[1.2] Real Solar System v12.0 Dec 8

NathanKell

The Karman line is basically the height at which the speed required to generate enough lift to keep flying matches orbital speed. Which happens to be roughly at 100km on average (depends on local weather conditions). I think. I might have mixed it up with something else.

You're right about Karman line, but a height of 150km (IIRC, that's what we use) is a pretty good estimate. At that, it's possible for most spacecraft to maintain orbit for at least one revolution, without propulsion. While plenty of drag remains at that altitude, it's a pretty good choice.

@Archer From the other forum:

As for mods (other than what you've cited) I use (all have been balanced for realism; the latest MFS has the configs):

AIES (Engines, Science, Utility, RCS)

Clouds and city lights

Crew Manifest

FASA for engines and Mercury/Gemini

Proc Fairings are a must as AbeS says

KW (the engines and solids only)

Mission Controller Extended, for realistic costs even if you don't fly the missions

My own handrolled addons (mini SRBs, mini probe RCS tank, some engine rescales to fill gaps, realism mods for other mods)

NovaPunch (Engines, solids, decouplers, LES, struts)

Procedural Wings

RLA Stockalikes for the engines are RCS

StretchyTanks (with my patch; handles all my tanks)

TAC Fuel Balancer (so you can easily use your service module's electric charge and hydrazine first, say)

TAC Life Support

Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace

EVA Parachutes and ejection module

You'll want KW and NP (with the MFS changes) for big engines and big solids (although Stretchy's SRB can do the latter). You'll want AIES and RLA for probe parts, since your probes will have to be much smaller compared to stock unless you want to launch them on the equivalent of a Titan-class LV.

Oh, and MechJeb for calculating TMIs and giving info. Ascent guidance does still work on Earthbin, btw, you just have to use way different values.

(And the other "what about the other planets" questions): Yes, coming up.

Also, AndreyATGB, thanks for the catch; I was looking at SMA but copy-pasted perihelion, oops.

Mr Shifty, definitely going to play around with rotation now. I'll see what I can do. That's a very good tip about inclination; if I can't get it any other way I'll do that. Sadly it'll only work for one planet though.

Also, yes, 23h56m4.1s is indeed the rotational period. :)

Also can the sun be upscaled along with its gravity (needed for proper escape velocities and orbital speeds between planets). One more thing/suggestion - I would very much like a PACK, containing all supported/recommended mods without the overlapping parts (example - fairings exist in at least 4 mods). For example the KOSMOS engines are not supported. I'm sure mod devs won't have anything against that.

you can very easily delete the parts you don't want, simply by going into the mod's parts fie and deleting the files for those parts

I know i can but a complete package would be much more convenient! Also less room for mistakes.

(And the other "what about the other planets" questions): Yes, coming up.

Also, AndreyATGB, thanks for the catch; I was looking at SMA but copy-pasted perihelion, oops.

Mr Shifty, definitely going to play around with rotation now. I'll see what I can do. That's a very good tip about inclination; if I can't get it any other way I'll do that. Sadly it'll only work for one planet though.

Also, yes, 23h56m4.1s is indeed the rotational period. :)

Reading about this fantastic mod is dragging me away from my studies, but after a very small bit of testing and analysis I think I can see how to do custom rotation to allow proper axial tilt for every CelestialBody (or other changes in the angular motion of a body, for example if you want to implement astronomical models of the future/past motion/rotation of the Earth) without hacking or breaking anything. If you get stuck I might be able to find the time to explain the details. If a larger amount of free time comes along I would work on the KSO mod instead, so I won't be able to actually work on this mod myself.

Edit: Also, which thread should be used for discussing the planet rescale mod? People seem to be discussing it in both threads.

Edited by ZRM

ZRM: thanks for the "it's possible" :)

(And the high praise, obviously! :] )

Also, YGPM.

I'd like discussion of the planet rescales themselves to be in this thread, and the dev thread reserved for general realism work (real-size rockets, what masses are correct, what other mods are needed and we don't have yet, etc.)

iVG: A number of prominent mods do not allow redistribution, even unmodified redistribution (and for a realism pack, they'd be modified.) However, if modders _are_ interested in having their work also in a single Realism Overhaul Package, modified for realism, that would be useful.

Question. I can't make the stretchy tanks to work with the modular fuel systems, I can change configuration on engines but not on the stretchy tanks. Suggestions?

EDIT: Got the fix from NathanKell's signature.

Edited by iVG

@NathanKell: Maybe make a poll for 1:1 or 64%? I'd vouch for 1:1, I don't see the problem with that. I don't have all that much time to play now, but I have experienced "no"(besides the standard kerbal problems) problems with launching so far. Not to mention docking is much more intuitive, I find it exhilirating! Especially considering the fact that the ground reference frame does not shift so quickly either. Launching is more fun too, at least, when using Joint Reinforcement.

Suggestions for planets:

Minmus and Gilly:

Resize both of them and move them to orbits around Duna, this could then be analogs for Phobos and Deimos.

Ike:

Move Ike to Jool.

Dres:

Dres could become either A: another moon around Jool(WE NEED MOONS) or B: Rescale so that it can represent Ceres(you might want to switch Dres and Eeloo around).

EE:

The rest of the planets simply become analogs for the planets in order: Mercury(Moho), Venus(Eve), Earth(Kerbin), Mars(Duna), Ceres(Dres), Jupiter(Jool and all its moons as internal analogs) and Pluto(Eeloo).

Just a bonus three images:

http://i.imgur.com/zVqgcHV.png

A perfect launch! The Launcher is slightly underpowered, i need to use around 170m/s dV from the "Kerion" CTV. that leaves it with 350m/s dV for orbital maneuvering.

http://imgur.com/YvnvUtz

Doing a slightly more realistic low dV rendevouz over several orbits!

http://i.imgur.com/nTVL66i.png

An absolutely perfect docking!

I love this idea and love this mod. I have a question though, if you are scaling all the planets up to actual size are you scaling the distances as well? If so... Are you going to change the time warp feature to allow faster time warp when traveling to farther away planets.

yVIqQa9l.png

Syncom 2 in Geostationary equatorial orbit. Please ignore the fact that the central antenna is far too fat for the real deal.

Also, solar panel fix is working. That'll be int he next update.

7488275: There was discussion of time warp a few pages back--my answer was, faster time warp would be nice, but it's not a high priority given we have 100,000x timewarp (1.25days/second); yes, distances are being rescaled (it says in the OP: "Kerbin and Mun are rescaled and placed in their correct orbits.")

ANWRocketMan: I think, with ferram's latest, we can just blast ahead with 1:1. That's certainly what I did for the Real Gemini config I did for frizzank's Gemini and it works great. Regarding planets, that approach sounds good, but it'd be worth it to have a poll regarding full-on real solar system (minus the Saturnian and Uranusian systems, alas), or just rescale things in place.

7488275: There was discussion of time warp a few pages back--my answer was, faster time warp would be nice, but it's not a high priority given we have 100,000x timewarp (1.25days/second); yes, distances are being rescaled (it says in the OP: "Kerbin and Mun are rescaled and placed in their correct orbits.")

It does say that yes but... I didn't know if that was just going to be limited to Kerbin's SOI or if that would affect all rescaled planets later on.

minus the Saturnian and Uranusian systems, alas

That may not be a permanent situation. You just wait until December and I finish off then release the KSO mod, then I'll be able to work on my so far unused results of my investigations into how best to add more bodies to the game and how to make PQS setups from scratch. I'm not promising anything yet, just don't continue the project on the assumption that the bodies you have are the only ones you'll ever have. If memory usage becomes an issue with more planets and a plethora of moons we can always make an alternative Linux only (and therefore 64 bit) version.

Also, have you tried my suggestion about abusing rotationPeriod to allow custom rotation? Does it work out alright?

Excuse me maybe I missed something but what is the KSO mod?

It's the Kerbin Mini Shuttle (or Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) I'm working on with helldiver. Currently that thread is filling up with "Is it ready yet" posts because work has stalled since I returned to university, so I would steer clear for the time being. All claims of feature creep and poor management are baseless. It's very close to being ready for release, just needs a few issues sorting out.

ZRM: Don't see why it wouldn't, but haven't had a chance yet. Busy day alas. Still nailing down a few existing things before I try that. But thanks again, it's brilliant!

And, heh, yeah, re: other planets, not going to say it's impossible. Never Again. Just not on my radar yet. :)

It's the Kerbin Mini Shuttle (or Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) I'm working on with helldiver. Currently that thread is filling up with "Is it ready yet" posts because work has stalled since I returned to university, so I would steer clear for the time being. All claims of feature creep and poor management are baseless. It's very close to being ready for release, just needs a few issues sorting out.

Ah, so it's that. Sorry, I only knew it as Kerbin Mini Shuttle. I have been following that for a while.

Edited by Reddragon

Ah, so it's that. Sorry, I only knew it as Kerbin Mini Shuttle. I have been following that for a while.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion. All of the files I am working with use internal names like ksoCockpit etc., due to the convention that started when helldiver first sent me the models, so it's stuck in my head as KSO.

/offtopic

I was so happy to discover this mod in the Scott Manley video yesterday, so I went all-out with the Modular tanks mod and did a to-scale Apollo mission. Imgur album and Reddit thread.

Thanks for all your work!

Other than some difficult-to describe instability, the only bug I want to point out is the Mun seeming to have some kind of height layer that hovers some 10's of km above the real ground. It was weird to pass through that on my way into the landing.

Oh crap. I committed, but didn't sync with the repo. Sorry.

(Also, I haven't done much to this in the last couple days; was finishing MFS 3. It has your heat multiplier in RealSettings.cfg now, asmi. :) )

OK, minor fixes uploading now.

Next I'm going to rewrite the way planet changing works, to (1) abstract it all so it can be done by cfg and (2) implement ZRM's idea regarding axial tilt.

EDIT: Up.

v3 -- \/

*Automatically multiplies distances in solar panels' powerCurves by 11 so that they yield rated charge.

*Fixed Kerbin's SMA

Edited by NathanKell

Awesome mod!

I tried it without any other mods and it seems to work pretty well. You just need about 11-12 km/s to reach orbit. I used my Jool ascent rocket and got to land on the Mun and Minmus in a single flight. Minmus is a little off, it seems to orbit Kerbin about 10 times faster than it should (its orbit is outside the Mun's, but its orbital period is much shorter than the Mun's).

As far as Saturn/Uranus/Neptune go, can you make copies of Jool, maybe color them a different color, and then resize them to the right proportions? Can you even make multiple copies of planets? I'm thinking it would help with populating some of the giant planets' moons and the asteroid belt.

Looking forward to more updates!