[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

only bug i found so far is when i got to orbit the LazTekDragonSolarPanels i have had a energy flow of 2.2 billion energy yes 2.2 billion. on ground they where fine with the reduced ammount of power output.

powerCurve

{

key = 206000000000 0 0 0

key = 13599840256 1 0 0

key = 68773560320 0.5 0 0

key = 0 10 0 0

}

is its poewr curve

thats the only solar panel ive used so far since still getting use to getting in orbit around the new kerbin

After my satellite open the solar panels,the electric still decreases and finally it lose control.Should I edit powerCurve of the solar panel?:rolleyes:

yes since the rescale is father from sun than other planets solar pannels make less power. so u need either edit it or add more panels. for me i have choice of 20 differnt solar panels from differnt packs i use. if there is a mod with a solar panel even if its not updated for .22 good chance it work just manulay add it to tech tree and u good to go.

After my satellite open the solar panels,the electric still decreases and finally it lose control.Should I edit powerCurve of the solar panel?:rolleyes:

I think NathanKell said his next update is going to include automatic solar panel compensation, so if you do edit powerCurve settings, make sure to keep a backup.

more solar panels make the small satallite seem weird,i'd rather edit the powerCurve:)

yes since the rescale is father from sun than other planets solar pannels make less power. so u need either edit it or add more panels. for me i have choice of 20 differnt solar panels from differnt packs i use. if there is a mod with a solar panel even if its not updated for .22 good chance it work just manulay add it to tech tree and u good to go.

more solar panels make the small satallite seem weird,i'd rather edit the powerCurve:)

depend on what sat is for. when i design my sats for remotetech i have 3 types of power. first i have enough rtg to cover cost of the control part of sat. 2 i have enough batteries to try to cover 75% of the time at a min of its dark side power needs. and 3 have enough solar to cover 100% plus 15-20% of its power needs in sun. im one of those that keeps debris on so i can get alot of kerbin debris.

well its all down to personal prefernce. i dont design my sats to be like rl ones i design them how i would do if i was desining a sat for nasa or such.

Thanks for all the great work Nathan. I personally would value it most if you put the other planets into their correct orbits as well so we have a complete SOL solar system in addition to our good old Earth and Moon.

Thanks for all the great work Nathan. I personally would value it most if you put the other planets into their correct orbits as well so we have a complete SOL solar system in addition to our good old Earth and Moon.

He's working on that.

Did I understand correctly that there is some problem with a proper implementation of axial tilt? Reading up on the major solar system bodies yesterday I realised how varied the tilt is even in our humble system. It will not pose a major problem when navigating in space, but attempting a landing will be very different than the real thing.

Maybe we should just tell Venus and Uranus to behave :D

Am I the only one who wants a Sol sized Kerbol system and not the Sol System itself?

Did I understand correctly that there is some problem with a proper implementation of axial tilt? Reading up on the major solar system bodies yesterday I realised how varied the tilt is even in our humble system. It will not pose a major problem when navigating in space, but attempting a landing will be very different than the real thing.

Maybe we should just tell Venus and Uranus to behave :D

Yes. Unfortunately it looks right now like the only options for getting axial tilt to behave correctly are all different degrees of what you might call hacks. There is a possibility that the underlying issue will be fixed for 0.23, after recent contact with the devs, as it is a relatively minor internal problem, but we can't work around it from the outside. Axial tilt is quite sizeable on nearly every major body in the solar system, so it is crucial for a half-way decent implementation.

I would say just release it without axial tilt. I don't think axial tilt is that big of a deal in terms of added gameplay, except maybe for Uranus. I would think that other methods like tilting the entire solar system to Earth's axial tilt would be even more unrealistic.

Also, you don't have to simulate the Kerbal Space Center launchpad as being at 28.5 degrees latitude. After all, there are other launchpads on Earth besides the Kennedy Space Center. Maybe a mod that can move the entire KSC complex to another site on the planet would be useful here.

I would say just release it without axial tilt. I don't think axial tilt is that big of a deal in terms of added gameplay, except maybe for Uranus. I would think that other methods like tilting the entire solar system to Earth's axial tilt would be even more unrealistic.

Also, you don't have to simulate the Kerbal Space Center launchpad as being at 28.5 degrees latitude. After all, there are other launchpads on Earth besides the Kennedy Space Center. Maybe a mod that can move the entire KSC complex to another site on the planet would be useful here.

Oh, it's not stopping any releases. There are other things Nathan is working on.

Is there any plan to "raise" the current camera ceiling in the VAB? Because I have a slight problem with my Saturn V-esque rocket:

921F96A1E1225F5272CC34EC9C933BB7AD059B01

14E520F24E28D9F0D6D384B93E6C4A87CF63E8A1

Believe it or not, I need to raise this thing further up so the launch clamps can work correctly instead of causing the entire thing to explode on launch when the physics loading gets to the part where the main engines are embedded in the launchpad and makes it go "You know what, I'm exploding everything." :P

Is there any plan to "raise" the current camera ceiling in the VAB? Because I have a slight problem with my Saturn V-esque rocket:

Believe it or not, I need to raise this thing further up so the launch clamps can work correctly instead of causing the entire thing to explode on launch when the physics loading gets to the part where the main engines are embedded in the launchpad and makes it go "You know what, I'm exploding everything."

:P

I think Nathan's dealt with that. Don't think it's released yet though.

Am I the only one who wants a Sol sized Kerbol system and not the Sol System itself?

I believe this has been discussed before. The downside of a Sol sized Kerbol system is that you lose all available navigational data and have to start from scratch. The main advantage of a proper Sol system is that you are able to use all existing real life navigational aids. Just look at how the big guys are doing it and voila, life is a lot easier.

I think I prefer this, as it is not only a little easier, it is also a great opportunity to learn about our real solar system and space flight in even more detail. Experiencing certain things is just a lot more powerful than reading about them. I always considered myself to be quite versed when it comes to space related stuff, but the number of things I learned since I started playing KSP is quite amazing.

I always considered myself to be quite versed when it comes to space related stuff, but the number of things I learned since I started playing KSP is quite amazing.

Same here. I've heard aerospace engineers who have studied orbital mechanics all their life say that after playing KSP they had a much better intuitive grasp of the concepts of orbital mechanics than ever before.

This is because KSP presents complex stuff in intuitive, visible way. That's one of it's big advantages over Orbiter. Lacking a map besides a low-res MFD and with much worse graphics, it just doesn't let you imagine those things so clearly. It does present much more realistic experience, but it's not as easy to learn from it. Also, KSP's exaggerated scale makes some things much easier to see. For example, rendezvous IRL is a much subtler, more delicate affair than in KSP, and therefore harder to grasp. Combined with KSP's ability to give you a look inside the ships you're flying (an aspect completely nonexistent in Orbiter, maybe besides modding) and you've got a perfect learning tool.