[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

I assume "*Converted orbits to Earth-relative inclination, to support axial tilt" means that earth appears un-"tilted" in a "tilted" solar system?

Ok so today's KSP time started something like this: Find new version of RSS. Download and install. Purge install of unwanted parts to reduce RAM usage to maximise new found beauty. Open squad folder and purge of any parts that aren't essential - the mk2 spot lamp and a couple of others that stock extensions rely on is all that survived. Currently searching for alternate lamp... Congrats on an awesome mod!

I assume "*Converted orbits to Earth-relative inclination, to support axial tilt" means that earth appears un-"tilted" in a "tilted" solar system?

Correct. There's a limitation in the game that prevents us from really having tilted planets so we have to work around it.

Any chance of an updated 10x scale Kerbin system? One using the new features, and the KSC is not in the ocean?

There's an alternate config for one in the OP

Ok so today's KSP time started something like this: Find new version of RSS. Download and install. Purge install of unwanted parts to reduce RAM usage to maximise new found beauty. Open squad folder and purge of any parts that aren't essential - the mk2 spot lamp and a couple of others that stock extensions rely on is all that survived. Currently searching for alternate lamp... Congrats on an awesome mod!

Or use the texture compression tool and keep your parts. The Gamedata folder in my RSS install is a page full of extra mods, mostly parts.

Or use the texture compression tool and keep your parts. The Gamedata folder in my RSS install is a page full of extra mods, mostly parts.

All ready using that. Squad has been looking dubious in there for a while now :wink:

Looks graet, but 1) is it imposible to change a KSC dislocation? and 2) is it imposible to make Mun like a real Moon? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean by 1, but it is possible to change KSC's location on Earth. For 2 that is also possible. You need to edit RealSolarSystem.cfg, find Mun and replace starting from PQS with:

SSColor32 = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MoonColor.png
SSBump = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MoonNRM.png
PQS
{
Mun
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
heightMapDeformity = 9500 //7500
}
PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeight // doubles
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
persistence = 0.7 //0.5
frequency = 1 // 12
//octaves = 10 // 8 // A DOUBLE
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight // floats
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
frequency = 12 // 12
//octaves = 7 // 6 // INT
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = 0 //-2000.0
heightMapDeformity = 17300.0 //15600.0 //7000 // 5000
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/MoonHeight.png
}
PQSMod_VoronoiCraters
{
KEYvoronoiSeed = 462
deformation = 600 //200
//voronoiFrequency = 100 //50
}
}
}

You'll also need the 3 files themselves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u905265zkzp6t27/MoonColor.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xndbstwizodt6nx/MoonHeight.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyfiw0mecl03i9f/MoonNRM.png

Correct. There's a limitation in the game that prevents us from really having tilted planets so we have to work around it.

Starwaster is right. For needlessly abstruse technical details see my (now merged) pull request.

The initial rotation is weird I think, since at 1950-01-01 00:00:00.0000 Temps Atomique International the sun should be pretty much at the nadir in Greenwich, while it looks ~10 degrees off in KSP. Any ideas as to how initialRotation actually works?

EDIT:

The center of the textures seems to be 0 N, 90 W (silly American maps), so that is consistent with by 90 degree offset. I am confused.

Edited by eggrobin

Not sure what you mean by 1, but it is possible to change KSC's location on Earth. For 2 that is also possible. You need to edit RealSolarSystem.cfg, find Mun and replace starting from PQS with:

PQS
{
Mun
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
}
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
persistence = 0.7 //0.5
frequency = 1 // 12
}
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
frequency = 12 // 12
}
{
}
PQSMod_VoronoiCraters
{
KEYvoronoiSeed = 462
deformation = 600 //200
}
}
}

Thanks a lot) it is very useful for me. tell me please, can i change KSC dislocation with my hands or i need "special mind" for this?

Thanks a lot) it is very useful for me. tell me please, can i change KSC dislocation with my hands or i need "special mind" for this?

Fairly sure the PQSCity section for Kerbin deals with KSC's location. I'm not sure why there's 3 launch sites though, I guess if you change Cape's data it should work.

Any chance of an updated 10x scale Kerbin system? One using the new features, and the KSC is not in the ocean?

The secret here (for your second problem) is to edit the block that says

PQSCity
{
KEYname = KSC
repositionRadial = 158200.0, -220.0, -570000.0
lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
}

I don't have the right values for you quite yet. I'm mostly trying guess and check, but it seems the first value is the one you want to fiddle with. I'm getting good results by decreasing it by around 2000. Unfortunately my first test resulted in this:

http://i.imgur.com/1TSwVPp.jpg

Aye, that's a cactus. We're buried in the desert.

Edited by TomatoSoup

SpacedInvader: ridged altitude curves are what you should use to make slopes into cliffs.

For the moon, AndreyATGB posted those files; they should help. And yes, a lot of the issue is that Squad planets have nearly the same max elevation as do real-size planets, but real-size planets are ~10x larger--indeed they will look different.

Minimus doesn't have a heightmap IIRC, and the PQSMods are probably different. So just copying over the PQSMod nodes probably won't work...I need to get the generic PQSMod config loader from krag working.

maccollo: yup, thank eggrobbin :)

camlost: heh, no. Well, that kinda used to be true but for the last couple months not so much.

eggrobbin: it's possible the sphere isn't quite aligned right or something?

Captain_Party: Supported since RF v5

mortuus, AndreyATGB: the site of KSC can be changed in RealSolarSystem.cfg. I have left some commented-out alternate locations in the file. Some pages back Ferram and Captain_Party were releasing packs that included many different launch site options. To change a launch site, you open the cfg, find the KSC block, and change latitude and longitude. You probably also need to change the latitude and longitude of the MapDecalTangent right below it.

Does this update mean that the RSS Launch Window Planner will no longer work? It's pretty awesome, so I hope it is still accurate. Should have a link in the OP for it.

Don't see why it wouldn't, all that changed as far as I can tell are the orbit inclinations with respect to the sun. The planets should have the same inclinations relative to each other and the orbits haven't changed since they were already accurate.

PQS
{
Mun
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap
{
}
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
persistence = 0.7 //0.5
frequency = 1 // 12
}
{
deformity = 1200 // 400
frequency = 12 // 12
}
{
}
PQSMod_VoronoiCraters
{
KEYvoronoiSeed = 462
deformation = 600 //200
}
}
}

OMG! This is awesome! now where can we get the rest of the planets & moons to correctly (as much as we can) represent our solar system? not to be greedy but this is just amazing! If we get get all the planets & moons done like this all we have left is to create biome maps for them, then we will have a truly "real solar system". Now that Earth (it has a decent biome map from amo28, although it could use tundra/deserts added IMHO, but its well done none the less) and Luna are done, we could work our way from out/in in order, towards Mars and Venus. I'm very excited for this

Is there by any chance a biome map for custom biomes that will fit nicely with these Luna/moon files?

I used to play RSS with Earth sized Kerbin until the new RSS v.6 patch came out. Is that still possible a.k.a what .cfg edit should I do if I want Kerbin back? Having Earth is awsome, but Kerbin with Proots Renaissance Compilation looks way too promising right now IMHO.

Also, has atmospheric height been raised from 104 km to 180 km with this update?

OMG! This is awesome! now where can we get the rest of the planets & moons to correctly (as much as we can) represent our solar system? not to be greedy but this is just amazing! If we get get all the planets & moons done like this all we have left is to create biome maps for them, then we will have a truly "real solar system". Now that Earth (it has a decent biome map from amo28, although it could use tundra/deserts added IMHO, but its well done none the less) and Luna are done, we could work our way from out/in in order, towards Mars and Venus. I'm very excited for this

Is there by any chance a biome map for custom biomes that will fit nicely with these Luna/moon files?

Yes, I've put in height maps and color maps for as many planets as I could. Posted the thing a while back and it's for v6 pre so you'd need to change it for the newest. Also was for PlanetFactory as well. You can do it yourself if you want, all you need to do is add the same lines to new planets and it should load. You will have trouble finding height maps though, most planets haven't been mapped at all, let alone height maps.

To clarify, you'd only need to add the SSColor32 for color maps to load in cases where there aren't height maps available (all I found was Mars, Mercury and Venus).

I used to play RSS with Earth sized Kerbin until the new RSS v.6 patch came out. Is that still possible a.k.a what .cfg edit should I do if I want Kerbin back? Having Earth is awsome, but Kerbin with Proots Renaissance Compilation looks way too promising right now IMHO.

Also, has atmospheric height been raised from 104 km to 180 km with this update?

yes. We could have taken it even higher but it affects putting your craft on rails. (i.e. no non-physics timewarps)

I've tried it with pressure curve data that models the atmosphere all the way to ISS altitudes. Definitely an interesting experience.

Incidentally, this particular set of data uses NASA's atmosphere model here: Earth Atmosphere Model (metric units)

So although we still have an arbitrary cut off point (necessary) this is about as close as you're going to get.

Edit: One caveat: Other mods still assume a cutoff of scaleHeight * 1e-6. MechJeb for example will assume the max atmosphere altitude is lower than it really is. I've opened an issue on the MJ2 github site with a couple of suggestions for handling it.

Edited by Starwaster