_Heatshield
@author = Entropius // Except you really aren't, so it would be better if you did author = Bobcat, Entropius

@title = Reusable 6.25m Inflatable Heatshield
@manufacturer = Entropius
!MODULE[ModuleDecouple]{}
}

I actually tried replacing mesh= with model= a couple times, no dice though. But that's moot now since the config you offered does work and is a lot cleaner. The only downside is that I can't get the part to appear in a custom part group separate from the real Deadly Reentry group (despite the reassignment with @manufacturer), but organizing parts isn't as important as actually getting the part to work at all.

By the way, the author name there was merely an attempt to better control where the mod appears in my part-organizer if it had shown up (which proved to not work out anyway, so I'm going with proper author attribution now).

Thanks a bunch!

I actually tried replacing mesh= with model= a couple times

For future reference, it's not model =, it's a node. (i.e. MODEL{})

:)

example:

MODEL
{
model = DeadlyReentry/Parts/deadlyReentry_6.25Heatshield/model.mu
//scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
//texture = can't remember how to specify texture but you wouldn't have needed it anyway
}

That same window has a toggle to 'Open Debugging Menu'. That's the menu that you always used to edit those options.

Huh, either I'm completely blind, or there's something wrong with my install. I don't have anything to open the debug menu.

I tried re-downloading 6.4.0 and re-installed it, but no dice. Can't get the toggle to show. Is there any other way to adjust the values, in a config file somewhere?

Huh, either I'm completely blind, or there's something wrong with my install. I don't have anything to open the debug menu.

I tried re-downloading 6.4.0 and re-installed it, but no dice. Can't get the toggle to show. Is there any other way to adjust the values, in a config file somewhere?

It can only be opened in flight mode so the option only shows up in flight mode.

Evening,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I would like to know if there was a way to remove the parachute destruction above 300ms feature. My drogue shoots tear beyond this speed and I find it difficult to slow the 1man pod down below 500ms with FAR installed.

I've exhausted many hours trying to slow the early capsule below mach 1 to no avail. Even the most gentle, 60km perapsis reentry results in a 700ms @ impact return.

Being able to slow my descent with drogues would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help,

Hello.

First I would like to say this is an awesome mod, but unfortunately it has not been working for me of late.

After the update to 0.90 (and DRE 6.4, and FAR which is on my second version since BETA than ever.) DRE seems to do less and less. For a while it was ablating 2 or 3 points off my heatshield but has now dropped to nothing. I tried to reenter from a steeper trajectory (250km to a negative PE) and still no ablation.

I tried to delete DRE and re install from the zip package. I deleted MM (V 2.5.6) cache files and tried again. Finally I deleted the career and started a new one. It is like DRE isn't even there.

I am running stock size KSP with DRE currently set to hard from the in game menu. (I used to just leave it on normal.) The last reentry I did was with stock capsule from 85X85 orbit to a PE of -150 KM or so. (Traditionally I aim for a 23 KM PE and am used to some ablation on normal from LKO.)

I have a bunch of mods but the ones that would affect this would be just FAR. (After that I have some parts packs such as Tantares, KW Rocketry, ETC and utils like Docking Alignment, KER, KAC, ETC. Finally Active Texture.)

I am running Windows with 32 bit KSP.

output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oiuazhv78ajoe5b/output_log.txt?dl=0

@Westair - Did you add a heatshield to the 1 man capsule?

I just ran a 410km ap to 31km pe re-entry profile and had no issues(FAR 0.14.6 and DRE 6.4.0, no other mods installed). By the 12 km mark i was below 300m/s, and when I popped the single mk16 at 8km it was down to 220m/s.

Only possible catch is that it only used 16/250 ablative, which meant that I came down faster than I expected after chute deployment.

I've exhausted many hours trying to slow the early capsule below mach 1 to no avail. Even the most gentle, 60km perapsis reentry results in a 700ms @ impact return.
This is a FAR issue, compounded by the new editor behaviour. If you connect two parts bottom node to bottom node, so that they're clipping into each other, rather than the normal bottom node to top node, then FAR will get the drag all wrong and you'll get high terminal velocities. With thin parts like heatshields, avoiding such a "wrong" connection can be difficult.

hmm. I was hoping for a more definitive answer. Kerbal lives are at stake! Would I know immediately if something were off, or is it more of a "fly there and see" type of thing?

Or, better yet, is there a more recent version of settings I could use that would accomplish a similar level of difficulty? Or is that even necessary?

If you'd like a more recent version of those changes, they can actually be found within my BTSM mod. Just grab the "DRPartBalance.cfg" file out of it and you should be good to go. The changes I previously posted here that you were talking about were just an earlier version I was developing for BTSM.

I've been looking back through the pages and I just want to say thanks to Starwaster for being awesome. I don't think there were hardly any posts in the last 15 pages that didn't get an immediate response from him. Thanks for the staggering amount of dedication to this and other mods! :D

And this is for anyone: Has anyone found a good settings config for 6.4.0 that they think works well for stock Kerbin that they wouldn't mind posting? I saw a few suggestions from Starwaster in the last few pages, but when I try editing things myself, it either seems to do nothing or still seems wrong in some way or another. The presets are all too easy, I have to go halfway to moon orbit to get anything unshielded to overheat, and as stated in other posts, I still get very little ablation. I just want to see something explode.

And this is for anyone: Has anyone found a good settings config for 6.4.0 that they think works well for stock Kerbin that they wouldn't mind posting? I saw a few suggestions from Starwaster in the last few pages, but when I try editing things myself, it either seems to do nothing or still seems wrong in some way or another. The presets are all too easy, I have to go halfway to moon orbit to get anything unshielded to overheat, and as stated in other posts, I still get very little ablation. I just want to see something explode.

That's actually what I was talking about above :)

For convenience, here's the settings I use in BTSM:

// config file to rebalance Deadly Reentry parts and stock parts with DR heat shields for stock game feel.

@REENTRY_EFFECTS[*]:Final
{
@shockwaveMultiplier = 1.0
@shockwaveExponent = 1.09

@heatMultiplier = 25
@temperatureExponent = 1.03
@densityExponent = 0.85
@startThermal = 750 // formerly set at 250. No longer needed due to DR changes.
@fullThermal = 1150
@afxDensityExponent = 0.8
@gToleranceMult = 2.5
@parachuteTempMult = 0.5

@crewGClamp = 30
@crewGPower = 4
@crewGMin = 5
@crewGWarn = 300000
@crewGLimit = 600000
@crewGKillChance = 0.75

@ridiculousMaxTemp = 2500
@maxTempScale = 0.5

@dissipationCap = True

// the following turns off per planet atmospheric density variation
@legacyAero = True
@useAlternateDensity = False
}

@RESOURCE_DEFINITION[AblativeShielding]:Final
{
@isTweakable = false
}

// Command Pod MK1
@PART[mk1pod]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]
{
@dissipation
{
@key,1 = 800 480
}
}
}

// 1.25m Heatshield
@PART[1.25_Heatshield]:Final
{
{
@dissipation
{
@key,1 = 800 480
}
}
}

// Heat Shield for Mk 1-2 Pod
@PART[2.5_Heatshield]:Final
{
{
@dissipation

{
@key,1 = 800 240
}

}

}

@PART[0625_Heatshield]:Final
{
{
@dissipation

{
@key,1 = 800 640
}

}

}

@PART[3.75_Heatshield]:Final
{
{
@dissipation

{
@key,1 = 800 60
}

}

}

// probe cores

// Stayputnik Mk1
@PART[probeCoreSphere]:Final
{
!MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]
{
}
}

// nose cones

// Aerodynamic Nose Cone
@PART[noseCone]:Final
{
{
}
}

// Protective Rocket Nose Mk7 (large one)
@PART[rocketNoseCone]:Final
{
{
}
}

// wings

// AV-R8 Winglet
@PART[R8winglet]:Final
{
{
}
}

// Swept Wings
@PART[sweptWing]:Final
{
{
}
}

// Delta-Deluxe Winglet
@PART[winglet3]:Final
{
{
}
}

// AV-T1 Winglet
@PART[winglet]:Final
{
{
}
}

// parachutes

// Mk16 Parachute
@PART[parachuteSingle]:Final
{
{
}

!MODULE[ModuleAnimation2Value]
{
}

// overriding DR's changes to default deployment altitude and pressure
@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@minAirPressureToOpen = 0.01
@deployAltitude = 500
}
}

// Mk16-XL Parachute
@PART[parachuteLarge]:Final
{
{
}

{
}

@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@deployAltitude = 500
}
}

// Mk25 Parachute
@PART[parachuteDrogue]:Final
{
{
}

{
}

@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@minAirPressureToOpen = 0.007
@deployAltitude = 2500
}
}

// Mk2-R Radial-Mount Parachute
@PART[parachuteRadial]:Final
{
@MODULE[ModuleParachute]
{
@deployAltitude = 500
}
}

// other

@PART[trussAdapter]:Final
{
@maxTemp = 1250 // 5000 stock, reduced to 2500 by DR, but still too high
}

// modular girder segment
@PART[trussPiece1x]:Final
{
}

// Modular Girder Segment XL
@PART[trussPiece3x]:Final
{
}

Part of the problem I think has to do with the changes Ferram did to FAR that deal with drag in the upper atmosphere, which is a lot higher now than it used to be. It's probably slowing the craft down faster, while not building up heat like it used to.

Just for a change of pace, just ran a 40,000km ap x 31km pe re-entry profile, with the mark 1 pod and a single mk16 parachute. At 70km was going 3.3km/s, which isn't bad for stock size kerbin, and did get enough heat to blow the single oxstat I had for power, but still only used 37/250 ablative. Both runs were with DRE set to normal, no changes made to any configs.

Edited by Rebelgamer

Thanks for the advice guys. I re-installed FAR, made sure the heat shield was NOT clipping through, and now I'm hitting 300m/s at about 10,000 meters (instead of hitting 700m/s at sea level). You guys rock,

(Going to keep the settings on hard. Those 3,000m/s re-entry speeds don't really heat my pod up that much) :cool:

Oh wow Thanks! Ninja'd by Flowerchild! Yeah, that wasn't there when I was typing it, so good timing! So quick question: Should I name that config custom.CFG or set it as one of the presets?

You can just drop it in anywhere in the Gamedata/DeadlyReentry directory saved as "whatever.cfg" :)

It actually overrides all the different difficulty options to be the same given BTSM is balanced around a single set of options, so no need to worry about that part.

Keep in mind, that's balanced around a totally stock install though, both in terms of stock sized Kerbin, and stock aero. Not sure how well it would work with FAR or what have you. There are also a few BTSM specific changes in there like ablative shielding isn't a tweakable resource and the parachutes are reset back to having stock deployment altitudes and pressure that you may or may not want in your game. They should be pretty obvious in the config though and can be disabled just by deleting the relevant sections.

Edited by FlowerChild

Hello, I'm having a huge issue with the .90 version of Deadly Reentry. I've tried it with a variety of mods and with a small handful as well, and the issue persists. Basically, after I add more than 4-5 parts to a craft (basically when I'm on the mission to hit 11Km or higher), as soon as I go to the launchpad I get a massive drop in framerate (i'm talking unplayable amounts, like 1fps). The only other major game mechanic mod I play with is FAR, along with ATM and a couple part mods. I've tried using it with multiple different mod setups, including minimalist setups with just a few tacked on plugins, and the issue still persists. Any ideas?

Just wondering about something. I tested aerobraking my 20 metric ton lander into Duna coming at a velocity of 1200 m/s at around 15 km above Duna. I tried it without a heatshield with DRE and FAR and my ship was perfectly intact. Is this normal? I'm on normal mode in DRE and am just wondering whether Duna's atmosphere really IS that wimpy.

Hello, I'm having a huge issue with the .90 version of Deadly Reentry. I've tried it with a variety of mods and with a small handful as well, and the issue persists. Basically, after I add more than 4-5 parts to a craft (basically when I'm on the mission to hit 11Km or higher), as soon as I go to the launchpad I get a massive drop in framerate (i'm talking unplayable amounts, like 1fps). The only other major game mechanic mod I play with is FAR, along with ATM and a couple part mods. I've tried using it with multiple different mod setups, including minimalist setups with just a few tacked on plugins, and the issue still persists. Any ideas?

Need your output_log.txt

It sounds to me like you're probably being hit by multiple errors repeatedly. Spammed by them. The logging of them could be what's causing the lag.

Just wondering about something. I tested aerobraking my 20 metric ton lander into Duna coming at a velocity of 1200 m/s at around 15 km above Duna. I tried it without a heatshield with DRE and FAR and my ship was perfectly intact. Is this normal? I'm on normal mode in DRE and am just wondering whether Duna's atmosphere really IS that wimpy.

1,200 m/s?

That's a pretty gentle reentry even for Kerbin. Duna only has an atmospheric pressure of 0.007 at its deepest canyon.

Need your output_log.txt

It sounds to me like you're probably being hit by multiple errors repeatedly. Spammed by them. The logging of them could be what's causing the lag.

1,200 m/s?

That's a pretty gentle reentry even for Kerbin. Duna only has an atmospheric pressure of 0.007 at its deepest canyon.

Oh actually, when approaching 15000m I'm going at about 2000m/s. So is it normal that I don't need heatshields for Duna?

Edited by Insanitic

Yeah, Duna is pretty gentle. The air's so thin, a snowball would survive aerobraking.

Haha, so do you personally use heatshields when aerobraking/landing on duna? Because if not, I could get rid of my shields to save on cost and weight.